• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PVC post sleeves without posts?

wesley

MOrning Folks...
I am going to be setting about 60 posts in the ground with only 48" out of the ground with a Maxmetal sign that is 18" x 24". With how light this sign is. Do you think I could get away with just putting the PVC post sleeve in the ground without even using a 4x4 post inside of it? Like i said it will only be 48" tall with a very light sign attached.
The signs will only be there a year so longevity is not an issue. the people are trying to save a dollar so I am thinking this will definitely help cut price. Thanks for any info.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't matter what we say..... what does your code inspector say ??

I'd say you still hafta bury 36" of a 4" x 4" post first, with the sleeve over top. Sure, it will hold the sign, but what happens if some kid runs into it with a bicycle ?? Knocks it over, the sign comes loose and slices the living sh!t outta his face or arm.

You don't wanna be putting 60 posts in the ground and then hafta remove them all and do it all over, again.​

wesley

It will be a 60" post sleeve with 2 fooot in the ground and 4 foot out of the ground. These are just custom for sale signs in front of 48 different houses. So will not be there for more than a year.

Z SIGNS

You could pound a u channel in the ground Cut the sleeve to 4' slip it over the channel then fill the the pvc sleeve with spray foam.It will make the install go quick and save money.

wildside

Sorry Guess I havent had enough coffee yet....there will only be 1 foot in the ground

You need to be below the frost line in order for it to survive a winter. Not sure what it is there, but our frost line is about 28", you should be a minimum of a foot below frost line, preferably 2ft below.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whole thing is a dumb idea. Who ever heard of sinking a hollow post in the ground a foot and having 4 foot above grade with a solid sail on it ?? The wind'll topple that in no time. You're just asking for all kindsa lawsuits..... not to mention vandalism.

unclebun

It's just a for sale sign--no different than putting an 18x24 aluminum sign in an angle iron frame and sticking it in the ground 6".

unclebun

You just keep thinking that way.
These are just custom for sale signs in front of 48 different houses.

Don't see why people are bringing in building inspectors and frost lines. Do realtors have to get permits to put up an 18x24 for sale sign? Do for sale signs get subjected to kids on bikes running over them?

The solution I offered is sold for doing precisely what the OP wants to do, and doesn't require digging holes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are gonna be digging holes, putting up 30 signs around town and they are to be up more than 30 days or so, they are not temporary signs, therefore, to stay legal and above board, someone has to obtain permits for all these signs. You think a building inspector or codes guy/gal will allow you to put a hollow post in the ground only a foot ?? even two feet won't cut it. Sure, most of them might withstand a year's wroth of weather, but I highly doubt all 30 will. You only need one bad one to ruin it for everyone. Again, that's what reputations are built upon.

Your angle iron theory is alright, but if the wind gets to it.... it's only gonna tilt over a little and it's rather close to ground level, so it doesn't have far to fall. A solid ACM board mounted on two posts can easily be ripped apart, if there's nothing really holding it together other than air. Nope, just because the sign says for sale does not give the installer a free license to cut corners...... but it all goes back to safety and reputation.

letterman7

2' in the ground minimum. You'll be fine with a sleeve and 3mm MaxMetal. Any thicker than that I would put some sort of wood inside, even if it was a 2x4. Did the same thing all the time for new developments around here years ago.. and never had an issue.

unclebun

If you are gonna be digging holes, putting up 30 signs around town and they are to be up more than 30 days or so, they are not temporary signs, therefore, to stay legal and above board, someone has to obtain permits for all these signs. You think a building inspector or codes guy/gal will allow you to put a hollow post in the ground only a foot ?? even two feet won't cut it. Sure, most of them might withstand a year's wroth of weather, but I highly doubt all 30 will. You only need one bad one to ruin it for everyone. Again, that's what reputations are built upon.

Your angle iron theory is alright, but if the wind gets to it.... it's only gonna tilt over a little and it's rather close to ground level, so it doesn't have far to fall. A solid ACM board mounted on two posts can easily be ripped apart, if there's nothing really holding it together other than air. Nope, just because the sign says for sale does not give the installer a free license to cut corners...... but it all goes back to safety and reputation.

I guess you've never used a 4Ever Products for sale sign system. 4' tall PVC post with metal stake in the ground. 18x24 sign attached to post.
https://www.4everproducts.com/4-lot-marker-vinyl-post-only-no-sign/

Or their swinging sign system, goes in the ground or on the stake.
https://www.4everproducts.com/white-vinyl-real-estate-post/

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all..... I got the impression there was to be 2 posts with a sign, not one post per sign. Anyway, where was it mentioned he was going to be putting a metal stake inside it ?? I thought he wanted to know if he could just use the sleeve ?? You mentioned it, but how far in the ground do those stakes go ??