• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Painted Letting From Glass

MariaMartini

I have a customer who just bought a church and needs the old service times removed from the windows and replaced with the new service times.

I will be using vinyl lettering, but the old service times were painted on. Should I use a scraper or paint thinner?

There are two areas about 2 x 5 feet that need the lettering removed. How much would you typically charge for this?

Thanks!

Jillbeans

I would charge an hourly fee of $25.
Get a good razor blade holder/scraper and a new box of single-edged blades.
Put down a drop cloth, even tape it up under where you will be removing the lettering.
Scrape off the paint, changing blades frequently. You do not want to scratch the glass. Bring an old cardboard box to toss the old blades into.
If there is any residue, use Rapid Remover and scrape it off too. Be careful not to get it all over the place.
Then clean up with Windex.
There may be ghosting on the glass if the lettering has been there a long time.
Love.....Jill

SignosaurusRex

Before using a Razor Blade, Wash the area well to remove any possible dirt or grit. Dirt and grit along with a razor blade are a deadly combination on glass. Wiping down the lettering with acetone will soften the paint making the razoring easier. While using the razor blade be sure to keep the area flooded with soapy water as a lubricant to aid in the slide of the blade. Always use fresh sharp blades and a low blade angle when working on glass. To remove any ghost image from the window, thoroughly scrub using a damp wet soft clean cloth with a generous lather of Bon Ami soap cake or Bon Ami cleaning powder.

encadtech

Rex has it nailed - I would recommend a 4" wide scrapper - this helps to prevent picking up 1 side and digging in the corner of the blade. - GL