• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Putting the stripes on a Cobra tonight. Any tips?

signage

I thought maybe he was using the skin to keep the owner away or down:ROFLMAO:

With your post yesterday I can only imagine what was on your mind:omg::covereyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: MR JOLLY RODGER

Last edited:

spudcity

Here's how I did it. I think I could do it in one piece if I used air release vinyl but with Oracal 751 I ended up with a 1/2" seam at the front edge of the scoop on each side.
The excess width of the stripe was cut after the scoop was covered. Eat a banana or two before you cut on the car!

so, you have two seams on the hood?

signmeup

Attachments

• CobraSeam.jpg
    CobraSeam.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 95

HulkSmash

Thanks John. Wouldn't air egress look like crap though? The only stuff I've ever used was 3M 180 and it looks like a waffle cone to me. Have they improved the stuff?

they came out with with a new version without the waffle cone texture. They originally did that so people could identify if it was wrapped with 3M or not.. really stupid.

signmeup

they came out with with a new version without the waffle cone texture. They originally did that so people could identify if it was wrapped with 3M or not.. really stupid.
The waffle effect was the air egress. I took normal cast vinyl and rolled it onto some old 180 backing paper. Heated it a bit with a heat gun and... whadayaknow... instant air egress vinyl! It worked just like the 3M 180. They must have come up a with somewhat more cunning technology since then.

wes70

Nice job!:thumb:

I'm wondering how the "colored" wrap vinyls (oracal 970, etc.) would work in this situation? Are they plotter friendly?

Does the cobra have a vintage (rare) ford 427 side oiler or a stroked 351 windsor?... please don't say a chevy bb 427... that would be wrong!

signmeup

Nice job!:thumb:

I'm wondering how the "colored" wrap vinyls (oracal 970, etc.) would work in this situation? Are they plotter friendly?

Does the cobra have a vintage (rare) ford 427 side oiler or a stroked 351 windsor?... please don't say a chevy bb 427... that would be wrong!
It has a 427 Ford motor. It's the correct block out of some old pickup truck he found. It was an odd displacement that I can't remember now. Like 380 or something. The truck was not the correct bore and stroke but could be made to be... so he did that by changing to crank and boring the block out. It took 2 blocks before he got one that could take that large an over bore. The first one had a shifted core and they hit a water passage. It's not a side oiler but as I understand it it was the correct block for some version of the car.
It dynoed at 480hp. Once it gets broken in it should be up over 500.

g&eprinting

Nice job!

How did you cut off that excess on the hood by the scoop?
Also any sealer where that seam is, or butt seam or what 5/8 overlapped?
I can't see it if its overlapped.
Nice job.

signmeup

Nice job!

How did you cut off that excess on the hood by the scoop?
Also any sealer where that seam is, or butt seam or what 5/8 overlapped?
I can't see it if its overlapped.
Nice job.
To cut off the excess I used a straight edge and a snap off blade knife... and a steady hand.
There is a seam at the front corner of the scoop about an inch wide. I overlapped it about 3/16". Never thought about sealer over the seam. What sort of product would I use?

g&eprinting

Sealit pen or 3m edge sealer.

I meant did you cut right on the hood or put some tape underneath where you knew the line would end up around.

I did a half wrap where I wanted a nice straight line on top so I put 3m blue fine line tape across the body line where I wanted it to end. Wrapped above the line and cut on the line. Ended up with too much pressure on some spots and lined the clear coat.

I had to buff it out upon removing the wrap. NO GOOD... Fresh exacto blade and I'm usually pretty good with just going through what I want to cut and not the freaking car. Done it many times before with no tape and no problems but this one got me. I think the tape made me feel like I wasn't putting enough pressure.

These snap off blades never seem sharp enough for me I always use exacto.
Maybe exacto is too sharp !!!

Blue tape was super stuck to the vinyl too.
Use the 3m fine line striping tape!

signmeup

I just cut the single layer of 2 mil vinyl as it sat. I stuck masking tape over the excess on the trunk cover to cut it. Just as a knife guide. Did not cut any of the guys clear coat.