• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland & ONLY Corel??...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Cadmn took a road trip 'cross Tejas for me & got the old Camm-1 PNC-950 plotter to at least respond now... but it only cuts same line of gibberish. Reminds ya of somethin' out of Lost show... some message that portends a cruel fate awaiting, & it just keeps repeating.

Oh well, question is - were/are these Roland legacy plotters well known as Corel only machines? I'm a weirdo who has hated Corel from it's inception, but do know how to use it well if I hafta. I can select the Roland as a device to plot with from Omega, but it still won't work.

Cadmn told me (&I did this w/Freehand10) to set a line weight of .001 with no fill, and it should cut that. Trying to do that has been the ONLY thing so far that has made the carriage move & cut the above mentioned gibberish. I'd add that I did get the drivers installed in sequence up to the WinXP ones. It's lookin' like Corel is mebbe only thing left I might have to do?

geb

Mine cut gibberish the first time I fired it up. I needed a null modem adaptor with a serial setup, that solved the problem for me. That was with Signlab software.

George

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I've been told that over & over too... have it hooked up to the LPT1 printer parallel port now. WHERE can a guy get one of those cables?

2NinerNiner2

Arlo - did you read the reply I sent to your previous post about this and what interface?
"Arlo - what type of interface are you using from the PC to the CAMM1 ... serial or parallel? I am pretty sure that model does not have USB. I was never successful in getting my CAMM1 PNC-1000 to "talk" properly to my PC using parallel and always used the serial connection. That beings said, any old serial cable WILL NOT WORK!!!! What you need is a null modem cable or the one that Roland used to sell as the XYRS-63 or -64. I had two, but unfortunately, they both went along with the CAMM1 in Feb. when I sold it. Perhpas a look around on eBay or Google will yield a positive result. And what Camn says is correct ... with the new XP drivers from Roland, it cuts perfectly fine direct from CorelDRAW ( I am using Vr.12) I tested my trusty old CAMM1 with this configuration before I put it on eBay, just to ensure that it really did work :)"

Sounds as though you are running thru the parallel port.

geb

I bought a Null modem adaptor from Radio Shack for $8. I plugged it in my serial port on cutter, attached the supplied cord to the null modem adaptor, and to the serial port on computer.

George

cdsgraphic

I will assume that your plotter is hooked up thru a serial port. If so try the following.

Goto the "control panel" and open the "system properties",
Click on the "hardware" tab" and then "device manager",
Scroll down thru until you find "ports" and expand that part of the tree,
double click the com port that your plotter is connected to,
this will open the port properties,
click on "port settings" then "advanced",
in the next window UNCHECK the box for "use FIFO buffers..."
click "ok" on all windows and reboot

try your plot again

I have to do this on one of my old plotters or it just plots garbage.

Here's a screen shot of everything above

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 211

cdsgraphic

goto radio shack or online and get a null modem adaptor or cable. A lot of your problem could be in trying to use the parrellel port.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

cdsgraphic said:
A lot of your problem could be in trying to use the parrellel port.
The replies have been 50/50 on that. Cadmn has his hooked up like mine & it works fine. It was, like I said, first time it even tried to work.

Cadmn

atlo was hoping to see a post where all was well that was a helluva a trip. as stated I do run Parallel & all is grand for me. nothing special in settings or anything Basically plug & cut you know bought cutter & became signmaker in about an hour LOL. I think you can get null modem cable at wally world thats where 1 pair of wires is twisted for special communication used to build adapters into laplink connectors so any serial would work kept one in my tech bag so at customer I could use laplink
I'll see about dling the manual tonight
cad

Tony Teveris

I hate to say it because I never do but did anyone "read the manual". I have never seen one or used it but many plotters come with internal setups that specify communications, plotter modes, etc.

Arlo did you ever get the manaul I send you ? Are you plotting from Omega?

Also, I belive many Roland plotters come with a Windows Driver which makes the plotter look something like a printer. Omega does NOT use this driver, it generates Roland plotter commands and communicates with the plotter directly. You could use the windows driver from Omega's Composer but I'm not sure what kind of output you would get.

Where's Old Paint the "MASTER OF COREL" (that is version 7) when you need him.

7oaks

If you cut directly from Corel, you need to add a hairline outline to cut. I didn't read every post in case this was already mentioned.

OldPaint

i dont know crap about hookin computer serial port and corel you must be tryin to hookup a mac...
all i know is i been cuttin from corel draw to ROLAND PLOTTERS since 1993 and have NEVER HAD THE PROBLEM YOU SPEAK OF.
1. roland and corel use HPGL to communicate.
2. corel works better thru its print mode rather then a COMM PORT.(as far as i know it wont work, never messed with or tryed it)
3.PARALLE/PRINTER CABLE is the best connection, all ive ever used and my cable is the same one i had in 1993!!!!
4. am asuming youre PNC-950 IS A 24" model.
5. HAIR LINE is needed for plotter to work. some versions of corel say .0001 or .0003, or HAIRLINE.
6. does the machine to a proper TEST CUT?
7.if you get to frustrated ....ill give $200 for the plotter.
8. if youre using XP OS then you gota be corel 10 or above,
iam sure 7-9 will work but newer is better.
9.proper driver for xp/roland/corel is DO29270J if you dont have i can email it to you.
10. dump the GOOBER STUF!!! hahahahahaha\

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Tony Teveris said:
Arlo did you ever get the manaul I send you ? Are you plotting from Omega?

Also, I belive many Roland plotters come with a Windows Driver which makes the plotter look something like a printer. Omega does NOT use this driver, it generates Roland plotter commands and communicates with the plotter directly. You could use the windows driver from Omega's Composer but I'm not sure what kind of output you would get..

Yep... got everything ya suggested, & have tried everyone's suggestions so far w/exception of using null modem cable and/or Corel.

When I select the Roland in Device Select, the Query button becomes active, but is greyed out when I select Gerber plotter. Possibly tho, the modem cable will communicate correctly and I can continue to live happily/exclusively in Omega and nothing else. Have WinXP drivers for the Roland installed as well. Looking more & more like I need that cable & then I'll be able to utilize my scraps from Gerber plotter on the Roland.

greeter896

Interface Question

If you are going to use the serial interface (Except USB) you aslo have to pay attention to Baud Rate and Word Stucture ie 9600 Baud 8n1 = 8 Data Bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. The Com ports on the cutter and pc must match with regards to this setting. As far as a serial cable I am not sure which one is needed for this device.

Regards,

Gary

Cadmn

arlo did it ever get done with its cryptic junk? You could pop over here with it & probably plug right up & use the 960 driver in corel My lappy has corel guess I could pop in with it, when I got a chance , momma going to second monday 5p-1a, OP we set the hairline in freehand to .001 & got them to talk but it cut single lins garbage but at least it tried to cut

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Tony T... don't stop now! we're close....

Tony Teveris said:
I hate to say it because I never do but did anyone "read the manual".
You could use the windows driver from Omega's Composer but I'm not sure what kind of output you would get.

Yo TonyTeverisMeister... hopefully ya saw my comments yesterday also ab. your post & the "Query" button becoming active in Device Select when I click on the Roland but not the GS15Plus?

& do ya think the special null modem cable might be the solution to Omega cutting via the Roland? (I looked at my Gerber plotter cable - only 3 pins - so I thought the cable mebbe had lots to do with this).

OldPaint

HEY.....DOES THE PLOTTER DO A TEST CUT, WITHOUT THE PROBLEM? if it wont do that then no matter how you hookit up ...it wont work!!!!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

OldPaint said:
HEY.....DOES THE PLOTTER DO A TEST CUT, WITHOUT THE PROBLEM? if it wont do that then no matter how you hookit up ...it wont work!!!!
It would do a test cut from day 1. See, even tho dang thing is "old", they bought it new & only used it a few weeks before giving up & storing it... so, I'd think it's gotta work eventually.

OldPaint

ok then youre GOOBER stuff is COMM PORT CONNECTED.
you would be way ahead of the problem if you just got a PRINTER CABLE, hooked it to youre LPT-1 port, and connect that to the roland, and cut direct from corel to roland and if you wana use youre goober softwear/plotter it can work off the COMM PORT! simple

Arlo Kalon 2.0

OldPaint said:
ok then youre GOOBER stuff is COMM PORT CONNECTED.

Where's the "hehehehehehe"... it is REALLY missing here.

I'm about ready to set it (Roland) up on it's own computer with Corel & nuthin else, & with the LPT-1 printer cable like you & Cadmn do.