• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with GX24 Cutting

Hi, new to this forum.

I Picked up a GX24 about 3 weeks ago and out the box it was super easy making perfect cuts on Oracle 631. For the past few days ive been noticing everytime the blade cuts into the vinyl it moves/shifts the vinyl around bunching it up between the rollers as if more rollers are needed to keep the vinyl flat. These shifts cause the cutter to leave incomplete cuts in lettering forcing me to tear the vinyl when weeding. Also been having to use a little more force to cut the same material ( first used 50g, now needing 80g with pen force dial maxed). Not sure whats causing this, i replaced the blade thinking maybe its dull, but still same thing. Did a google search and this Seems to be a common issue but cant find the cause or solution.

Not sure if roland checks this forum, but any help will be appreciated

CS-SignSupply

What does the Blade Protection Strip look like? Does is have a groove cut into the center of it?

Have you taken the blade out and checked the tip and edge with magnifying glass to see if it is dull, chipped or otherwise damaged?

Sounds to me like one or both of these are the issue. If so, you will need to replace them both.

Following is link to the ...

blade: http://www.cssignsupply.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=389

and

Blade Protection Strip: http://www.cssignsupply.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=20

Or you can order both at http://www.rolanddgastore.com (please enter CS Sign Supply as the supplier that referred you)

rjssigns

Might need another blade. Not long ago I had two blades in a row knock their tips off. Third blade has been cutting fine. Now I have a loupe sitting on top of the printer for quick blade checks before big jobs.

OldPaint

NEW.......OUTA THE BOX??? i am more inclined to cite OPERATOR ERROR)))))))))) when you lay the vinyl on the carriage, if you listen you can hear the fan inside change pitch a bit........as it creates a vacuum on the vinyl roll. now you get it lined up on the marks.......drop the roller closest to the marks......then LIGHTLY PUSH you fingers on the roll of vinyl toward the other roller.......THEN CLOSE IT....... this assures a tight surface between the rollers.

rjssigns

NEW.......OUTA THE BOX??? i am more inclined to cite OPERATOR ERROR)))))))))) when you lay the vinyl on the carriage, if you listen you can hear the fan inside change pitch a bit........as it creates a vacuum on the vinyl roll. now you get it lined up on the marks.......drop the roller closest to the marks......then LIGHTLY PUSH you fingers on the roll of vinyl toward the other roller.......THEN CLOSE IT....... this assures a tight surface between the rollers.

Yep, outta the box. Knock off was a poor choice of words. More like fell off at first contact. They're a man made product subject to flaws. Just happened to have two duds in the same box. Cut pressure was the same, material was the same, etc... Andrew from Roland was very helpful and sent me some additional blades. No issues since.

S'N'S

In the instructions, it tells you to have the blade poking out of the holder by 1mm, this is too far. I have the blade sticking out so when I run my finger over the end of the blade holder I can just feel the tip of the blade. Easy way to set the blade close is to remove the blade holder and use it like a pen and scribble a circle on scrap vinyl with moderate pressure, get it to the point where it cuts thru the vinyl but just leaves a mark on the backing paper. Replace the holder back into the cutter and do test cuts & try weeding each one, then either adjust the blade protrusion or pressure.

round man

I would suggest a thorough inspection of the blade holder to insure it is free of any scraps of vinyl and the blade spins freely, protruding the correct amount to cut the vinyl film,...the problem you describe on a new machine could very well be due to either a dull blade and or non spinning blade due to a very small piece of scrap vinyl preventing the natural spin of the blade when cuts begin,....

i wouldnt doubt "OPERATOR ERROR)))))))))" but what doesnt make sense to me is how i had absolutely no problems the first 3 weeks and now im starting to get more and more inaccurate cuts.

Im not sure how a 3 week old blade and brand new blade be "too dull" but i will try a third and check back in. I'll also try playing with the "blade poke" adjustments. Thanks for all your responses.

CS-SignSupply

Get a magnifying glass and look at the tip and leading edge of the blade... blade quality and the material being cut are variables that will determine the length of time the edge and tip of the blade remain sharp.

JMPrinting

Not to hijack, but when I cut 651 I have the blade out about 1mm with pen force on zero and cut force is all the way up to 150g...does that seem wrong?

No problem on the hijack, 651 also gives me the most problems, i cant quite get the hang of the pen force. The vinyl really bunches up between the rollers with the 651. I'll try to get a video of it

SIGNTIME

not sure how similar it is to a gx500 but if your material is bunching up between pinch rollers i would check that you have the material loaded square and make sure not junk in the vacuum holes and the vacuum is working also the blade should be sticking out about the width of a credit card and bring pen force to zero and adjust cutting depth with force ... other things to check is the blade moving free if not try a drop of 3 in 1 oil in the blade holder, clean pinch rollers, clean grit roller...

ive used 45 and 60* blades. Blades are moving freely, it seems like the thicker materials hold up better being that the material tends to stay flat when going thru the rollers while thinner materials are more flexible and easier to bunch up.

The roller lock handle jiggles a little bit may be a bit loose, could that be an issue? would popped the side open myself but dont wanna void any warranties

update ,

it seems when the vinyl is passed over the plotter, the rubbing causes static electricity making the vinyl to "cling" to the plotter (the strip right behind the roller). This "static cling" causes resistance on the vinyl thus causing the material to bunch up when cutting. I stuck a strip of vinyl on this area to avoid the material and plotter to rub against eachother and the outcome was like night and day. The cuts are way more precise now! Still not 100% but i will apply more vinyl and update. After 2 grand you would think something like this should be avoided. My question is how was the machine fine for 3 weeks before this started happening?

i hope this helps anyone with this same problem.

Techman

its not static, its not blade out to far..
My opinion is there is too much down pressure. Look at the liner. There should be a very slight line there. If it is a pronounced line or the paper is cut then there is too much pressure. That excess pressure will bind the vinyl as you described.

S'N'S

Slic vic, On my GX24 I never worry about downforce until I have the blade depth set close, then worry about downforce.
How far have you got the tip of the blade protruding? It should only just be felt when you run you finger over the tip.
Take the blade holder out of the machine, adjust the blade so that when you hold the blade holder like a pencil and scribble on a scrap of vinyl it cuts thru the vinyl and just marks the backing....not cutting the backing at all. Replace the blade holder and press the TEST button and adjust the downforce until the round bit weeds without pulling out the square. If you have to have the downforce too high, back it off and screw the cap of the blade holder in 1 or2 notches and do the previous "test" cuts and adjust the downforce. I use a jewelers eye glass to check the tips of my blades to make sure that the tip isn't broken or blunt and running the tip protruding too far can do both quickly.
Another thing, are you using a roll or using pieces of vinyl, if it's a full roll, prefeed the vinyl so it's not pull all the weight of the roll.

Tech, he said he was only using 50g now 80g downforce which is nothing.

Thanks guys but im pretty confident in my solution. After rubbing on the plotter a bit during a cut, the vinyl REALLY clings to the plotter even with the vacuum off (and clings even stronger than the vacuum) Sticking some vinyl to this strip area, where the rear sensor is, has my machine cutting a lot better.