• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

problem with VJ 1604

Hi,
I need help with VJ-1604, It was on and after 2 weeks the printer was beeping and showing error 079 communication. I left for a trip for 2 months in emergency. Came back and turn on the printer and front panel light will not trun on and from heater relay make tapping sound. Power button light does not get turn on. Nothing shows on the display screen either. The only tak tak sound I hear. Heater does not get warm up either. Head is gone. I am going buy a head but I would like to know is wrong. Any help will be much appreciated.
dishhobby

heyskull

I am concerned as you say before this issue you had a "communication error".
Why would replacing the head rectify this problem?
Two months is a very long time for one of these printers to be turned off completley.
Maybe it is a motherboard, powerboard or commboard issue.
If the machine has been left in standby whilst you have been away from it maybe additional faults have arose.
Sorry but their is so many things that could have come up since the original error and because the original error was not traced straight away maybe it has created further faults.
You might get lucky by fitting a new head but it may turn into a very expensive repair with the elimination of some very expensive parts.
To further this issue we need a bit more information.

SC

Phenx

Try this:
1. Disconnect the printer from the power outlet
2. Press the power button 2 times.
3. Remove and re-insert the memory card
4. Turn on the printer into a wall outlet
5. Turn on the printer

heyskull

Try this:
5. Turn on the printer

Really good advice this as this clears everything.

SC

Try this:
5. Turn on the printer

Hi Phenx:
I had followed your instruction and there couple of cenectors wire were unhooked and did axectly what you said and got the printer in ready mode. Now I did 2 times cleaning did a nozzle check but no good news. I am not getting Black and cyan ink in my dampers. I bought the printer the guy told me that the printer needs head and maintence station. Any suggestion before I get those 2 parts. It is a major expense. This printer had main board change occoured in the past. Would you suggest compitable parts?
Thanks a million.
dishhobby

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you have more problems than what you're describing. You might wanna have a real tech check it out and tell you what's really wrong. Sounds as if ya might've bought a lemon. Things broken before you ever used it and you want to trouble shoot in the dark. Not a good idea, at least not in my way of looking at things and we're quite capable here at our shop. Before buying, things should've been working correctly, unless you knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix it.... or have the money to have it fixed.

heyskull

I agree with Gino on this one.

These machines can become a real money pit especially with such a long time of inactivity.
I also would suggest getting a Tec. to the machine, even just to advise what needs changed especially if you are inexperienced with this machine.
It is looking like it needs a new head and maintenance station at least.
This is not going to be a cheap fix!

SC

Phenx

Hi Phenx:
I had followed your instruction and there couple of cenectors wire were unhooked and did axectly what you said and got the printer in ready mode. Now I did 2 times cleaning did a nozzle check but no good news. I am not getting Black and cyan ink in my dampers. I bought the printer the guy told me that the printer needs head and maintence station. Any suggestion before I get those 2 parts. It is a major expense. This printer had main board change occoured in the past. Would you suggest compitable parts?
Thanks a million.
dishhobby

If you really really need to print, and the ink does not swing in the damper pump, it is possible to connect two tubes that go from the pump down. Insert the syringe. And strong, but smooth movements stretch ink dampers. If between the tray and the head is too big a gap, then it is possible, if the dampers are integers and are firmly on the tubes. We print so for some time. The main thing is not to give the ink to dry in the nozzles. This occurs when the head is not sealed to the station

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Just putting my thoughts here.

This is what we do when we got a trade in.

1. Overall inspect of the printer, printing condition, make a note of it, photos are very helpful.
2. Change out all dampers. Mutoh recommends to change out dampers every year. Approx. aftermarket parts $96.00 for all 8.
2. Change out capping station. Mutoh recommends to change out this part every year. Approx. OEM parts $650.00.
3. inspect print head cables. Don't take any chances. Aftermarket $20.00 set.
4. Clean up the T Fence with alcohol wipe.

Think twice if you want to spend the money above. Is the investment worth it? That's about $1,000 already if you had a tech to do it. Since it is a 1604, value of the printer is not that high. Also depends on the condition of the printer. Now to invest a new OEM print head, you are looking at $2,500 - $3,000 + installed. You are not finished yet. If any problem with the board, that's another $2,000-$2,500. If you really want the machine fixed up, strongly find a "good" technician to give you what's going on with the printer. That probably would cost you $150 - $200 first trip. Tech hourly is about $150/hourly + trip

www.premiercolour.com