• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Race Car Fonts ??

Ogriv

I have been ask to assemble a "package deal" to be offered to race drivers at a local race track. I want to give the drivers a small font selection. Are there any folks here that have an opinion on what are good racing fonts that I should offer? I currently use Acmo Display for the Go-Karts that I supply numbers for, but it appears that I would get more sales if I could offer a selection of fonts.

Thanks for your opinions.

Mike

PMG

Ogriv said:
I have been ask to assemble a "package deal" to be offered to race drivers at a local race track. I want to give the drivers a small font selection. Are there any folks here that have an opinion on what are good racing fonts that I should offer? I currently use Acmo Display for the Go-Karts that I supply numbers for, but it appears that I would get more sales if I could offer a selection of fonts.

Thanks for your opinions.

Mike

ANY THING THAT LOOKS FAST,,,, if it don't make it,here are a few i use ,O SPEED STROKE,,, O RACE CAR CAUSAL,,KITCHEN POLICE,,also i have a RACE PACK FONT CD,that has Checker Fonts ,Chisel Fonts,and so on!!!

Dave Drane

Don't give them too many to choose from. Some people get easily confused and end up spending hours of time choosing something that could be decided in five minutes.

K

kevco

I have 25 "standard" fonts to choose from and I let them know if they have a specific font they want I have more to choose from. The popular ones for me are chiseled, cracked, and fonts that have a "hand lettered" look.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Most race cars have pretty standard looking fonts. The representation of speed is usually nothing more than a slanted number. Most are very heavy so they are easily read, and they rely heavily on drop shadows and outlines to appear more 3-d.

The one that stands out the most is the number 9 car...
http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/kkahne00/cup/index.html

They added those three "speed" lines, quite a unique look, but I'm not sure if that look has been copyrighted. Maybe consider adding flare to existing numbers, rather than searching for a "fast" font.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Highly recommend the above fonts... I think Roadhouse would be great for car lettering and numbers.

Waabz350z

I would have to agree that a lot of the fonts that Signfonts offer would look great on a race car.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
You guy’s would prolly laugh at me but I used Brushstroke on my personal race car for the numbers. I think it looks great on my car. If it was a late model or street stock, yeah it wouldn’t look right. Here’s a picture of my race car at a local car show.

Attachments

• DSC000802.jpg
    DSC000802.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 287

Ogriv

Quick Question: Is there a standard width for the numbers? When I asked folks around town today, all they could tell me was that they are 18" tall. Well, if I enlarge the fonts proportionally, most of them end up around 36" wide. Is this about right, or do I do the unthinkable, and squish 'em a little?

PMG

Here is a list i got from a Friend of mine who also does race cars ,,this is what we go by ........

Last edited:

Ogriv

Thanks Pro-Motion, but your sheet only indicates the number height as well. I hate to assume anything, but I assume the dimensions are kept proportional and my 36" measurement would be close?

Lance

I have no idea what I am on about here but I would think if it fits the panel OK and looks OK, I would be inclined to think it was..................................OK.
If ya don't have to squish or stretch, all the better.

best

lance

:thumb: :Australia

K

kevco

Ogriv said:
Thanks Pro-Motion, but your sheet only indicates the number height as well. I hate to assume anything, but I assume the dimensions are kept proportional and my 36" measurement would be close?
It all depends one the font and how much you lay the over, but most of the time they will work proportional. I'm assumeing by 36" you mean a double digit number, if so that sounds abou right for a thick stroke font. Don't assume that all numbers need to be 18" tall it varies from class to class and track to track. I have a maxium of 22" for my packages. My packages and prices are on my web site if you want to take a look. My prices are way too low. I make good money off them, but could have charged more. I'll end up doing about 80% of the cars at my local track this year. That is way too many so I'm going up on my prices next year. To be honest I still have 5 cars to do and am plum out of ideas as how to make each one stand out.

PMG

Ogriv said:
,,I just use this as a starting point,,depends on the size of the panel I'm working on,that will determine the final size.

Ogriv

depends on the size of the panel I'm working on
There is my problem. I don't know the panel size. I have never made numbers for race cars before. I am doing this package deal as a favor for a friend of a friend that owns and operates his own race track. Apparently his previous vinyl number supplier moved away and is no longer available. They contacted me yesterday wanting me to sell a numbers package tomorrow at his race show / event / swap meet. So I wanted to have a heads up on possible sizes.
I checked the IAMC web site (I don't think those are the correct initials) that governs the dirt track racing. In the rules, it only states a minimum height and line thickness.

I realize it would have to fit on the door, but seeing how I am attending the show at 8am in the morning, I was hoping that some experienced folks would remember the approximate widths.

Many Thanks for the Info. :thankyou:

K

kevco

Just as a quick rule of thumb, on a full size stock car (mod, street stock, hobbystock, etc.) you have about 4' of usable space. Mini-mods and mini-stocks about 3.5' but the min. hight is usally smaller.