• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Putting the stripes on a Cobra tonight. Any tips?

signmeup

I'm putting the traditional double stripes on a 66 Cobra replica tonight. Looks a bit daunting around the trunk and hood scoop. Any general tips on wide stripes would be appreciated. The stripes are 7" wide and an inch apart. I'm thinking I will be cutting some sections on the car. Do you apply any of it without mask? I'm using 751 vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tickle it's belly and try to get it to go into a stupor before approaching it or just give it some :bushmill: to calm it down..........

:Oops: you mean a car..... I have those directions backwards. Have someone tickle your belly and then take a few swigs of booze to calm your nerves.........​

signmeup

don't scratch it!!!!
Nice new paint. The body was removed for painting so as not get any overspray on any of the drive-line components. Not a mark on it. No pressure...
I'm gonna eat a banana to keep the shakes down before I cut the 2 mil vinyl on his hood.

MikePro

snap a line, and then use that as a guide for the masking tape that's your guide for the vinyl application?

A friend of mine hand-cuts a lot of stripes. He travels to car lots and works out of his truck. He has a 2' x 8' or 3' x 8' piece of glass he keeps in his truck to cut on. I don't know what he uses for a straight edge.

petepaz

jobs i did like that i used masking tape as my guide and i applied with appl-tape but i have heard pro's/con's for both. the only thing i would say is with the curves, scoops, fenders make sure you are using an air release vinyl/wrapping vinyl other wise it's going to suck!!! i have done it with both and with the wrap vinyl it's a breeze and with out...SUCKs!

signmeup

jobs i did like that i used masking tape as my guide and i applied with appl-tape but i have heard pro's/con's for both. the only thing i would say is with the curves, scoops, fenders make sure you are using an air release vinyl/wrapping vinyl other wise it's going to suck!!! i have done it with both and with the wrap vinyl it's a breeze and with out...SUCKs!
Crud. All I have is plain old Oracal 751. Oh well... wish me luck.

petepaz

it will work but just alot harder and be carefull not to stretch too much. the stuff i had a problem with the customer ordered on line and it was a matte vinyl and it ripped and wouldn't stretch around a curve ...bad news

signmeup

Why didn't the owner have them painted and then cleared when he had the car done? It would had saved a banana. Enjoy
You'd have to ask him. BTW... the banana didn't work. A waste of perfectly good fruit. (I don't even like bananas)

The hood scoop was the troublesome bit. I'm heading back this morning to finish up.

signmeup

Lets see some finished photos

And some photos of the wet spot on the seat after the drive:):covereyes::ROFLMAO:
You'll get your finished photos once I've finished the @#$% thing. Stripes suck. My thumb hurts.

(I'm going to pee before I get in the thing again. Wet spot problem solved.)

signage

OK then take a photo of the steering wheel with the indentations from squeezing so hard!

I hope you take the pictures before the drive so the camera will be steady;)

signmeup

Here's a before pic. Intimidating isn't it? The hood scoop is a bitch. I'm putting on dual 7" stripes 1" apart.

Attachments

• CobraBefore.jpg
    CobraBefore.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 87