• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Radio Stations R4 Suckers

Mikeifg

Had a guy we did some work for who worked at a radio station come in the other day looking for some van graphics. I had done work for his old company charged the norm and was paid. This new station he's with has some graphics that look like they are printed on 2month vinyl I mean peeling off bad color etc. But the van also has this other graphics company name on it. I asked why aren't they doing it and he said they were too busy. Red flag there. So I said I would make him a deal. I design up there new van and tell them I'll remove the old graphics for free but charge for the new ones going on. WELL a week later and there van was done BY the other shop!! with my design and with the same 2month vinyl and the design was stretched way out of proportion but thats besides the point. I'm sick of the freebe city I live in. Granted I have a core group of customers who are great but it's the people like this that piss me off. As well as the hack shop who did the van. They advertise a truck around town with lettering on the bed logos on the door hood and tailgate and say get your vehicle lettered like this for 200.00 Yep with the same 2month vinyl. So if there lurking here I would suggest getting some design classes first of all learn what to really charge secondly and thanks for the motivation that will keep me out there getting more work because of Quality, Skill and a price that will keep me in business long after your gone.:rock-n-roll:

Mike

Techman

So why don't you go ahead and file a claim and get paid?
And, why did you let the guy walk out with your artwork and not pay a deposit or a fee?

You say the other guy is a hack but you do things that we all know not to do and expect the hacks to be standing with some ethics..

TheSnowman

Ah, I love this area we live in Mike. Why go anywhere else? Is this a country station in our area by chance? Don't name any names...I like to play guessing games in my head.

ProWraps

i worked in radio for years. the best advice i can give is that they ONLY do what is best for them when it comes to ratings and or money.

this goes for vendors and THEIR employees. i saw many of my friends get tossed out of the building the second their ratings came in lower than the station wanted.

typically they only pay in trade, and they ALWAYS go with the lowest bidder if trade doesnt work.

dont EVER expect them to have any sort of loyalty or regard for you or your business. if you do, you will be disappointed. its just the way radio is.

i quit my job because i had a better offer and did it the right way. after i put in my notice we had our christmas party. my boss that i did very well for, wouldnt even say hi to me. instead he said "your already gone."

that pretty much sums it up.

the SWEET SWEET irony of this story is, when i was there i watched them go to someone for their vehicle wraps (10 years ago, i never even knew i was going to be in the wrap biz). that person is now my competition (that we now CRUSH). now they came to me for their wraps. and they did their typical on the cheap, we are radio, give us what we want. and they explained to me how radio is HURTING which it was thriving when i worked there 10 years ago. sob story this, sob story that which i believe because radio is a DYING media now.

you know what i did? i SENT THEM PACKING. it was sweet irony to say the least.

Mikeifg

Since he WAS a friend I did not get a depost etc.. Definatly my fault I will bill them for the design and it's a hip hop station Craig. I dont listen to them anyways. Live and learn.

G-Artist

WHOA!!! HOLD ON!!!

You can make 10X-100X more with this theft than you could have if you sold them
the job.

You have all the original files in native format and dated. Secure these and make
copies.

Now, visit your lawyer. He either will take the case or refer you to an IP lawyer if s/he
isn't comfortable in that area of the law (highly specialized).

Your lawyer will immediately send a C&D letter to BOTH the would-be original purchaser
as well as the sign shop who did the wrap. That's standard and a prelude to a lawsuit filing.

You probably will be advised to send a copy of your art to the Copyright Office and
register it. Let your lawyer do the paperwork.

From there, one can hope for a negotiated settlement. That settlement will include the
fee your lawyer will be charging.

If no settlement, it is off to federal court and you will sue both parties.

They each will have severe costs via their lawyer's bills alone if they refuse to settle out-of-court.

And when the court awards you your claim, the defendants will have to pay your lawyer fees
as well. That's a part of the law but you have to ask for it in the original complaint.

Very few courts do not award those fees.

As blatant as this rip-off was, you are sure to get your due.

It's worth the effort.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly.... I don't think its just the radio or TV stations with an outlook like this. Today, almost everyone is doing this. Heck, just read the many threads about this sort of customer behavior and you'll see just about every industry is playing games at the vendors' expense. People are taking advantage of friendships, business loyalty and demand [size of job being promised].

Now, let's put the shoe on the other foot. How many of you call a vendor and ask for a price on something based on a customer's request. The vendor gives you all the specs and information you need to make the perfect purchase. Then, how many of you come on here and ask where to save a few pennies to get it somewhere else ?? Sound familiar ??