• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sc-540/545 Contour-Cut out of wack with crop marks? Use this advice...

customsticker

After months and months of trying to get my contour cut to be even close to be dead on, I have comprised my experiences here. These are all experiences WITH printing, laminating and reloading with crop marks.

Some tips:
Make sure your media is reload to a similar position that it was loaded. I accomplished this by putting a peice of vinyl on the right hand side of the machine. I can ensure the feed is straight and I am reloading in the same position that it was loaded.

Turn the heat off when you cut. I haven't found this to be a huge factor, but the heat does cause the media to buckle and the blade can scrap the vinyl.

None of the user menus have any effect on the contour cuts. They are simply for the print/cut (one after another, no crop marks).

How to correct if all else fails: - In the service menu (call your tech if you don't know how to use the service menu) there are options that allow you to adjust the voltage on the crop mark detector. These volts should be at 2.3 volts, plus or minus .2. This must physically be adjusted with a screw driver within the service menu.

2nd way to correct - Much like the print/cut adjustment in the regular menus, within the service menu there is one specifically for the crop mark adjustments. These tweaks are very similar to the user menu.

It took me forever to find these adjustments, basically because I didn't think any existed. After flipping through the service manual, I found out how to pull it off.

My contour cuts are now better than ever and I no long have to send out decals that are over 1/16" off.

Hopefully this helps :thankyou:

ChicagoGraphics

I have a solution to all your problems your having..........
Buy a seperate cutter, printers with cutters built into them just dont make it

BobbyFosson

There are many adjustments that can be done, not only the sensor voltage, that will get the print/cut dead on... Other docs privy to dealers only are made available.... If your service tech can not get the print/cut right, they need to check the Service Docs available on Roland's dealer site for details... I just fixed a bad offset where the cut was perfect on the right side but 3/16" off on the left, and it took all of 10 minutes to complete.

Print/Cut machines are successful with the appropriate adjustments. There will always be pros and cons to both, print/cut hybrids and independent print/cut systems. I think it boils down to your shops production schedule, software options available or already in place and enduser knowledge. Let's not forget budget for all, printer/cutter hybrid with software and printer,cutter,common software.

pgettys

Same Boat

I am having some similiar issues and have used the service menu to adust the print andcut with eh crop marks but it seems to get worse the further the pages goes down

or into the print i should say

my roland tech says that it cannot not be fixed so it is perfect

i think it need to be manually adjusted and he/she doesn't know how to do it

i think i know more about them than they do sometimes
since they say they are the last to know from roland about everything.

Where should i go from here

customsticker

My tech is worthless. He is so new to the industry that he does nothing but follow a book and scratch my machine and strip bolts in the process. He knew nothing about a crop mark adjustment when I asked him - I had to figure it out on my own.

I have to take things into my own hands to fix my own issue, even when the machine is under warranty.

My cuts are still a tad off - what are these other adjustments that you speak of? Are they doable just like I made the other adjustments within the service menu?

BobbyFosson

The adjustments are doable in Service Mode only. As all of you know, as an authorized tech, I am not able to post procedures within service mode due to it being privileged information. Roland would crap the whip on my ass. I am happy to help but would require you to contact me directly.

This sounds pompous and full of BS but I am not going to get wrapped by Roland for posting the directions here when the original service tech should be taking care of business.

PM me and I will supply you with my contact information to assist further.

Second, report the dealer to Roland and let them know how you feel. That is the only way the service will get better. If not, contact another dealer for assistance.

customsticker

Option 3 - do it yourself :)

He is a nice guy, and I would hate to turn him in to Roland. He tries hard, but definitely doesn't do the job I need.

He's simply inexperienced in the field and is a few months out of Roland tech school. They JUST started carrying roland printers a couple months back. I was the first soljet they had sold.

He is the only tech in my area, I have no other choices :(

Techman

The first thing this tech should have done after he got back to his office is..

get out his book and learn how to set up contour cutting. This is not something that happens once in a while. Sheesh.

veloxgraphics

Sorry to bring this back from the grave... but does anyone have any more info on adjusting the cropmark voltage? I have the service manual... i followed it to the "T" Max voltage is now dead on at 2.5 (it was at 3.7!)

BUT, now instead of that fixing my contour cut offset when using cropmarks, it doesnt read cropmarks at all

If i increase the voltage, it works again. Are the numbers it should be set at wrong in the service manual?

Thanks!

Ragnabrok

yep, those aren't the right voltages, it should read 3.6V. the value does change based on ink density, media being used and the amount it dries. But on regular glossy or matte vinyl immediately after the mark is printed it should read 3.6V.