• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Requisite Earth Day Green up our industry thread

Typestries

Well, it's Earth Day 2012. And yes, I know some of you think being a steward of the Earth is greenwashing bs. For the rest of us that recognize how wasteful and dirty our industry is let this be a thread to share ideas we've used or plan to use in 2012 to reduce the impact your shop has on the environment.

For example this quarter we recycled 29 cubic yards of scrap plastics, donated 20+ oversize rolls of laminator take up to schools and churches, sent off 2 big boxes of scrap vinyl to local preschools, and filled our "free tarps" bin out front 7 times (locals pick up banner scraps for dropcloths, firewood covers, etc. ).

To those that say we do this simply to "save money on trash removal" I'd suggest you walk a mile in our shoes. It takes far more man hours to do this stuff this than the cost of simply tossing it in the dumpster. We are doing it because I personally feel its fundamentally the right thing to do.

Simple stuff, yeah. Let's hear some other creative ideas.

rjssigns

We use water-based clear on large exterior panels and for edge sealing. Next motorcycle I paint will be with water-based automotive finishes. I figure if I screw up the bike trying a new system it will be an easy fix.:rolleyes:

Slamboni

Substrate

We Use all only recycled ABS on all of our Panel signs. Plus we got an HPL26500 to print using water based latex inks. All of our signs can be recycled again and have no end-of-life. Let me know if anyone here is interested in using this material as as substrate let me know, we have tons of it. We used it to make our restroom partitions, desk shleving, and anything else we can think up for this material.