• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing seems Grainy

ml4cs

New to large format/solvent printing. I have a Roland SP540i running Liquecolor inks in a 440ml cartridge printing on Oracal 3651 gloss

I read some posts and adjusted print temp to 108 and dry temp to 110

Lighter colors seem to come out grainy, darker seem ok if I print at high quality, also used a few different color profiles in versaworks and kept getting better

My question is will I ever be able to get rid of the grain with Gloss? or would I have to go Matte with Lamination?

Would settings, calibration, ink or media make any difference

Thanks!

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Reprint the file in Uni-Direction. If it looks better, you need to do the bidirectional adjustment. See attached. Use the detailed mode.

Attachments

• SP-540i user bi-direction alignment.pdf
    489.1 KB · Views: 333

Andy D

It depends what you mean by grainy, some profiles are set up for the black to be a 100%K instead of a combination
of CMYK, that gives a printed faux metallic look.
It also depends on what output resolution your profiles are set at; 540 x 720 -720 x 720 - 720 x 1440 -ect.

greysquirrel

Would settings, calibration, ink or media make any difference.....yes, yes, yes and yes...being new to printing, do yourself a favor and go back to OEM inks

ml4cs

Reprint the file in Uni-Direction. If it looks better, you need to do the bidirectional adjustment. See attached. Use the detailed mode.

Ran through a detailed bi directional adjustment.

now printing at high quality seems to get rid of the grainy look. I’ll load a couple pictures

ml4cs

Ran through a detailed bi directional adjustment.

now printing at high quality seems to get rid of the grainy look. I’ll load a couple pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 364
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 326