• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing to magnetic Roll - Roland SP540i

ml4cs

I had a customer ask If we could make a magnetic sign(s) for them. On Fellers looks like several printable magnetic vinyls are available by the roll

My questions are:
  • can I do this with my roland sp540i? seems like since everything is metal it would have issues sticking? Or could it hard the sensitive electronics inside the machine?
  • this is dramatically thicker than sign or craft vinyls, so what issues could present themselves? will it actually cut? or will that ruin the blade? Could it damage the tracking of the machine?
  • any brand anyone would recommend if this is possible?
-Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just print on vinyl and stick it to some mag. It's extra work and cost but your machine isn't really made to print and cut magnet. If you can manage to get it to score the magnet you can technically cut the material but it will kill your blade for sure. Also, and most important, if you get a head strike on vinyl, you clean the head and start over. if you get a head strike on magnet, which is much more likely due to it's thickness, you run the risk of demolishing the head. Not worth the cost in my opinion.

DesignCreationsNJ

Design Creations NJ
Magnet isn't much of an "ink receptive" surface. While you CAN print on it, the quality will almost never be what you expect. Printing on vinyl will always yield a better result

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Magnet isn't much of an "ink receptive" surface. While you CAN print on it, the quality will almost never be what you expect. Printing on vinyl will always yield a better result
That's why pretty much all of magnetics have a coating made of PET, PVC etc. So you are not really printing on the magnet itself.
Comes out great with UV or Latex.

signheremd

We flatbed (UV) print magnets allt he time. The trick is contour cutting - squares and rectangles we just print border stroke lines and use a straight edge, to run through a plotter we put three layers of masking tape to keep them from sticking but has to be small runs as the weight causes the plotters to slip. I need to make 45 12x12 circles now to print - if anyone knows a source to get them precut I'd be happy to know.