• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removal advice needed

ontsigngirl

Does anyone know the best way to remove factory applied vehicle lettering? The Seirra name on the truck door is in a bad spot for my logo, and i want to take it off. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Billct2

Vinyl lettering or a plastic badge?
I would guess you know how to remove vinyl, so I'll assume a badge.
They are usually on with dbl stick tape. Warm it up a little with a hairdyer
and use a squeeqe to carefully pry it off, or use some fishing line to cut thru the tape and then clean up the residue with prepsol or paint thinner.

ontsigngirl

Yeah, its the plastic badge. Wasnt sure about the adhesive used. Dont wnt to damage the paint, as the truck is brand new. Thanks.

ProWraps

heat and a chizzler or squeege to get the letters off. then more heat and fingers to get off the double sided tape. follow up with rapid remover for the remainder. clean with 70% iso.

or just throw some shrimp in the door panels.

natedawg9640

fishing line, or a thin plastic scraper... the emblems aren't bolted on... worst case scenario they have guide pins/holes in the door behind them (only the larger heavy ones like the superduty ford emblems and such). if they are just the letters, those are just double sided tape. heat them a little, pry them off and remove the adhesive. you might want to get one of those rubber eraser wheels you put on a drill. maybe someone else can link you to one. they make short work of that adhesive. the foam tape is a pain to get off even with decent chemicals.

ProWraps

seriously. we wrap hundreds of cars a year. we remove so many emblems we have a wall of them.

read my description above. it takes us no more than 5 minutes to de-emblem the worst of them.

the only ones with pegs going through the body are old vehicles especially fords. dont worry about that. you arent dealing with that. use heat. get the plastic emblems off.

use more heat and your finger or a scraper and get the double sided tape off. remove the rest with rapid remover.

clean up with 70% ISO. DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. fishing line is CRAP. it breaks and takes too much time. use a chizz or a squeege (teflon or hard card). pop the fuxors off, then do the rest!

BobM

seriously.

PS. fishing line is CRAP. it breaks and takes too much time. use a chizz or a squeege (teflon or hard card). pop the fuxors off, then do the rest!

I found fishing line, 30 lb test, to be the easiest way. Wrap a little on your fingers, pull thru with a sawing action. Seconds later the emblems are gone. No scratches or little pry marks. W little Rapid Remover to get the glue and Rapid Prep to clean. Never a problem.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
These http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-nonmarring-scraper-set-95832.html

Fellers used to sell these (no longer does but HF at the link above has them). They work great and make emblem removal incredibly quick and easy. They also come in handy for some scraping work where you dont want to scratch the paint up but want something a little easier to hold and stronger than a chizler is squeegee. They are very rigid and strong. We finally wore a set out after some employees used them a bit too much for scraping and I was pretty happy when I ran across them at our local Harbor Frieght.

dhamlett15

Be care full with the rapid remover on ford emblems the last one I took off a tailgate the rapid remover removed some of the blue off the chrome ford emblem.