• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on the icc profiles provided by Roland

Derrick

Hi All,
I am new to the business as an owner...I just purchased a Roland VP-540 and I should receive it next week. I had a question on how true are the icc profiles for Roland media as far as hitting all or most of the true colors of a match print proof. In the past I worked on the HP-Scitex XLjet 5m printer using Onyx, and I found myself color correcting often even when dealing with linearizations and icc profiles. My guess is that I probably was working with unaccurate icc profiles. Back to my question, are there any users out here that use Roland Media with thier icc profiles and how well does their profiles work other manufactures media.

This is my first thread, I am newie as it gets, so I don't mean to confuse anyone out there with this question.

Thank you ahead of time for the input.

Derrick

njsigns

Welcome! I just purchased an SP 300V. I can tell you that the color I am getting, using the Roland media they sent me with the printer, looks pretty good when I select the proper profiles from Versaworks. They are really close to what I would expect to see. I do have limited experience with it as I've only had the printer for 5 days, but I have printed quite a bit in that time and the profiles / media combos seem to be working out well.

I know it's not much help. I had the same concerns when I was awaiting shipment. I will probably be switching to Oracal media because I've heard a lot of good things about it. There are profiles for Oracal media on printingdigital.net.

Gene

mystysue

Ive had my 540 for almost a year.. I normally use oracal vinyl and have used the roland poster paper and gmi banner material.. Our colors are great matches using the color profiles from roland and versaworks.. so much so we have some people who we wholesale prints to that will only use us becuase our colors are so right on..

Derrick

Thanks for the reply guys, this really secures my confidence with the profiles Rolands provides. With that said, happy printing and I will soon enough, hopefully when I get my printer in about a week, I will share my experiences with y`all...

Regards,
Derrick

Checkers

Hi Derrick and welcome,
Just about any manufacturer supplied profile will be good enough to produce "sellable" product. But, as the saying goes, garbage in, garbage out.
If you don't bother to complete your color management system by profiling your monitor, scanner, etc., plus, embed the correct profiles into your image before you send it to the printer, the results will be less than expected.

Checkers

cdiesel

Brian beat me to it. He mentioned color profiling everything else, and this is extremely important. Also, don't forget to embed the color profiles in your art files. That said, the profiles from roland are pretty good, and we've had even better luck with the profiles from oracal when using their media.