• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland sc-540 good bad ugly?

R08

Have a chance to purchase a used roland sc-540 for $5000. Includes RIP (not sure which). I currently have a Mutoh Outdoor 48 in rough condition.
(Canadian currency is at par right now but most printers cost a bit more here)

What do you think? Good price? I believe it may need one new head.

Thanks for all responses.

R08

Just in case I got the model wrong...Here is the pic from the sellar:

th-Vehicle-Wraps.jpg

Compilla

If you could get better pictures it will help.
Request a picture of a nozzle check and some printed samples.
Buying used equipment it is always a gamble.

R08

If you could get better pictures it will help.
Request a picture of a nozzle check and some printed samples.
Buying used equipment it is always a gamble.

Thanks for your answer Compilla,

Very good points. I have gotten many pictures and I know that one of the printheads is not firing at 100%. I have a relative that works at the company so I know for a fact that the machine has been in full-time production.

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

I guess I was wondering if it's worth it. I'd love to hear from anyone who has one. I tried a search but not much came up.

Thx

Compilla

If it needs a new head, a new head it is only $934.00

For a couple thousand more you could get a new Mutoh VJ-1204
with warranty

R08

You can get a new Mutoh VJ-1204 for $7000? Wow... and the Canadian dollar is close to par with U$. Although Canadian dealers will usually sell for more to bring it into the country.

But I am really sold on printing and cutting on the same machine. I have a small shop and space is at a premium. I also hate the 48" limit since all my suppliers don't sell that size of media.
My mutoh outdoor has been good to me but she's getting tired (and I'm tired of fixing her)

thx

sfr table hockey

I am not sure but is there a sc 540 (just printer) or is that for sure a printer/cutter?

If it's a print and cut you can't go wrong for $6000 to get it printing correct. To get things shipped up here you can add close to $1000 by the time its here.

R08

I am not sure but is there a sc 540 (just printer) or is that for sure a printer/cutter?

If it's a print and cut you can't go wrong for $6000 to get it printing correct. To get things shipped up here you can add close to $1000 by the time its here.

I here ya. It's still going to cost me shipping since it's coming from far enought away.

This machine is a printer-cutter for sure. That's one of the reasons I want it.

thx

TorturdChaos

We have a SP-540v Printer and I am very happy with it. Puts out great quality prints.
We use it for printing banners, stickers, vinyl for sign apps, printing posters or just cutting vinyl. Does a good job with it all.

But I do have to say I have never used anything else, so I don't have anything to compare it too other than our POS HP plotter that is older than I am :p.

GTSTech_1

Along with the test prints as suggested by Compila, I would get a history report from the printer....alot of info on that (head shot, pump times, etc). Head should last up to 6 billion shots.

The rip that came with the printer is ColorRip (it's a close cousin to Wasatch)....you can use Versaworks, if you purchase the license ($1000).

My .02

GTSTech_1

GTSTech_1

VersaWorks in my opinion is better when compared to ColorRip. I don't think Roland even updates ColorRip any longer, I know I haven't updated a ColorRip in 2 years.

What Rip/Desiging program are you using for your Falcon?

GTSTech_1

R08

I'm using the photoprint 4 that came with it. It's a dog but it works.
But it won't work with roland.

So I just got off the phone with the seller and apparently it's coming with Flexi 7.0

VersaWorks in my opinion is better when compared to ColorRip. I don't think Roland even updates ColorRip any longer, I know I haven't updated a ColorRip in 2 years.

What Rip/Desiging program are you using for your Falcon?

GTSTech_1

GTSTech_1

You might want to upgrade that flexi 7.0 to the 8.6. With 8.6 you can use the "Roland Color System Library".

Sai revamped/redesigned the engine that drives the color output on the 8.5 (8.6). Another great feature of 8.6, if you had versaworks, would be the ability to send you file directly to versaworks from Flexi without having to export/save file then import to versaworks (less storage on your harddrive).

Enjoy your new (to you) printer.

GTSTech_1

R08

Thanks GTSTech,
I probably will continue designing in Corel.
So I guess what's the use in upgrading flexi if I buy versaworks. A quick search suggests to me it's the preferred rip.
Or am I missing something?

Vinyldog

Staying with Canadian

You might also consider the Versaworks edition of Sign-lab. It prints directly to VW. It also uses the Roland color library and can add the contour-cut line to vector or Bitmap images. The Gimp photo editor is also handy.
Concerning the printer, I hope your not confusing the sC-540 with the sP-540.