• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Remove & Replace job... Vinyl won't come off

signshoppdx

Its just shredding and brittle (chilly outside, but sunny) and he has to take 30 of them off. HELP - any suggestions? He's using a heat gun and it isn't helping.

is it old vinyl? that would be why it is cracking in little bits, probably the cooler temp doesn't help... what about getting it really hot?

IDB Signs

What are you removing it from? If its a sheet substrate it may be cheaper and easier to replace the panel. Obviously this won't work if it is on a vehicle or something.

2B

you can try a commercial steamer
or be heavy-handed with Rapid Removal

for the really brittle stuff, we rent a high pressure, high temp washer.
NOTE this makes a HORRIBLE MESS, best to do it where cleanup is easy

People are so vague with their questions but seem to expect their peers to magically provide answers. I'll never understand this. Details and photos are always extremely helpful.

blacksmith

Get yourself an MBX tool. It works great removing old, cracked vinyl from vehicles, even at 35-40 degrees F. Strips the vinyl and most of the adhesive residue. A little Rapid Remove rand some shellac thinner does the rest. Does mot work on polycarbonate or acrylic. Most major sign suppliers sell them and the replacement eraser wheels.

signshoppdx

425A15E8-852D-4961-B315-31EA1ACB622C.jpeg
4647F241-7CB0-4EB8-9C38-4AE9CCDCEACD.jpeg
Not enough info. What is the surface vinyl is being removed from?

It’s on glass windows. I’m in the Pacific Northwest and this has been the first cold of the season. It was around 55° for a high.
I think the cold is a big part of it.

JR's

Thank you Mr. Smith, this actually helps quite a bit.
On glass I recommend a steamer. You can pick it up at the hardware store for around $150.
Use the wide attachment. It's like 6" x 10" and that will heat up that area and then you can start to peel
the vinyl off, while you're peeling move the steamer down a little bit and that will start to heat that area.
Try to get it the right temperature and most of the glue will come off with the vinyl.
Any remaining glue use rapid remover. Then clean the glass as you would clean glass. LOL that sounds funny.

JR's

This is the one you want to get.
It seems to be higher-quality than the newer model. It's going for 80 bucks

When you get to the job site plug that in first and then start to get everything ready it takes a couple minutes to start steaming.

Attachments

• steamer.JPG
    steamer.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 232

rjssigns

This is the one you want to get.
It seems to be higher-quality than the newer model. It's going for 80 bucks

When you get to the job site plug that in first and then start to get everything ready it takes a couple minutes to start steaming.

This^^^^

Steam works a treat. I bought the same steamer from Menard's and it was less than 50 bucks. I had a job like the OP's where the vinyl was welded to the glass. Steam took it and the glue right off.

d fleming

Down in the south we can just hit it with a 4" sheetrock knife and rapid remover.I like to use some rapid tac to help the blade slide too.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was just going to recommend a 4" scraper and elbow grease. I have always shy-ed(sp?) away from heat on glass in the cold, assuming I'd crack the biggest window on the job. Is this not a concern, or has this happened to any of you steamer folks?

I worry about this too.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
On glass, i will cut the vinyl into smaller strips in cooler weather. If that doesn't work, scrap it and then use adhesive remover and scrape the adhesive.

Every vinyl and situation is different but I would try every method mentions and work in the warmest part of the day and when the sun is on the windows.

If you keep the heat moving you are less likely to crack the glass. Steam wont crack the glass unless it is already damaged.