• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quest to expand my skills

Bigdawg

Just Me
Rooster has it absolutely right on Corel... even if it's improved - it's bitten me too many times for it to be my preferred program.

and I still use PM7 at times for some old magazines I do :smile: The first version of InDesign SUCKED bigtime and I never got around to changing the mags over to it...

Ponto

I did one of those one day semiars that travel around the country, usually, they are filled with people asking how to open the box the program came in so you won't get much out of that. I did buy a book that had a companion disk with it so you could try out the different examples of how tos. that was pretty good.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... probably not overstated and hilarious at the same time...been their done that and one needs to be wary over the expenditure when it comes to classroom training and the associated fees. You can't beat learning at your own pace so the online offerings may yield the best "bang for your buck".

Jp

Letterbox Mike

Whether or not Corel is a good program is irrelevant here, it is a good program and knowing how to use it is definitely beneficial. Regardless of why Adobe is the industry standard program, it is what it is and it's much more beneficial to have an in-depth understanding of at least the basics of it's major components, Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. And Rooster and Bigdawg are right, Corel and Adobe color management only intermingle so well together, but that's going to be true when going from one software program to another, which is why Adobe shines, while all of the programs are independent, they operate as one so there's less chance of funky color issues popping up. So if a customer is giving you an .eps from Illustrator or a .psd from Photoshop, sure you can open it in Corel, but you're chances for headaches are greatly reduced by opening it in it's native program. Believe it or not, Adobe is the industry standard for a reason, and it's not because it's heavily promoted or taught in design school.

And yeah, the original Indesign sucked pretty bad. It was like a cheap knockoff of Quark. I stuck with Quark for a long time and have only really started to get into Indd since CS3. It's a killer program now, much better than anything that came before it. It's worth learning even if you don't use it often.

Rooster

Quark lost me right around CS2 and the time they started getting greedy with their update pricing. The first Indesign was a real resource hog. It worked fine, but Quark was twice as fast or faster at the time.

Ponto

Aside from the logic used to legitimize one application over another I wonder when it becomes redundant to have an over abundance of software... when would the cost of purchasing and upgrading each application become prohibitive. Since they all do more or less the same thing, wouldn't an arsenal of each application become overkill...????

JP

Letterbox Mike

Aside from the logic used to legitimize one application over another I wonder when it becomes redundant to have an over abundance of software... when would the cost of purchasing and upgrading each application become prohibitive. Since they all do more or less the same thing, wouldn't an arsenal of each application become overkill...????

JP

Depends on what business you're in. If you're strictly signs and don't do much "print for pay" type work where you are supplied print ready files, it's probably not necessary to have alot of software beyond what you are proficient at and what you get good results from. If you accept alot of client files the more software the better, you never know when you're going to need to open a powerpoint file, distill it to a .pdf and rasterize that into a tiff. In the case of the latter, it's probably not critical to know each and every piece of software like the back of your hand (aside from your preferred design programs you use for your own work), but basic knowledge (how to open, correct color, change profiles, make basic changes to graphics/copy, save, export, pull apart, etc.) of them is a must.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
\

You know why? Cuz ad agencys hire art school weenies, and art schools teach using one thing... ADOBE PRODUCTS. Because...? Adobe has an awesome marketing strategy and gets in with practically every school and learning agency.

But I've always been a firm believer in buy what actually WORKS, not what is popular. Thus I am a Corel fan after spending 3 years initially with only Adobe. Don't get me wrong, Adobe has good software, but I prefer Corel and don't see anywhere where Adobe really outshines Corel, it's like choosing a +2 pencil with a red eraser, or a #2 pencil with a blue eraser.

Regardless of which program is better, that is irrelevant. What does matter is the programs that those ad agencies use. Sign shops are not what the typical design school grad is gunning for. They want to work for graphic design firms, ad agencies, marketing co's, etc. If you checked with 100 big name companies, I would be willing to bet 90 or more of them primarily use Adobe Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop and Quark Xpress. They won't teach you Corel at a typical college since that is not the primary design program in use

mark in tx

Ahhhh.....the ever popular "colour issues."

Corel has had horrible implementation of color workspace output for a long time.
I think it has more to do with licensing issues than anything else. Might be why Corel is 600 dollars cheaper than Adobe products.

signmeup

Corel has had horrible implementation of color workspace output for a long time.
Printed through an Adobe product or printed through a Corel product?

I don't have colour issues sending anything to my plotter no matter what software the thing was designed in. :biggrin:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Through Corel... all by it's self. And the reason I think is the if you notice.. it's Adobe PostScript... that's what the files ultimately all boil down to and Corel just doesn't write it cleanly... just my humble opinion...