• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Really, really OLD vinyl removal product/technique recommendations

Joe Diaz

This isn't in my wheelhouse, so suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've got a sports car here that I want to take extra care with. It has 10 inch wide silver metallic rally stripes that have been on there sunbathing for several years longer than they should. The stuff is all cracked and weathered and instead of coming off in a few pieces, will most likely come off in a few million little pieces. I'm wondering if any of you have had good luck with a product that expedites this process?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Zapper, but as mentioned it will be a different sheen to it. Probably be very noticeable.

Joe Diaz

I was thinking about using the wheels as a last resort. I don't have a lot of experience with one, so I guess I'm afraid of marring up the paint. But if there isn't some sort of chemical solution, that might be the way I go.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are doing metal, any kinda metal, it will not mar up the paint job. After the vinyl and rubber debris are wiped clean, just hit it with alcohol and it will look like nothing was ever there, except it will be bright and shiny. We use them all the time and nothing has ever gone wrong, except when we hit a rear bumper, that was not metal. Oops.

AKwrapguy

Heat gun and time... Rapid remover to remove adhesive. Depending on how long the stripe has been on there and how much UV damage is on the original paint, there's good sign that you will see difference under the stripe. As far as the wheel goes, I have a guy here that used them all the time. Just take your time, pay attention to how much pressure you using.

AKwrapguy

If you are doing metal, any kinda metal, it will not mar up the paint job. After the vinyl and rubber debris are wiped clean, just hit it with alcohol and it will look like nothing was ever there, except it will be bright and shiny. We use them all the time and nothing has ever gone wrong, except when we hit a rear bumper, that was not metal. Oops.

What happened to the bumper?

TimToad

This isn't in my wheelhouse, so suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've got a sports car here that I want to take extra care with. It has 10 inch wide silver metallic rally stripes that have been on there sunbathing for several years longer than they should. The stuff is all cracked and weathered and instead of coming off in a few pieces, will most likely come off in a few million little pieces. I'm wondering if any of you have had good luck with a product that expedites this process?

Joe, try VinylOff on a little piece. It seems to work the best on vinyl that is that far gone. Its turns it into a gelatinous goo, but at least you can then get most of it off with a soft squeegee or plastic razor blades. After that, I'd go at it with Rapid Remover.