• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Problem with Roland Versacamm vs-640i

Sortrac

Hello everyone! I have been having problems with my Vs-640i for a few weeks now, and I've pretty much did everything I could, and no change so far.
2 weeks ago I lost both sides of Cyan on my print head. (was printing about 10% of test lines, but never more, and they changed position on every test i printed)
Changed the cap top, and it helped, but did not fix the problem.
Changed the dampers, did not do anything. went about to change the print head (again, since my last head change was only last year) plug everything back, same problem.
changed the dampers again for roland originals (the ones I installed were digiprint, print head too)
changed the wires just in case, still same problem.

The tech says he now wants to change the print head again, but this time with his own print head, and says that since I purchased it from digiprint it could be the problem. which I don't buy. What are the odds of two print heads with the exact same problem back to back. If we go through with this, it means I spent 2200$ on a print head last year, 2200$ for a print head at digiprint this year, 1500$ of labor, and now he wants me to put in another 3000$ print head in.

to recap :

-changed cap top
-changed dampers (twice)
-changed print head
-changed wires to head
-ink lines inspected, no air or leaks
-blue ink does flow when I unplug the tubes from the dampers, and dampers are full. it does just not print cyan. (same problem as before. test print prints 10% of the cyan, and changes place everytime i do one.)

Has anyone had a similar problem? i'm fresh out of ideas.

Also to be known; I run a bulk tank setup with the horizontal cartridges.

Thanks!!

JSS

Hello everyone! I have been having problems with my Vs-640i for a few weeks now, and I've pretty much did everything I could, and no change so far.
2 weeks ago I lost both sides of Cyan on my print head. (was printing about 10% of test lines, but never more, and they changed position on every test i printed)
Changed the cap top, and it helped, but did not fix the problem.
Changed the dampers, did not do anything. went about to change the print head (again, since my last head change was only last year) plug everything back, same problem.
changed the dampers again for roland originals (the ones I installed were digiprint, print head too)
changed the wires just in case, still same problem.

The tech says he now wants to change the print head again, but this time with his own print head, and says that since I purchased it from digiprint it could be the problem. which I don't buy. What are the odds of two print heads with the exact same problem back to back. If we go through with this, it means I spent 2200$ on a print head last year, 2200$ for a print head at digiprint this year, 1500$ of labor, and now he wants me to put in another 3000$ print head in.

to recap :

-changed cap top
-changed dampers (twice)
-changed print head
-changed wires to head
-ink lines inspected, no air or leaks
-blue ink does flow when I unplug the tubes from the dampers, and dampers are full. it does just not print cyan. (same problem as before. test print prints 10% of the cyan, and changes place everytime i do one.)

Has anyone had a similar problem? i'm fresh out of ideas.

Also to be known; I run a bulk tank setup with the horizontal cartridges.

Thanks!!
As mentioned you are using Bulk inks, Did you put in new bottle of cyan ink, and then faced the issue.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
As hand851 asked, let's start with a nozzle check.

Having the exact same issue with a new head means the head isn't the problem. You appear to have changed just about everything that could be an issue. Is the captop a Roland OEM or aftermarket. If aftermarket, then I would suggest replacing it with an OEM captop. Also, a tip on damper installation is to wet the damper O rings, top & bottom with cleaning solution, as well as the damper posts on the print head, when installing new dampers. It makes it easier to install them and makes for a better seal. You might want to carefully remove the dampers and do this and then re-install them. Close the choke valve before doing so to keep ink dripping to a minimum. Also, after replacing the dampers, did you follow the correct procedure, which is to do 1 power clean, then a choke clean?

I have not had any issues with heads from DigiPrint-Supplies , and I've purchased quite a few of them, so I guess the tech wants to sell you a print head rather than do any serious troubleshooting, (stay away from DigiPrint-USA and Miami Sign Supplies, both somewhat unreputable). There is a wealth of real world technical expertise available here, so let us help you before putting in a replacement head.

Sortrac

Can I see a nozzle check?

Here are the pictures of the nozzle checks. after many cleans and tinkering, got the left side cyan to work, but saddly the right side never gets better.

Attachments

• IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5445.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 655

Sortrac

As mentioned you are using Bulk inks, Did you put in new bottle of cyan ink, and then faced the issue.

Thats exactly where i'm at right now. waiting on my cartridges to arrive to bypass the bulk system. should normally arrive today

Sortrac

As hand851 asked, let's start with a nozzle check.

Having the exact same issue with a new head means the head isn't the problem. You appear to have changed just about everything that could be an issue. Is the captop a Roland OEM or aftermarket. If aftermarket, then I would suggest replacing it with an OEM captop. Also, a tip on damper installation is to wet the damper O rings, top & bottom with cleaning solution, as well as the damper posts on the print head, when installing new dampers. It makes it easier to install them and makes for a better seal. You might want to carefully remove the dampers and do this and then re-install them. Close the choke valve before doing so to keep ink dripping to a minimum. Also, after replacing the dampers, did you follow the correct procedure, which is to do 1 power clean, then a choke clean?

I have not had any issues with heads from DigiPrint-Supplies , and I've purchased quite a few of them, so I guess the tech wants to sell you a print head rather than do any serious troubleshooting, (stay away from DigiPrint-USA and Miami Sign Supplies, both somewhat unreputable). There is a wealth of real world technical expertise available here, so let us help you before putting in a replacement head.

Started with an aftermarket captop, and had some issues with it, so replaced it with an OEM. Dampers have been wet to install as instructed, and procedure was followed to the letter. (changed twice just in case). I really appreciate the help. I have been running at half production for the past few weeks, and I really have no idea what to do next.

other fact i just recalled : when the tech was here to replace the head, he insisted on doing a few fill ink, since at the time we had no blue ink at all. ended up wasting about 3L of ink, and had to fill my bulk tanks, exept the cyan one, which hadn't lowered at all.

I posted a few pictures of the latest nozzle checks.

Sortrac

I have an idea, but I need to know your ink configuration first.

Hi Jim,

what do you mean by ink configuration? would a picture of my bulk tank setup help?

As for the ink itself it is Rite Media Procolor 3

Attachments

• IMG_5446.JPG
    IMG_5446.JPG
    568.5 KB · Views: 705

Sortrac

Update :

Just received my new ink cartridges and same result after many cleans and nozzle tests. here are the new results

Attachments

• IMG_5447.JPG
    IMG_5447.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 826

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The picture told me what I needed to know. You are running CMYKx2. The VS-640i has 5 possible ink configurations.

It appears you may have a clogged ink supply line. Please send me a pic of the ink lines at the top of the print head showing the ink lines connecting to the dampers. A soon as I see that, I will be able to tell you what I would like you to do to see if we can resolve your problem.

Sortrac

The picture told me what I needed to know. You are running CMYKx2. The VS-640i has 5 possible ink configurations.

It appears you may have a clogged ink supply line. Please send me a pic of the ink lines at the top of the print head showing the ink lines connecting to the dampers. A soon as I see that, I will be able to tell you what I would like you to do to see if we can resolve your problem.

Here are the images you requested. tell me if they are ok.

thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5450.JPG
    IMG_5450.JPG
    611.4 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_5451.JPG
    IMG_5451.JPG
    546.9 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_5452.JPG
    IMG_5452.JPG
    562.8 KB · Views: 566

Sortrac

Ps: the ink on top of the damper assembly is from the first damper change. forgot to close the choke valve.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Close the choke valve and swap the 2 cyan lines at the top of the dampers, positions C & F. Be sure to use a rag or something to catch any ink dripping while you are doing this. Open the choke valve, then do a power clean, a nozzle check and let me know the results. Please post a pic of this nozzle check.

Sortrac

Close the choke valve and swap the 2 cyan lines at the top of the dampers, positions C & F. Be sure to use a rag or something to catch any ink dripping while you are doing this. Open the choke valve, then do a power clean, a nozzle check and let me know the results. Please post a pic of this nozzle check.

I just swapped the lines as suggested, and sadly the exact same problem persists. I am really starting to believe the tech was right, and that is is actually the head that is faulty.

Here is the picture of the nozzle tests.

Attachments

• IMG_5453.JPG
    IMG_5453.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 761

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Darn it! Did you ever do a choke clean after changing the head and dampers? If not, try that. If that doesn't work, then it might be the head, just very odd to have the same issue with 2 different heads. Let me know the results of the choke clean please...

Sortrac

Darn it! Did you ever do a choke clean after changing the head and dampers? If not, try that. If that doesn't work, then it might be the head, just very odd to have the same issue with 2 different heads. Let me know the results of the choke clean please...

Will do first thing tomorrow morning. I will keep you posted. Thanks so much for the assist Jim. it is really appreciated.

does anyone know if there is a possibility of exchanges with digiprint supplies, even if the head has been installed?

Sortrac

Hi again. Here is the result of the choke clean. Sadly no improvements. I even air cleaned the plastic connector that holds the lines to the dampers, thinking it could be what is clogged. nothing there either. :(

Attachments

• No bueno.JPG
    No bueno.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 773