• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Putting the stripes on a Cobra tonight. Any tips?

signmeup

NO, look like it would be fun to drive!
I meant intimidating to stripe. Actually it's intimidating to drive too. It's got almost 500hp and weighs a thousand pounds less than most sport sedans. Fun for sure but you have to be careful too.

signage

That is a newer kit car correct?

If you think that hard to control imagine what the originals were like! Suspension no were what that has under it!

signmeup

That is a newer kit car correct?

If you think that hard to control imagine what the originals were like! Suspension no were what that has under it!
The car handles like a dream. It's the insane power to weight ratio that us mere mortals have to get used to. As I recall there were a few deaths in these things back in the day. You plunked down 6 grand and they handed you one of these... whether you could handle it or not. You can get into a whole lotta trouble real quick.

signmeup

Here's the finished product. Came out the dog's bollocks!

I was right... the hood scoop was a bitch.

You should hear this thing. Makes the hair on your arms stand on end!

Attachments

• CobraFinished-038sm.jpg
    CobraFinished-038sm.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 90
  • CobraFinished45sm.jpg
    CobraFinished45sm.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Very nice!
I like the way you matched the flowers to the color of the paint.

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

Ugh. Just realized I forgot to post-heat the tricky spots like the hood scoop and chin scoop. Oh well not a big deal to head back down. I should get a digital temp gauge for this. What surface temp am I going for again?

thewvsignguy

Looks awesome from here!!! Really good job :rock-n-roll:

When I did stripes I taped mono fishing line from the front bumper to the hood, over the roof, down to the trunk to the rear bumper to make sure I kept the lines straight. Once you have the stripes where you want them just move the mono out of the way and apply your vinyl.

klemgraphics

Looks awesome!, not something that I would look forward to starting on but definitely one to be proud of!

We did one that was really similar to that several years back...but we painted, cleared, then wet sanded and buffed. Almost the same color even.

signmeup

Thanks guys.

Klem... that colour is supposed to be the colour Carroll Shelby raced under so a lot of Cobras are painted "Guardsman Blue".

J

john1

Looks great!

How are you guys doing stripes over a scoop like that? Like where do you cut it so it looks flush with the scoop indent and all?

signmeup

Here's how I did it. I think I could do it in one piece if I used air release vinyl but with Oracal 751 I ended up with a 1/2" seam at the front edge of the scoop on each side.
The excess width of the stripe was cut after the scoop was covered. Eat a banana or two before you cut on the car!

Attachments

• CobraScoop.jpg
    CobraScoop.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 93