• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In Product examples/situaions where you WOULDN'T need lamination

Mascitti Bro

While we're waiting for our new equipment upgrade to arrive, ( going from just 30" cutter to 54" printer/cutter combo) I thought this would be a great time to gain some knowledge from you experienced folks on here. We know a laminator is a must (and will also be coming in the weeks following) but what are some situations where a laminant "isn't" a must?? (background; we do primarily truck/race car lettering, and will offer cut decals done in company logos once the new equipment is up and running.) NOTE; Just received a sample from the equipment mfg. of what this thing will print/cut, etc., and the sample product they sent does not appear to have a laminant on it.

unclebun

We don't do lamination on cheap decals meant for giveaways at driver meet/greets. We don't laminate banners. We don't laminate coroplast signs (they are cheap and meant to be temporary). We don't laminate indoor trade show graphics.

We do laminate anything going on outdoor signs meant to be "permanent". We laminate anything going on vehicles. We laminate decals meant for sticking outside or on vehicles.

Mascitti Bro

We don't do lamination on cheap decals meant for giveaways at driver meet/greets. We don't laminate banners. We don't laminate coroplast signs (they are cheap and meant to be temporary). We don't laminate indoor trade show graphics.

We do laminate anything going on outdoor signs meant to be "permanent". We laminate anything going on vehicles. We laminate decals meant for sticking outside or on vehicles.
Ok, great info. Sounds like my best bet is if I want to do some random small decals w/o lamination, I should do some "test mules" and stick them on my own back window of one of our vehicles to see what the longevity will be. (unless someone already knows that time frame?) Also, what type of cleaner would we avoid on a non-laminated small decal??

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Ok, great info. Sounds like my best bet is if I want to do some random small decals w/o lamination, I should do some "test mules" and stick them on my own back window of one of our vehicles to see what the longevity will be. (unless someone already knows that time frame?) Also, what type of cleaner would we avoid on a non-laminated small decal??
Longevity of window decals depends mostly on the vinyl you use, not the ink. I've printed decals that lasted 6-7 years and some that lasted 6 months. All depends on the type of vinyl. If you laminate, then they will last a very long time, again depending on the the vinyl AND laminate type.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You laminate basically, everyrhing. Indoor stuff, not so much. Things for short term use, up to you. Anything going on a vehicle, yes. Any cleaners will ruin your print, other than water for rinsing.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Be aware that unlaminated solvent prints will stick together if you stack them face to face especially when it is hot. Simple fix is to save the liner and use it as a slip sheet in-between.

krosbonez

We laminate almost everything. Not only for the protective qualities, but for application/fabrication. Lam'ed prints install faster and with less issues, which more than doubles production. There are only a few instances where we would not laminate. We stock different lams for this though....some really cheap stuff for coro signs and then quality stuff for the other.

rjssigns

If you're working with dirt track cars don't bother with laminate. Those cars only look good for one day.;)

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

Mascitti Bro

We laminate almost everything. Not only for the protective qualities, but for application/fabrication. Lam'ed prints install faster and with less issues, which more than doubles production. There are only a few instances where we would not laminate. We stock different lams for this though....some really cheap stuff for coro signs and then quality stuff for the other.
-More good stuff, thank you!!

Mascitti Bro

If you're working with dirt track cars don't bother with laminate. Those cars only look good for one day.;)
'Thing is, i'm concerned about my customer afterwards using some random thing to wipe-off his car, then the color/ink smearing, coming off, etc. , but yeah, I get it-they get covered in mud in no-time...

axelmk

Give your customer TWO prices, with and without laminate. Let them choose their price point.
Some customers rather pay more and play it safe and some other will take risks, if they choose not to laminate the responsibility falls on them. It will always be better to laminate, for longevity and installation purposes, but let the customer choose based on their budget.
it always depends on the application.

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
We don’t let anything of a sticker or decal except certain wall graphics or short term interior use only products without lam. Not worth it. If it’s too expensive for the customer they shouldn’t be buying it.

2B

Give your customer TWO prices, with and without laminate. Let them choose their price point.
Some customers rather pay more and play it safe and some other will take risks, if they choose not to laminate the responsibility falls on them. It will always be better to laminate, for longevity and installation purposes, but let the customer choose based on their budget.
it always depends on the application.

Exactly!!!

We do this and it has made all the difference. The customers have the option and they can decide what is best by price and the longevity.
We do show them the difference and what they can expect.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Laminate everything except for when the client insists on not paying for it.

Obviously, lamination may not be needed for cheap give-a-ways or short-term events, but it is the responsibility of the vendor to explain that to the customer, and the obligation of the customer to clearly insist that he does not want it. You might want to write up a little fact/care sheet and maybe even have them sign it.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
It's always good to offer a customer a premium version. It helps with your liability. If you present a low price point option alongside a premium version, it doesn't damage your reputation as much if the lower priced option fails.

If you only show them the one option, you may either price yourself out of the market or build a reputation as a cheap low-quality sign shop.

All that being said, we sell thousands of square feet of unlaminated decals. For 3x3" "Stickers" or product labels, it's not always worth the cost of film laminating.

(We also have a third, middle of the road option, which is UV coated Decals which gives our reseller sign shops an edge)

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
Exactly!!!

We do this and it has made all the difference. The customers have the option and they can decide what is best by price and the longevity.
We do show them the difference and what they can expect.

We used to do this and always thought it was a good route to go, at least until the ink rubs off. Nobody asks if it was laminated, everyone asks who did them so when they say XX company did them and it makes you look like a hack. Often times people will leave out the details in order to pass off blame elsewhere. So we stopped offering an option on anything other than interior graphics.

Just my 2 cents