• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions on Roland PC-60

Bigdawg

Just Me
We are looking at buying a used PC-60...we thought it was a PC-600 when I talked with the seller but that's neither here no there... the deal hasn't been made yet - but I am really leaning towards doing it.
The machine has set for 3 years... should we be concerned? He mentioned that the print head has to replace yearly?? That seems like a lot to me... in reading through previous posts on the board I thought every 2-3 years would be more like it.
We are just looking to do small decals - no banners or large pieces - we'll still farm that out. How well will it fit for this purpose? Can't afford to go high-end yet, but would like to get started in the print/cut area so we can build up the business to justify moving up to a newer, better machine.
Thanks for any input...

roxym

Stacy-I'm not sure about the PC60's, I have a PC600 and the yearly head replacement thing sounds funny. I've had mine for about 3 years and haven't had to replace the head yet (knock on wood). Keeping it covered and clean along with the media is a must though. Wanna make me an offer on my 600 so I can buy a VersaCamm? Do believe I still have the original packing and comes with the stand. They're great for small decals, but I don't have much call for that.

JWILLIS

Very expensive to operate..
Check on cost / sq in.....
Got a friend thats got one..

tends to ban a great deal.

Stacy,

Long time ago we had look at the PC series, and after much investigation, and many trusted opinions, we decided against it. That does not mean that it is not for you BUT....

We do know of a few shops that had to replace the heads often, banding being one of the biggest issues. A that time they were not cheap. Another issue as the cost of ribbons. I guess there are "tricks" now but ribbon breakage in the middle of a job were not out of the ordinary. From a couple of former owners, ribbon breakage was caused by printing long thin lines.

Never the less, the machine has its uses, like t-shirts, custom bumper stickers, etc.

The next biggest issue that kept us away was the purchase cost - no matter how old the machine was. I think people still get between 3k and 4k, and many require, or will require, work soon.

My suggestion would be to wait a little longer, maybe save a little more, and just get one of the smaller printers - unless the price is really really good.

A printer is something that we have had on our Xmas list for a looong time. Now we are finally just saying "ah hell, why not! :) "

Bigdawg

Just Me
We are getting a good deal on it, and will only be using it for small printed decals so I am really leaning towards going ahead and buying it. I priced out ribbons at $10-15 each... what else do I need to look at? Besides materials what other costs would I be looking at? A head runs about $350-$500... Sorry for the ignorance but I know so little about print/cut machines. I really don't want to finance a machine (all my equipment is paid for) right now, but if I can get a foot in the door that may be an option later.

roxym

Stacy-There's a PC60 on ebay right now, a one day listing. Item #7611886705, might be worth a look.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Thanks Roxy - it does seem a little out of place though. I know it's just a one-day listing but it in GBP not dollars but the equipment is in California??? And you have to register with them to bid? Scares me a little!!

Last edited:

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I've never used one, but a friend had one- he said the PC-60 uses tape as it moves, regardless of whether or not it prints that colour- but the PC-600 has a tape-saver ability so it only uses up what it prints.

hth

PS he now uses a 6 colour pro2.

roxym

I hear you on the ebay thing, noticed the same thing. Some people are totally comfortable buying from there, I'm not.

My biggest hurdle with the 600 was getting the profiles and settings correct. I use only Roland ribbons, the ZeroNine ribbons always break on me. Now that I have it set I don't have any banding problems as long as everything is clean. Good Luck...

Jackpine

If you are getting a ColorCamm get a 600. The saving with the ribbons are worth it and they are newer technology. I had one for 3 1/2 years and I replaced the head once right before I sold it. I used DuraCoat ribbons ( $10.00 each), they are not made anymore. They worked very good. I would look into PrintOne ribbons. I printed with a few of them and are what I would have changed to. Ebay machines usually have bad heads. To replace is $500.00 plus shipping total $600 to $700 with a 3 month warrantee. I NEVER changed my setup. Designed in Corel 10, exported as a RGB eps, with a cutline if needed and printed. NO ICC profiles needed. You must use this printer within it's limits and you can make money. Th largest print I would make was 23" wide by 18" long. For a long print it would panel and the edge where it paneled never matched good but it was OK. Print out a color chart and that is the colors you use. I bought a PrintTech 36" (Mutoh Jr) from SSK. I wish I had done it sooner.

Jackpine

I agree with Roxy, I could never get Zero nine ribbons to work good very well. I did make alot of heat transfers on ColorPrint material with resin ribbons too.

roxym

Jackpine-I agree with the settings thing. Once I had it set correctly I never changed it and would behead anyone who messed with it.

Jackpine

Roxy, what do you use now? I liked my colorcamm. It was great for small decals. When I got a PrintTech and can print on so many surfaces and contour cut with a Graphtec I never looked back. Absolutly it will change the way you do business. The quaility is amazing. Checkout the packages at SSK. They can't be beat for price, customer service and tech support.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Reply on the ebay auction Roxy mentioned - rip-off if I've ever seen one:

Hello Sir
I have 5 plotter for sale but i find 2 buyer for my ploter and now i have only 3 plotter for sale.I bought the printers in the hollidays ... because there were big discounts .
The plotter it is absolutely new and still inside the original package.The price I hope to obtain is 500GBP (this price includes the shipping and insurance)and if you agree with this price we can start to complete the transaction.The item will be shipped from UK(where i have the item) and i will pay the insured shipping taxes through UPS service.
I provide a 15 days money back guarantee, no questions asked. This means that within 15 working days you decide you don't want to keep the item, for whichever reason, you'll ship it back to me on my expences and you'll get the full amount back..waht is your ebay ID
After I will find buyers I will end the auction...so please inform me your final answer if you want to buy my plotter or not.
Thanks for your reply

roxym

I'd run like hell from that deal, another reason I don't do ebay.

Jackpine-I still have my PC600 but am trying to justify getting a Roland VersaCamm. Will check out SSK though. The thing that appeals to me is getting away from the layers of vinyl and also not having to stock so many colors. Still doing my homework....