• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP iMac Pro

MikePro

"get it while supplies last"...so that we can upgrade the OS and make the hardware obsolete within a year!

WildWestDesigns

"get it while supplies last"...so that we can upgrade the OS and make the hardware obsolete within a year!

While I am no lover of the Macs (and yes, I have owned them over the years, just in case someone thinks this is coming from someone that has never messed with them), I don't really recall them forcing updates (unlike Windows) with the possible exception of the su issue during an OS rollout that they had, I think it was with High Sierra, although I don't think any new OS rollout of theirs recently was issue free. It was the one were it was a su issue, then the first fix broke the repos, so they had to fix that and then the very next regular update broke the su account again, or something like that. I think that was High Sierra.

At least that was how they used to be, don't know if that has changed or not since, which is possible, if it has, I certainly wouldn't take a chance on something that was being discontinued.

dypinc

I would guess that all the Macs that are limited by the heat generated from Intel processors will discontinued. All to be replaced by M1 processor versions. And I expect the Mac Pro with the Intel chip will be replaced sometime soon as well.

The new version of Caldera, is it M1 native?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I have not heard anything from Caldera about M1 compatibility yet. Not a concern right now...still running intel mac pro's here & I know Caldera won't phase out support for them for a long time.

WildWestDesigns

I would guess that all the Macs that are limited by the heat generated from Intel processors will discontinued.

I'm dubious as to if it's all Intel or not, especially since with Apple's latest hobbling parts that they they have added to their machines (T2 chip anyone? and that chip does affect performance as well and (I'm speculating here) this may have been their first foray into getting around Intel as it is, at the start of getting off their "dependence" on Intel if you will).

ARM is great in certain applications, power efficiency is great at lower resource usage, once you start getting into applications that are resource intensive, diminishing returns is pretty much gone at that point. Now, could Apple improve it to where that's a none issue, maybe, that remains to be seen. As it stands now anyway, subject to change. There is a reason why they started with their more "consumer" lineup with this change.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Thats good...looks like they caught up with Apple then. Im not going to any different processors anytime soon...sticking with my Intel workhorses here. 10% speed increase....sounds good to me!

victor bogdanov

Ill stick with my Ryzen 3950x 16 core with 64gig ram, runs chrome just fast enough to get on the forums, oh and 5 gig illustrator files sometimes. Although some of my cutting computers are about 10 years old still going strong, due to never being updated or connected to the internet I think

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Regarding Macs being rendered obsolete by OS upgrades... quite the contrary. I am running a 2013 Imac with the previous OS Catalina. I've seen absolutely no slowdowns since new. I did not expect to own it this long nor did I think it would keep up with newer operating systems. Big sur is the latest Mac OS but my Imac is not supported. Not bad for an 8 year old computer. Every OS update has been troublefree.

I only update my OS to keep up with Adobe CC software. It tends to require the newer OS's in order to work

I will be watching for the new M1 iMacs whenever they come out and look for a replacement

WildWestDesigns

Thats good...looks like they caught up with Apple then. Im not going to any different processors anytime soon...sticking with my Intel workhorses here. 10% speed increase....sounds good to me!

I find what will happen is that we will see more web based programs, even graphically intensive programs on the web (keep in mind AutoCAD runs in the browser).

With WebGPU coming (successor to WebGL), that will allow for low level access to GPU usage.

Love it or hate it (I can see the argument both ways, but I do like web app work, so I'm all for it), I think we will be seeing more of it and that will make obsolete what arch is running on the OS (and even the OS as well won't matter as much). It won't actually make the computer resources demanded less as the browser will still need plenty of resources to effectively use WebGPU etc, so I wouldn't plan on a NUC just yet, but I can definitely see the issue of platform specific programs not being like they once were.

Regarding Macs being rendered obsolete by OS upgrades... quite the contrary.

Slowing down of the computer is only one version of obsolescence. Most people think of that, because it is the easiest thing to measure in terms of "visibility".

There are other ways to make something obsolete. I can promise you that there is certain functionality that you aren't able to yoke on older hardware with the latest and greatest OS and at some point, you won't be able to "consume" the latest OS update due to too much difference in hardware needs (as well as the latest programs), just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean that it isn't still getting to that point and that goes with just about any OS, with the exception of ones that were designed to keep older hardware going. Which Mac is not known for, quite the opposite and they did have their own updates that were determined to render devices slower etc. They had some lame excuse about it, but it was still done.

The fact that they have put in hardware that effectively limits what one is able to do as far as being able to repair it is another thing that I don't like, but I digress (I highly doubt you'll be able to get the same lifespan that you got with your last iMac).

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
Regarding Macs being rendered obsolete by OS upgrades... quite the contrary. I am running a 2013 Imac with the previous OS Catalina. I've seen absolutely no slowdowns since new. I did not expect to own it this long nor did I think it would keep up with newer operating systems. Big sur is the latest Mac OS but my Imac is not supported. Not bad for an 8 year old computer. Every OS update has been troublefree.

I only update my OS to keep up with Adobe CC software. It tends to require the newer OS's in order to work

I will be watching for the new M1 iMacs whenever they come out and look for a replacement
I have an older cheese grater hooked up to two large monitors that I can't put any adobe past 2017 on. My intern would rather use his 13 or 15" mac book with the most recent version. I have a 2 year old iMac and a PC for out put.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Ill stick with my Ryzen 3950x 16 core with 64gig ram, runs chrome just fast enough to get on the forums, oh and 5 gig illustrator files sometimes. Although some of my cutting computers are about 10 years old still going strong, due to never being updated or connected to the internet I think
You should probably retire that 3950 and install an 11th gen. Intel Core i9-11980HK. That will really jump start Chrome, and what it will do with Outlook is amazing, especially when coupled with 319 Tbps internet speed (unfortunately, only available in Japan at this time).

The downside is you will likely melt the cutting blade on your plotter.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You should probably retire that 3950 and install an 11th gen. Intel Core i9-11980HK. That will really jump start Chrome, and what it will do with Outlook is amazing, especially when coupled with 319 Tbps internet speed (unfortunately, only available in Japan at this time).

The downside is you will likely melt the cutting blade on your plotter.
You mean a 11900K?
11980HK is for laptops.

I’ve been using both Mac and windows. I even have a 2012 mbp still working.
while apple doesn’t force updates, software does stop working for older operating systems.
The iMac Pro is. Bit of a waste as it’s not upgradable. And come a day it needs replacing, you’re also replacing a perfectly good screen.
I would rather pay the extra for a Mac Pro. As it’s fully upgradable from storage, ram, graphics card and CPU.

WildWestDesigns

I would rather pay the extra for a Mac Pro. As it’s fully upgradable from storage, ram, graphics card and CPU.
I actually don't know how long that is truly going to be. Writing is on the wall and they don't really want all that many options and compared to what is available for the other main 2 desktop OSs, don't really have as much options at that.

Plus Apple is really pushing for end users not to be able to upgrade after the sale. Cost between upgraded on Apple is certainly higher then the cost per the equivalent to the other 2 OSs and sometimes one can't get as powerful of an upgrade compared to the OSs if you were to do it as apart of the original sale. I should clarify that it isn't cost in of itself, it's cost compared to what I perceive to be the value that I am getting for said cost. I've got some peripherals that cost more then the Apple version (even though Apple doesn't sell a true 1:1 version), but for me, it's a much higher value. Now, may be able to tinker post sale and get some things cheaper, but still those OEMs aren't going to have the same options compared to what is available that can be used for the other desktop OSs.

And yes, there have been a time or two when Apple has forced updates. Especially when they had the su/sudo issues when a previous update broke those (the time that really comes to mind was during the release of a new OS version). Now, one may argue that those were necessary (and big time bugs like that, I would as well), but they can and they have forced updates (but at least they didn't force feature updates (that I am aware of)). Now, is it as much as Windows, especially with Win 10 and I would imagine Win 11(and there are quite a few things that I don't like about Win 11) being even more so, not even close, but make no mistake, they can and they have and there is really nothing stopping them from doing it. Considering both are locking down their systems more and more.

Plus there are hardware "accessories" that they have that are sold as "security" features, but I'm not all that fond of and for one, there is no upgraded if it goes bad. If it goes bye bye, time for a new rig (goes in part with locking down the system).

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I actually don't know how long that is truly going to be. Writing is on the wall and they don't really want all that many options and compared to what is available for the other main 2 desktop OSs, don't really have as much options at that.

Plus Apple is really pushing for end users not to be able to upgrade after the sale. Cost between upgraded on Apple is certainly higher then the cost per the equivalent to the other 2 OSs and sometimes one can't get as powerful of an upgrade compared to the OSs if you were to do it as apart of the original sale. I should clarify that it isn't cost in of itself, it's cost compared to what I perceive to be the value that I am getting for said cost. I've got some peripherals that cost more then the Apple version (even though Apple doesn't sell a true 1:1 version), but for me, it's a much higher value. Now, may be able to tinker post sale and get some things cheaper, but still those OEMs aren't going to have the same options compared to what is available that can be used for the other desktop OSs.

And yes, there have been a time or two when Apple has forced updates. Especially when they had the su/sudo issues when a previous update broke those (the time that really comes to mind was during the release of a new OS version). Now, one may argue that those were necessary (and big time bugs like that, I would as well), but they can and they have forced updates (but at least they didn't force feature updates (that I am aware of)). Now, is it as much as Windows, especially with Win 10 and I would imagine Win 11(and there are quite a few things that I don't like about Win 11) being even more so, not even close, but make no mistake, they can and they have and there is really nothing stopping them from doing it. Considering both are locking down their systems more and more.

Plus there are hardware "accessories" that they have that are sold as "security" features, but I'm not all that fond of and for one, there is no upgraded if it goes bad. If it goes bye bye, time for a new rig (goes in part with locking down the system).
Apart from the "trash can" the Mac Pros have always been upgradable.
There's some good videos on youtube where people buy the base Mac Pro and upgrade it.
Even then, if something does go wrong with a part in there, it's easily replaced rather than replacing the whole thing.

Back then, "Pro" use to mean "pro" and not a marketing gimmick. But it has seemed to stick with the Mac Pro. Only thing i'd be concerned about is if they do the M1/M2 chip in the next pro.

WildWestDesigns

Apart from the "trash can" the Mac Pros have always been upgradable.

And so far it still is, but my question is with them locking down all their other lines, how long is that going to be the case.

Even though it was always against the EULA (even to run it as a VM as well) to do a Hackintosh, up until recently, Apple never really (as much as they could) put a stop to that. It's getting harder and harder and with them going M1, even more so.

Back then, "Pro" use to mean "pro" and not a marketing gimmick. But it has seemed to stick with the Mac Pro. Only thing i'd be concerned about is if they do the M1/M2 chip in the next pro.
I'm going to catch flack for this, but a lot more of Apple is that marketing gimmick then it used to be. It has become more of a fashion accessory then anything else now. That is my own opinion and it is from someone that has dealt with all 3 desktop OSs and dealt extensively with the 3 Unix-like OSs on mobile as well. Macs (Windows too) aren't what they used to be back in the heyday of desktop usage. Even Windows had more power to the user back in the 9x days compared to now (not talking necessarily raw computing power like processor and ram etc, but options and abilities with the end user, but audio actually was handled better back then on Windows then now, but I digress).

As to M chips, they are already partly there now. The "security" hardware feature that I alluded to in my previous post makes it easier to bypass the Intel chip and go M1 and this also blocks certain 3rd party (including you) attempted repairs/upgrades. The presence of this hardware alone is what dings it (in my mind) for fully upgradable.