• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RAID Question

cgsigns_jamie

So my RIP computer is my old design computer and it has a 40 gig hard drive so I purchased a new 500 gig SATA hard drive to add to the 40. I was going to install VersaWorks on the new hard drive and leave Windows on the 40 gig. The problem I'm having is the new hard drive won't show up in Windows because RAID is turned on in the BIOS. So I turn off RAID and I get a stop error when Windows loads.

So my questions is do I need to change a setting in Windows before I turn off RAID in the BIOS to make sure Windows expects the change and doesn't give me a nice blue screen of death??

The specs for this machine:
  • Dell Precision 670
  • Dual - Hyper Threaded Xenon Processors - 3GHz (64bit)
  • 4 Gigs of Memory
  • 1 40 Gig SATA Hard Drive
  • 1 500 Gig SATA Hard Drive (The new one)
  • Windows XP x64 Edition
:thankyou: In advance...

SignBurst PCs

You shouldn't have to make any changes in Windows, but some BIOS and /or RAID controllers may force you to create a "striped" volume in the RAID setup even though it is a single drive. I don't see it too often, but it may be a possibility.

Also, since the drive is new, have you looked in "Disk Management" to ensure that the drive isn't just sitting there "unallocated" and waiting to be formatted?

midnightmadman

Those RAID drives always confused the hell out of me too.
I am always wondering....is that other drive really doing what it is supposed too.. and will it be there if I have a catastrophic failure!?

SignBurst PCs

Unless you are getting RAID errors during the boot process, everything should be working correctly. You should be able to see the RAID volume condition during the boot process as well.

cgsigns_jamie

The drive doesn't show up in disk management or in device manager. I can see it in the bios and the raid utility.

I remember I had this issue when dell replaced the motherboard in this computer. What happened is that windows was installed with RAID turned off, but the new motherboard had RAID turned on so I would just get a stop error when windows loaded. The tech from dell didn't realize this and neither did I so he wiped the drive and installed Windows with RAID turned on. Now when I turn RAID off I get the same stop error.

I figured if I "told" Windows that RAID would be turned off the stop error would go away. Just looking to see if anyone knew how that could be done...

Techman

When istalling a new SATA drive.. Often you have to activate the SATA in BIOS. its not always called RAID. This is a confusing detail. Often RAID has to be OFF because it is not actually a RAID.

Also, you may be required to install the SATA or RAID rivers during the XP install to the new drive. THis is the F6 button push at the start of the XP install. Often you will need a floppy to do it. Or you can build a slipstream XP disk.

Is your new drive formated? Did you use the supplied installer CD that came with it?

cgsigns_jamie

The drive didn't come with a disk. Usually when I install a drive in my other computers (all of them have RAID turned OFF) the disk shows up in Computer Management and I initialize it and format it.

I've never used RAID on anything but my server (which was already set up for me by dell) so I'm not familiar with how to set up the drives.

Do I need to do something in the RAID setup like create a new array? How can I create an array with only one drive? Am I just S.O.L.?

Thanks guys for helping...

SignBurst PCs

When istalling a new SATA drive.. Often you have to activate the SATA in BIOS. its not always called RAID. This is a confusing detail. Often RAID has to be OFF because it is not actually a RAID.

Also, you may be required to install the SATA or RAID rivers during the XP install to the new drive. THis is the F6 button push at the start of the XP install. Often you will need a floppy to do it. Or you can build a slipstream XP disk.

Is your new drive formated? Did you use the supplied installer CD that came with it?

This is true... but it sounded to me like he already has Windows installed and running on a 40GB drive. I would assume if there were any SATA or RAID drivers to be loaded, they already would have been in order to get the 40GB up and running.

Have you tried setting up a "striped" array with a single drive from within the RAID console?

It is odd that you have RAID enabled with a single 40GB drive anyhow.

cgsigns_jamie

RAID was originally turned off like the other workstations. These computers save all their data on the server so I ordered them with single 40 gig drives just for windows and programs.

This particular computer had the motherboard replaced by dell and the bios default had raid turned on, so when he installed windows raid was turned on. So now when I turn off RAID I get the stop error.

Oh and Casey you are correct, Windows is already up and running on the 40 gig, I just want to add the new 500 gig as a separate hard drive.

Last edited:

SignBurst PCs

I really think that you should try and setup a single drive array in the RAID console.

From the info that you have given us, it sounds like your best bet to me.

cgsigns_jamie

So I tried and I get this message:

"No Array can be created with the number of drives selected
Please review your drive selection."

I have the new drive selected when I choose create new array, I just don't think it'll let me create a one disk array.

... :frustrated: This is why I normally use a Mac 

SignBurst PCs

That's funny.... Macs have RAID too.

Go into the BIOS and especially to the RAID portion of the BIOS. You may have to set each drive to RAID or non-RAID (even with SATA drives).

cgsigns_jamie

Yes Macs have RAID but it's configured in Disk Utility and is WAY simpler than this. Just select your drives (with a mouse) and tell it you want to use RAID and it just works. As a Mac user I have to take a jab at the PC at least once a day, it's just a natural part of the arrogant Mac user. :ROFLMAO:

The particular RAID controler on the Dell just has like a "Master Switch" where you turn RAID on or off, you can't select it for individual drives.

I've left the office for the day so I won't be able to get access to the machine until tomorrow. I got your PM so if I need to I will certainly give you a call tomorrow.

Once again thank you for your help :notworthy:

choucove

This could possibly be the SATA Operation setting that you have the computer set to, as we have had the same problems before with Dell systems here at the University of Kansas. In the BIOS often the SATA operation is set to the type that is ONLY compatible with Windows Vista, and must be switched to the other that is compatible with Windows XP. Once that operation is changed in the BIOS menu, it usually worked just fine.

It could definitely be something else, but that is an idea and I know that it causes a similar issue of the drive not showing up (or if you only have SATA drives then the computer will not load the drive.)

cgsigns_jamie

Well I'm just about out of ideas. I think this weekend I'll just reinstall Windows with RAID turned off so I can use both hard drives.

Just incase someone may have an idea I posted a photo of the BIOS screen that controls if RAID is on or off as well as a photo of the RAID control program.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 113
  • raid.jpg
    raid.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 103

SignBurst PCs

So what happens when you reboot and type Ctrl+A when prompted? Does it take you to the RAID configuration screen?

If so, can you post a picture of the screen that you get after to type Ctrl+A?

Last edited:

Techman

are all the drives SATA?
If so then SATA is all you need on in BIOS
IF you have ide drives.. Very likely because cd roms are ide then you will need the auto setting, or the combination setting..

And finally, if you have two SATA drives,, (which it seems so) you will possibly need a RAID CARD for run those IDE drives (cd rom) on older motherboards.. IT is not a RAID setting on the BIOS..
the RAID card is about 15 bux very low priced.. But works perfect.

cgsigns_jamie

Casey... Attached is a photo of the first screen for the RAID controller. The second photo shows the first screen under disk utilities. The third photo shows my options in the disk utilities.

Techman... Yes all the hard drives are SATA. I do have a DVD burner that is a parallel drive, as well as a floppy drive. I'm not sure why I would need a RAID card to use my DVD drive as it works fine now...

Attachments

• raid2.jpg
    raid2.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 186
  • raid3.jpg
    raid3.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 112
  • raid4.jpg
    raid4.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 184

SignBurst PCs

Well there ya go. It would seem to me that you have to format that disk from the disk utilities page. Then it will show up in the OS.

Make sure that you format the right disk. SATA Port #1 (not #0).

The RAID screen told you that the disk wouldn't show up in the OS unless it was configured. Format it and it should be configured. It is a new drive right? No data yet. If so, then format it from the disk utilities screen.