• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland sc-500 To be or not to be???

Oldoldoldman

I can buy a Roland sc-500 for a $1000. It has been sitting for 6 months in a storage building with ink in it and I need to know how much and what needs to be done to get it working again. Also should I even consider this for in house use for our own signage? thank you - tom

rjssigns

Probably not worth it. Probably lookin' at heads, cap tops, dampers, lines, flush carts(60 bucks a pop) etc... Then you will have to pay a tech if you can't DIY. Adds up quick.

FatCat

Agreed. DX4 heads run about $800/ea and that thing has either 4 or 6 heads. Add in any add'l items and you could be looking at $5k or more just for parts, not including a trained tech to make it happen.

FatCat

Im not sure but I think it has 2 dx2 heads 3 color each and IM a diy er

Ah, you're probably right - I was thinking of the 545. The 500 is a very old machine - Roland's first solvent printer if I recall correctly. Not saying it can't be used, but did you check to see if that even has a heating element for running solvent ink? (I think I remember that was an optional feature - some of the better versed Roland guys might chime in with that info.) If so, you may have to add a heating system to it.

Still, if you want to print and not tinker, I would look for a more recent solvent printer.

Oldoldoldman

thank you, Im looking at it today for the first time. Its suppose to be a sc 500, I think the sj needed the heater to upgrade it.

Robert M

print heads

I don't think Roland even has heads for that now, you can put Mutoh falcon heads in it but that will cost you more then 1000.00.

anozira02

Thread: Roland sc-500 To be or not to be???

I have an SC-500 in my shop, I use it a lot.. I have converted it to eco solvent ink and installed heaters on it. You can run it without heaters as well, all the heater does it lets the ink penetrate into the vinyl and it will last a bit longer for outdoor printing. I seen these printers sell on Ebay as much as 7K.. for a small production shop it can be a good printer to have.

stix

if you decide on the heaters.. I have some parts pleae message me

I have an SC-500 in my shop, I use it a lot.. I have converted it to eco solvent ink and installed heaters on it. You can run it without heaters as well, all the heater does it lets the ink penetrate into the vinyl and it will last a bit longer for outdoor printing. I seen these printers sell on Ebay as much as 7K.. for a small production shop it can be a good printer to have.