• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem Refurbishing a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 48

Greg Landers

I just bought a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 48 at auction for next to nothing figuring that it would be worth a shot to try and resurrect it. It had been sitting for a couple of years and ink was left in the lines when stored. I purchased a refurbish kit from cmykparts.com and new ink.

I have taken most everything apart and cleared the lines from the cartridges all of the way down to the waste station. I put on new print heads, dampers, capping station, and ink pump. I successfully pulled ink from the cartridges to the dampers with a syringe.

I have ran several powerful cleanings and nozzle checks and test prints ... and it will not print. I am not getting any ink through the heads. the capping station is dry and still pristine white.

I have gone over and over and over it all and I am totally stumped. :frustrated:

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Typestries

Greg, you got ink to the dampers, so the problem is past that. Now, you need to see if it's the heads or the caps, or the cap station plumbing or the cap station pump (sometimes called the primer). On our HP's we d/c the line from the cap to the cap pump. Then hook that from the cap to to a syringe. Put it under a vacuum. If no ink comes through, it's that tubing or the cap that has a clog (or, the head). If ink comes through, it's further along and may be the cap pump tube is cracked or the drain line from the pump to waste tank is clogged preventing flow on the down side of the pump.

If it's the head you find it to be, you may have to force some solvent through the heads to rewet them.

For us at least, it's usually the cap or cap tube that gets obstructed just enough to not pull ink through.

Greg Landers

Thanks for the reply ... I will keep looking at that end of it. With all new parts - heads and capping station - I shouldn't have to force solvent through the heads, should I? If so, how would I do that?

RG

Greg, did you input the new head rank numbers? You might want to see if the head fuses are blown. When I replace heads on my FOJ, I don't run a fill cycle--I just pull ink all the way through with a syringe.

sfr table hockey

if the cap tops are still clean then the pump is not drawing anything into the print heads. With the heads parked on the cap station use a syring and a short line of tube to connect to the cap tops and draw the syring and listen for air leaks or if you get ink drawing into the syringe then your captops are ok. If you hear air you will have to find the leak.

If both captops are good then the pump line to the drain bottle is most likely plugged. If you have cleaning solution fill a syringe and attach it to one of the lines that would go to the cap tops. Force some cleaning solution slowly into the drain bottle and watch the drain bottle for solution. Don't force solution too hard as you could have a mess if a line pops. Rub the lines to the pump and feel for a crust build up of ink. It should clear after a bit with the cleaning solution softening up the blockage.

Remember a pump just has that tube running through it and there are roller type things that squish the tube and cause a draw which pulls ink into the heads if parked on the capping station and the capping station is sealing around the heads propper. If the tube in the pump is blocked so bad that you can't flush the lines you could replace it or try to run new line in the pump.

Head rank is a must as was said above. Number should have been on the side of the print head. Sometimes written in black ( on black, so it's hard to see)

Greg Landers

Head rank is a must as was said above. Number should have been on the side of the print head. Sometimes written in black ( on black, so it's hard to see)

Indeed, I missed entering the head rank step. I found the numbers and I am trying to find a maintenance manual to figure it out (should've done that in the first place). I sent a request for a manual to support@mutoh.com but who knows when or if I will get it. If anyone has a PDF version of the maintenance manual let me know.

My lines to and from the pump to the waste station are clear. The heads appear to be lining up with the caps, but it is possible that they are not sitting right.

I found the FILL utility in the menu, but when I try to initiate it, it complains with an error saying "Waste Station Full" ... not sure what is going on there.

I appreciate the valuable advice you guys have given. Thanks so much.

Greg Landers

When I replace heads on my FOJ, I don't run a fill cycle--I just pull ink all the way through with a syringe.

RG, you pulled the ink all of the way through from the dampers, or did you do it below the capping station?

RG

RG, you pulled the ink all of the way through from the dampers, or did you do it below the capping station?

Greg, I did it below the capping station. Somewhere in the setup menu, it will align the heads with the capping station. I'm not sure where this is for your model, but do it before you pull the ink. It is also a good idea to use a rubber band or small bungee cord to hold the carriage as far to the right (as you are facing the machine) as it will go. Do this before you pull the ink and it assures that you have a tight seal on the capping station. Be sure to take off the rubber band or bungee cord before you turn the printer on. I have a Falcon Outdoor Junior maintenance manual. If you think it will help, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the PDF manual.