• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland new launch VS640 !!!

dmayhew26

That doesn't bother me all that much because I laminate everything that leaves my shop anyway. I was more concerned with the print speed I guess more than anything. My SP-540 is pretty slow but works out ok and I print most everything in standard mode. With the silver or white do you have to print in High Quality or will it let you print faster in standard mode? Thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to getting my new machine this week!!!

kustom.printing

Don't get me wrong I may moan but we are looking at getting the XC540MT, what really disappointed me was the banner side, like you we laminate a lot of stickers but I would have like the ink to be a little more robust.

I rubbed the sticker and it came off onto my figure which made me think about banners being un-laminated.

(In my opinion) the XC540 is a better, and definitely a much faster printer. So far with the VS640, we have not had the normal great Roland quality without printing in the Full Scan Mode for all vinyl prints. Hoping new Oracal factory profiles, when available, will help. Roland has it dialed in on their media and the prints look good, test on your normal media and compare (especially if you do small sized prints with Full Scan turned off to increase print speed). Remember, the metallic and white ink require dry time before you print over top...this is the reason for the slow speeds with the two, and only the metallic prints need laminating...not "everything".

artbot

i'm thinking about putting the metallic ink in my jv3160sp. currently i run white and a uv clear coat along side CMYK. i talked to a tech recently when picking up a part and he mentioned some "conductivity issues" with the metallic ink. wondering if he knew something from training that the customers might not in on. like a greater likelihood of head damage due to shorts?

also, i haven't seen the ink yet. how bright of a silver is it? is it similar to bright silver spray paint?

TCBinaflash

Don't get me wrong I may moan but we are looking at getting the XC540MT, what really disappointed me was the banner side, like you we laminate a lot of stickers but I would have like the ink to be a little more robust.

I rubbed the sticker and it came off onto my figure which made me think about banners being un-laminated.

Just the silver, right? Your base inkset should is fine?

kustom.printing

It was silver but will it be easy to scratch on all the metallic colours.

Is silver the colour used in the cart or is it mixed with CMYK and if not will a different colour with CMYK mixed be more resistant to rubbing.

I can understand it being less scratch resistant but it would be nice not to be able to rub it off.

dmayhew26

Got my machine yesterday and playing with it right now. So far so good, The silver printing is fairly slow but worth the wait when its done. The quality of the silver is amazing!!! For me it seems to dry just fine and isn't that easily removed by rubbing but I haven't done any banners yet. Will let everyone know more when I know more!!

jasonx

Got my machine yesterday and playing with it right now. So far so good, The silver printing is fairly slow but worth the wait when its done. The quality of the silver is amazing!!! For me it seems to dry just fine and isn't that easily removed by rubbing but I haven't done any banners yet. Will let everyone know more when I know more!!

How long does it take to print 1 sqm with white and silver?

dmayhew26

I am not exactly sure how long it would take. I haven't been doing anything of size yet with the white. When I do, I will report back.

ProColorGraphics

For those that have this machine, would you recommend it someone? Is it worth it? I have been looking at one and have been contemplating between just the 6 color or the 6 color plus white and silver.

dmayhew26

I am going to have to say it is really going to matter more on what you do in your business? I do a lot of racecars and racing graphics in general. The silver aspect for me makes it worth it. It is slow but not that big of a deal to me as I still have my SP to keep working while silver is printing on the VS. I have only ever owned my SP until now so I can't really tell you in comparison to anything but that machine. I am really happy I got mine and would do it again in a heartbeat. If you more of a large production shop the speed is going to kill you. It's very slow in Silver and white mode. You might be better off going to a dealer around you that has one running and check it out. That would be my suggestion.

ProColorGraphics

My thing has always been quality over speed. I am assuming that you are using the 6 color setup as well since you are using the white and silver. Can you tell a difference with the new 6 color setup over the sp's 4 color? The speed isn't a deciding factor, especially since it is only really slow when printing with white and silver.

dmayhew26

The quality is about the same as my SP print wise. Might be a touch better on the gradients but that would be about it. Both print really good especially since my SP just got a new black print head, it's like brand new again now.

Mark Your Space

I have the 540MT. So far there is not much demand for silver. You have to push it, find places to sell it. Racing graphics and wraps are an opportunity I'm trying to take advantage of.

As far as durability....the metallic on stickers seems to do very well. Haven't had a problem with smudges, etc.

We do print on matte and laminate in most cases.

If you don't use it, you lose it. Kinda sucks but its not a huge expense in the short term while I build up demand.

As far as the 540MT versus the 640VP. Speed is way slower, you aren't getting the bank of overhead fans (I can't imagine that), and you get no take up roll. Advantage of the 640 is the 6 color printing, bit better quality, especially with skin tones (not that the 540 is bad).

petepaz

we went to an open house at one of our venders and the machine is nice
print quality is good, registration of the metallic and white colors are good
and very affordable only down fall is the speed it's slow as hell
there is one other bad thing is which every format you set it up as it has to stay that way they said roland doesn't recommend changing the format and that will effect your warranty (either dual cmyk or cmyk metallic and white)
we actually have more call for the white than the metallic so we are looking at
the xc540