• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendations for cleaning acrylic?

Big EZ Signs LLC

Howdy all, I'm looking for recommendations for cleaning acrylic? I've used denatured alcohol in the past, and it's caused "crazing" in the acrylic. My local plastics supplier wants to sell me their in-house cleaner for $9/bottle. Any recommendations out there? I'm mostly interested in degreasing (removing handprint oils) prior to applying vinyl/dimensional letters.
Thanks in advance.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Water, with a tiny drop of dish soap. Alcohol will cause crazing when it's flame polished. I've learned that if it's not flame polished, alcohol is ok to use.

tulsagraphics

For cleaning, yeah... what Boudica said. Or if you have blemishes to get rid of (and you aren't flame polishing), the Novus acrylic polish works really well.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Re-reading the OP... if your not printing directly on the acrylic with a UV flatbed... it's not like you need to worry about fingerprints on that level. So, (listen to the echo) all you need is a damp cloth. just don't over handle the substrate so much before applying the graphics - all you need is a damp cloth to wipe it down first. you don't need alcohol, or any fancy $ cleaner... for your described application methods.

unmateria

Please... Never use alcohols of any type on acrylic. Even isopropyl. There is enough chemistry literature about it to bury us all lol And lots of us know by experience that is a lottery that *usually* you win on the short run but fails on the long run

signbrad

Back when I was a youngster coming up in the trade, cleaning acrylic was the last step before back-spraying a lighted sign face with translucent paints. For cleaning, and removing static, we always used alcohol cut with water, roughly 2 to 1, just like the "rubbing alcohol" used in hospitals as a disinfectant, which is isopropyl alcohol mixed with purified water. Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) is the least toxic of all the alcohols except ethanol. "Denatured" alcohol, sold in hardware stores, is simply ethanol that has been mixed with something to make it poisonous, rendering it undrinkable. Often the added ingredient is methanol, a very toxic alcohol. Methanol is the simplest of the alcohols, and it is cheap, commonly used as an engine fuel in race cars, and, unlike ethanol and isopropanol, it is miscible in both oil and water, but it is highly toxic so it is commonly added in small amounts to ethanol to "denature" it, making it useless for anything except as a cleaner.

We were taught to always add water to the alcohol when wiping down acrylic—it cleans better. I never understood why till I worked as a janitor. Water is considered the "universal solvent." It dissolves and cleans more substances than any other liquid. In the early 3M technical bulletins for cleaning surfaces prior to applying vinyl, a final wipe with isopropanol/water was recommended as the final step.

But the real secret to cleaning acrylic without introducing static is to use a chamois. A rag or cloth will always add static when rubbing. A chamois does not.

Also, about flame-polishing: it introduces micro-fissures in the plastic—thousands of tiny invisible cracks. So when you hit them with a fast-evaporating solvent, the cracks can expand and become visible.

Brad in Kansas City

Last edited:

sultania

Please... Never use alcohols of any type on acrylic. Even isopropyl. There is enough chemistry literature about it to bury us all lol And lots of us know by experience that is a lottery https://loteriasdehoycolombia.co/ that *usually* you win on the short run but fails on the long run
You are absolutely correct, using alcohol on acrylic can have negative effects on the material. If the acrylic has undergone processes like flame polishing during manufacturing, it can weaken the bonds near the surface of the material. When alcohol or a similar solvent is applied, it can dissolve these weakened bonds and cause crazing, seep into cracks, and potentially lead to cracking upon drying

BetaCtz

Here's a conversation within
RapidTac vs. soapy water.

Is there alcohol within rapidtac? If so, enough to be concerned with crazing on a flame-polished panel?

MikePro

i clean in two steps using rapidtac to "degrease""degunk" and then 60% isopropyl alcohol to make it pristine.
then again, i don't flame polish, and I cnc-cut all my own acrylics, so all this crazing paranoia is unwarranted for 99.999% of my acrylic experience.

Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Is $9 too much for the job ?? Sounds rather inexpensive and convenient.
No, $9 is not too much for the job.

Look for Brillianize, the acrylic cleaner and opt-in for any special cloths such as the suede and / or the polyester. It's been around forever and sometimes branded by Kodak for scanners, other tech equipment, museum and gallery displays, etc.

gnubler

I use Brillianize, but only when I'm onsite cleaning acrylic post-install or doing a maintenance call. Acrylic is a magnet for children's sticky fingerprints.

And I continue to be in awe and appreciative of SignBrad's hyper-informative posts.

TEN

Acrylic that has been laser cut is also susceptible to crazing on the edges if isopropyl is used.

Johnny Best

I have always used Sprayway glass cleaner. Home Depot carries it. Never a problem and I polish edges with buffer and bar compound.

ikarasu

Here's a conversation within
RapidTac vs. soapy water.

Is there alcohol within rapidtac? If so, enough to be concerned with crazing on a flame-polished panel?
Rapidtac says not to use it on flame polished acyrlic.... Big warning on the bottle. Whether it's because of alcohol or not... No idea. But usually if a manufacturer warns you not to use it on a certain product, I follow their directions!

I guess it could be a warning so you don't blame them if something happens.... But I bet it's more likely enough people used it and ruined their acyrlic that they had to put a warning on the bottle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231215_205051_Amazon Shopping.png
    Screenshot_20231215_205051_Amazon Shopping.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

signbrad

Yes, Rapid Tac contains alcohol. Its SDS data sheet says it is 10-20% ethanol.

Ethanol is the alcohol in whisky, drinkable in its natural state. It's what makes Rapid Tac "rapid." Rapid Tac's main function is to accelerate the initial tack of the adhesive on the vinyl. Water with detergent does not do this, but is a wetting solution only.

Rapid Tac II contains a solvent that works faster than regular Rapid Tac.
Propylene glycol methyl ether is one of its names, "an organic solvent with a wide variety of industrial and commercial uses. Similar to other glycol ethers, it is used as a carrier/solvent in printing/writing inks and paints/coatings. It also finds use as an industrial and commercial paint stripper. It is used as an antifreeze in diesel engines." (from Wikipedia).

Brad in Kansas City