• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on laminated vinyl signs...

TomK

Hey Folks,

I've been working with a small customer of mine that required some laminated vinyl signs for their facility that they can use industrial cleaner on and not worry about the colors coming off. Basic stuff, use overlam and not a problem, however...

After a couple different cleaning tests they've done, they are saying that the cleaning solution is starting to penetrate the edges of the sign, like it is getting under the edge of the laminate.

Is there something else that can be done, I've never had this complaint to date, but I don't think I've ever had a customer do this sort of testing on our stuff. I'm using Substance 3755 with 3150 overlam.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had a similar situation about a year ago. They said, they'd use mild detergent on the signs from time to time to clean them, since its a food manufacturing plant.
Yep, no problem. Got a call about a week later telling me the stuff is coming off. Wha....?? I said, these signs are 15' in the air. What is going on in your place ?? Well, maintenance wanted to test them, so they cleaned them. With what ????? Oh, they used an industrial cleaner with the power washer. How close were they ?? About 3' away. WHY ????? They were perfectly clean and wouldn't get messed up for at least a year.

TomK

Had a similar situation about a year ago. They said, they'd use mild detergent on the signs from time to time to clean them, since its a food manufacturing plant.
Yep, no problem. Got a call about a week later telling me the stuff is coming off. Wha....?? I said, these signs are 15' in the air. What is going on in your place ?? Well, maintenance wanted to test them, so they cleaned them. With what ????? Oh, they used an industrial cleaner with the power washer. How close were they ?? About 3' away. WHY ????? They were perfectly clean and wouldn't get messed up for at least a year.

LOL, typical right? They are hand "wiping" these down, on a daily basis...so not sure if I can really solve that problem.

Billct2

Sounds like they need to be pocket laminated. Or try having the laminate extend over the edge of the print a 1/4"

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I wonder if wrapping the vinyl around the edges of the substrate would work. Then there wouldn't be any edges exposed to be cleaned and lift up. the edges of the vinyl would be safely on the back of the sign.

Billct2

"Thanks, I have a 1/8" white border around the print already"
But is the laminate cut to the same size as the print?
I will do an overlap, so the laminate extends beyond the print.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thanks Stacey, this is something they would apply after putting the sign in place, right? I assume?
That's correct, the options Robert mentioned are what I was thinking, specifically the Seal It pen. It's almost like clear nail polish like a paint pen.