• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendation for Printing Ceiling Mural (4,000sq/ft)

PMaher

Hello, I am graphic designer doing work for a church building. We have a design that we would like to cover the entire surface area of the ceiling. The Ceiling is Barrel Ceiling.

I do not know much about printing but I hear too many different opinions such as:

- 3M Vinyl is the best way
- Do not use phototex
- Use Abaco beach wallpaper (Koro) because its permanent
- Use latex ink because its more vibrant and precise in colors.

My concern regarding 3M is that it has a poster look to it which is what we do not want. We want an authentic look.

So I am looking for advice and perhaps recommendation for printers and installers.

Also I am interested is Metallic Gold Printing to achieve a Gold leaf type of appearance for similar project.

Thank You So much!

Christian @ 2CT Media

So if it were me, I would test 3M IJ39 with a matte or textured laminate and if it worked I would staple the edges and overlaps to make sure it didn't fall.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hello, I am graphic designer doing work for a church building. We have a design that we would like to cover the entire surface area of the ceiling. The Ceiling is Barrel Ceiling.

I do not know much about printing but I hear too many different opinions such as:

- 3M Vinyl is the best way
- Do not use phototex
- Use Abaco beach wallpaper (Koro) because its permanent
- Use latex ink because its more vibrant and precise in colors.

My concern regarding 3M is that it has a poster look to it which is what we do not want. We want an authentic look.

So I am looking for advice and perhaps recommendation for printers and installers.

Also I am interested is Metallic Gold Printing to achieve a Gold leaf type of appearance for similar project.

Thank You So much!

I would also recommend a wall paper type stock, we do a lot of this branded material, they were the key developers for the competing brands. Products - InVinci Surfaces

FatCat

Whatever you use, I would not want to install 4000' overhead...yikes

Yeah, this would be my concern. I recently bid on a project where they originally wanted to do the ceiling (3500 SF) and I talked them out of it. I am sure it can be done, but man, what a PITA. Even with a scissor lift, I can imagine it would be a struggle to get it all on there. Not sure how the Korographics would hold to the ceiling as the wight of it would want to pull itself off the wall before the past dried.... I almost would say the adhesive vinyl would be a better choice, but then again, I was concerned about longevity and whether or not we would run into an issue with the paint, that usually doesn't manifest itself until a day or so after you get it up there. Been there, done that, don't want to go through it again!!!

There is nothing wrong with using Photo Tex - It has been used in many ceiling installs. Happy to send sample walterjr@phototexgroup.com

Attachments

• 07d3dcd35447ecd7222e23c407a71b54.jpg
    07d3dcd35447ecd7222e23c407a71b54.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 255
  • UKfootballsm.jpg
    UKfootballsm.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 234
  • OPAS UV Ceilingsm.jpg
    OPAS UV Ceilingsm.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 237

BALLPARKSIGNS

I would get a sample of PhotoTex and test it. I'm not sure why it's listed as a do not use. I never like to use anything with a vinyl laminate for wall graphics and/or murals.

PhotoTex is by far my favorite product that we print on and I've been known to help lower our clients price in effort to be able to cover more areas of their building. It's so easy to work with and our UV flatbed makes quick work of the prints. We are getting ready to do about 200+ linear feet using it and I keep looking at our project board waiting for the other stuff to be done so I get to start that project. It's the easiest thing I get to do that makes really good money.