• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SJ-740

Samy98

Hello
I'm planing to buy Roland SJ-740 (Used one) to start my sign business
As I'm a new to sign business, could you please advice any tips will be great
regarding this printer

Thank you

inkmed

Roland SJ740

Roland SJ 740 is a old printer.
But it is a good printer that is why it was popular for many years.

You can find the spare parts and ink for it, price is not high.
But, you are new in sign business, it maybe a problem.
You have to find a local printer service company to maintenance your printer, because it is used one without after service.

Good Luck.

Adam from Inkmed

Samy98

Sj_740

Thank you for your response
Absolutely this printer is old but for the price $7 000.00 i guess is worth it
(I'am just guessing as i am new to this business)
As far as i know this printer uses ECO solvent ink,please advice if i am wrong

Thank you again for your help

Samy

cdiesel

Sounds like a decent price, but make sure you have someone who can service it for you.

We have a 74" Roland also and have found that there are some static issues unless you keep the humidity high--50%-60%.

Samy98

Hello,
Witch ink are you using on this printer is it sublimation or Solvent INK

As far as i know if you use a sublimation INK (Water based) you can change it to solvent ink after flushing all the water based ink from the heads and replace it with Solvent.But if you start the printer using Solvent there is no way to use a sublimation ink (water based) unless you change all the heads pipes and pumps.
Please correct if i 'am wrong

Samy

Ragnabrok

You can switch from one to another ink type, if cleaned properly. Non-solvent ink will dry solvent ink quite quickly, so if there is any left in the lines, dampers or heads, should the 2 mix it'll cause problems.

JR Digital

Its a damn good printer. I still use mine. Literally Printed hundreds of thousands of sq ft on it over the years. Just keep it clean and serviced and it won't be a problem.

Samy98

Sj_740

JR Degital:
Witch ink are you using? is it a solvent or a sublimation ink (water based)
Thank you

Samy

inkmed

Roland SJ means solvent jet
this printer original ink is eco solvent ink.
switch water based printer to solvent printer, you need change all the parts contact ink include printer head, damper, wiper, pump...
switch solvent printer to water based printer, did not need change any part. just clear the printer out and out.

Adam from Inkmed

artbot

i kinda disagree with the switch chemistry. i think before changing so many parts. a different regimen should be approached. yes, the ketones in the ink, if coming in contact with water, will seize up the solvent ink pigments. but why not run run pure glycol ether for a few days in the machine. glycol ether is both miscible in water and ketones (water is a solvent). this will create a chemical bridge between the two inks. glycol ethers are in both the water and solvent base inks. you just need to get the ketones out first.

Samy98

Hello
To:inkmed
In my understanding is other way around
Roland sj-740 is designed to be a solvent ink and it comes dry (With out INK on It)
Now if you start the printer using Water base it's easy to change it to solvent as water based ink doesn't stuck in the pipes and print heads, you may need to flush it twice)
If you start the printer with solvent INK witch is harder to remove from the pipes and print head in this case it would be impossible to switch the ink from solvent to water based.
Please please correct me if i 'am wrong

Samy