• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP300v recent purchase, can it run on Windows 10?

Msrae

Rae
Hello fellow signs 101 people.

I have been in the sign biz on and off for several years. My last printer, however, was the old dinosaur Roland Eco-sol 54" VersaCam. I kept it alive for a long time but finally gave up on it about 7 years ago. I have been doing almost all of my printing needs through a third party.

I recently came across an older SP300v and purchased it locally. The seller wasn't completely honest with me and told me it was only 9 years old and parts and software were still readily available. He also told me the VersaWorks software was a free download. However, I am finding that the free download is not available.

Anyhow, to the question:

I am running Windows 10 on my computer. Can I successfully run the SP300v series on windows 10 with the old version or will I need to install Windows 7 and run it specifically through that?

I have ordered the older version VersaWorks CD through Roland DGA (DISK,CD RSP-040 VERSAWORKS WIN / VER. 5.50). I noticed the VerwaWorks dual and 6 were both not compatible with the 300v series) and am hoping to have it arrive soon but thought I would start here and see if I also need to work on getting the Win7 install going.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to "upgrade" an older SP300v to an SP300i? May sound like an odd question, but thought it might be worth asking since the 300i seems to be compatible with newer software.

Thank you in advance for any advice or guidance in getting this old beauty running.

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It will run fine on Windows 10. Just make sure you run it in Administrator mode as the cut function doesn't work unless you do for some reason.

Joe House

Solventinkjet, Are you talking about running Versaworks as admin? Or installing the driver as admin? The problem that I see is that the SP300v connects as a USB device, not a network device and the USB driver is not compatible with Win10.

Joe House

From Roland's website:
upload_2020-8-10_11-26-10.png

Msrae

Rae
Yes running VersaWorks in admin mode. I don't even install the USB driver. I just install VersaWorks, add the printer, and go.

Good to know. I'll try going without the driver first and see how that works.

I know the upgrade to Win10 killed my ability to use old graphtec cutter. I was pretty upset when my computer did the auto upgrade on me. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and get newer machines, but I honestly don't do a huge business, small regular clients is mostly my thing, so the old machines tend to do fine for me.

Thank you all again for the feedback. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it works when I get the CD.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Rae
i misindertood
i thought you bought a new machine
i am up to speed now
lets append my suggestion

if it has NOT been 30 days, you can revert to windows 7
adter reversion you can virtualize save ile on an external hard drive
then upgrade again to windows 10. (better than 1/2 day work, but youhave not spent any money yet. i will loan you an external drive so you can accomplish this

is your computer powerful enough to run windows 10 to your satisfaction?

not sure what your situation is,
is the priority finding a ggod piece of software?
i am sure there are several choices
or is funding tight & does my idea make sense ?

Msrae

Rae
Rae
i misindertood
i thought you bought a new machine
i am up to speed now
lets append my suggestion

if it has NOT been 30 days, you can revert to windows 7 -adter reversion you can virtualize save ile on an external hard drive
then upgrade again to windows 10. (better than 1/2 day work, but youhave not spent any money yet. i will loan you an external drive so you can accomplish this

is your computer powerful enough to run windows 10 to your satisfaction?

not sure what your situation is,
is the priority finding a ggod piece of software?
i am sure there are several choices
or is funding tight & does my idea make sense ?

Hi Netsol,

Maybe we are both a little confused.

I did purchase a new printer (only new to me, the printer itself is apparently 13 years old and has no support). According to what I am seeing on the Roland site, Windows 10 is not 'compatible' with the SP300V printer. I did order the older version of the VersaWorks software (DISK,CD RSP-040 VERSAWORKS WIN / VER. 5.50) which said it will work for the SP300v. What I am trying to decide is if I will have to install windows 7 on a computer just to run the printer (driver), or if I will be able to make the printer work with ver 5.50 Versaworks and Windows 10. I haven't been running Windows 7 for about 3 years now. I was just reaching out to see if any of the people that currently run the old SP300V printer have been successful at running it with Windows 10. I have read conflicting answers in my searches and I know the people on here are extremely knowledgable. :)

Thank you for your help!

Rae

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I keep seeing Run as Admin being recommended....don't you mean you should adjust the settings to run in Compatibility Mode for whichever back version you want?

Attachments

• compat.jpg
    compat.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 414

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I keep seeing Run as Admin being recommended....don't you mean you should adjust the settings to run in Compatibility Mode for whichever back version you want?

Comparability mode can help with software issues but if you check the "Run as Admin" box below those options, it will open as admin all the time. If you don't, the program doesn't recognize the CutContour spot color.

amw

We have a SP300v and windows 10 with versaworks 5.5...has always worked perfectly. No issues.

Msrae

Rae
Just an update, I got the 5.5 versaworks disc and it is running just fine with Windows 10. Guess all the things I had heard about it being incompatible weren't accurate! It has no problem recognizing the CutContour line either.

Thank you all for your help.

Rae

Ali786

We have a SP300v and windows 10 with versaworks 5.5...has always worked perfectly. No issues.
Hello Mine connects but keeps saying in versa works that the ink is not supported update versaworks. When I press verify in the USB selection.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Getting Versaworks working with Windows 10 was a headache for me. So I run Versaworks 5.5 on a Windows 7 computer