• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

REWORKING LEXAN

lisa marie

ok, 4 months ago i hung 2 lexan backlit panels, they just came down for new customer, i stripped the panels, do i need to remove all the old adhesive prior to laying new translucent media? no ghosts.... adhesive is on every square inch of the panels... oi! just need to get this done asap, please advise oh wise ones!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
You absolutely need to remove it. It will show through on whatever you install on top as "texture".
Optionally, you can use the back side- but keep in mind some polycarbonate has a "face" side and the reverse will age (yellowing, usually) faster.

gnubler

This is why a lot of shops won't reuse old panels. Ends up being more work and costing more than if you just started with a new substrate.

There's always exceptions, though. I got sucked into a nightmare job once of updating the bottom section of a vertical backlit sign that was one solid piece of polycarb standing at least 12 feet tall. Figured it would be "easier" to remove the old vinyl onsite, without getting into the challenging logistics of pulling down a huge sign like that. It ended up taking eight man hours to pull the old vinyl off, all the while stomping through landscaping and flower beds and putting on an entertaining show along a busy road. Who designs things like this, with zero thought put into future updates?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just get yourself some rapid remover and spray a section at a time, like a 2' x 3' area. Use a little water and wipe it clean. Don't know the size, but it shouldn't take long. When finished, wipe it down with 91% alcohol.

lisa marie

i usually just get new panels, i just was thinking that they were just a few months old that they would strip off easy, we have had some serious heat, so im sure they just cooked on... oh well.... new panels are on the way.... now to find something to do with the old ones :) thanks for everyones input! i appreciate it!

gnubler

Removals are usually a guessing game. I recently dealt with removing factory graphics from a cargo trailer, they looked like they were in good shape and customer said it was only 2 years old. My estimate of 3 hours took more like 6, and used two quarts of Rapid Remover. During the removal the customer mentioned the trailer came from Arizona, so that probably explains the difficulty.

JBurton

Signtologist
but keep in mind some polycarbonate has a "face" side
AFAIK, all poly has a uv coated side. Easiest way to tell (if it still has the curl to it), the convex side is coated.
When finished, wipe it down with 91% alcohol.
I'd say either dawn and water, or rapid tac after remover. The rapid remover leaves an oily residue that alcohol takes a while to cut. Follow either thing with alcohol.

netsol

what about TSP, if it is a greasy residue?
home depot has a synthetic TSP substitute (i always keep a quart of this stuff at the shop)

JBurton

Signtologist
what about TSP, if it is a greasy residue?
home depot has a synthetic TSP substitute (i always keep a quart of this stuff at the shop)
For the rapid remover residue, or the glue? It'd likely work for the remover residue, though I don't know if I'd use a 'no rinsing required' cleaning agent under my vinyl, too much chance of stuff being left behind. A drop or two of dawn in a spray bottle is pretty cheap, just don't use too much or you'll be dragging it to the water hose to cut the dawn.

netsol

REAL TSP, of couse, requires rinsing, and i ALWAYS rince

it's a painters product, that i use for lots of things

somcalmetim

Removals are usually a guessing game. I recently dealt with removing factory graphics from a cargo trailer, they looked like they were in good shape and customer said it was only 2 years old. My estimate of 3 hours took more like 6, and used two quarts of Rapid Remover. During the removal the customer mentioned the trailer came from Arizona, so that probably explains the difficulty.
Never had good luck removing factory cargo trailer or motorhome graphics...usually some type of vinyl that fuses with the paint/gelcoat...

monroesigns

Lisa Marie, I think most of us here (if we are honest with ourselves) have tried to save a client (new or not) some money by re-conditioning or re-using panels. I have only be doning this work for 15 years (much less than many on this forum), but I learned early on that re-conditioning almost always costs more in labor than purchasing new panels (polycarb, ACM, etc).

Take a moment to congratulate yourself in learning the lesson now, and realize you have many years ahead where you can use this tough learned lesson.

You absolutely need to remove it. It will show through on whatever you install on top as "texture".
Optionally, you can use the back side- but keep in mind some polycarbonate has a "face" side and the reverse will age (yellowing, usually) faster.
Is there a way to tell face side from reverse side?

gnubler

Never had good luck removing factory cargo trailer or motorhome graphics...usually some type of vinyl that fuses with the paint/gelcoat...
Can anyone expand on this? What I thought would take a couple hours ended up being more like six. Absolute nightmare. I was out in the field and hadn't thought to bring a wallpaper steamer just in case, maybe that might have helped. Here's what the factory vinyl looked like during the removal. Heat gun helped a bit but the vinyl just snapped after pulling an inch or so of it off, so it was mostly just scraping with plastic blades.

trailer-vinyl.jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
Is there a way to tell face side from reverse side?
Usually, not once the protective coating is removed. But, it's probably the side with the graphics already on it (if it's decorated) or- hopefully- the side facing out (if it's blank).
Polycarbonate has a bow to it. If you can get the panel to stand up on edge, the side that bows out is face side. The side that 'caves in' is the back side.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's also some kinda pen or marker that when put on, will indicate front/back.