• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VersCAMM SP-300i Carriage Separation

Grafaig

Hello all, I recently experienced this error and was able to reset the printer based on the instructions in the manual for clearing this error. When I did a test print after, the magenta head produced a solid line across the test area. I cleaned the heads, reseated all the cables, checked for ink on the encoder strip and then redid a test print. The magenta head now works but now produces very thin lines when printing anything, even if magenta if not used at the moment. I am attaching some pictures so you can see the before and after results.

Does anyone have any further suggestions beyond what I have already done? Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_3529 2.JPG
    IMG_3529 2.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3531 2.JPG
    IMG_3531 2.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3534.JPG
    IMG_3534.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 95

Grafaig

Not sure what a 3001 unit is, but did ya reboot the whole setup ??
I have which is why it has been much improved, but just trying to clean up that last little bit of Magenta for clean images once again.

Oh the unit is a VersaCAMM SP-300i, the one is a typo but don't know if I can edit the title.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Bad encoder strips can do some weird things that don't seem to make sense so it's worth a shot for sure. In my experience that magenta streak is usually caused by an electrical issue though. Could be bad head cables, trailing cables or a bad head. Rarely it's a damaged main board but that's a possibility as well. I'd start with cleaning the strip and then check your head cables for damage, ink splatter or anything else that could cause a short.

Grafaig

Bad encoder strips can do some weird things that don't seem to make sense so it's worth a shot for sure. In my experience that magenta streak is usually caused by an electrical issue though. Could be bad head cables, trailing cables or a bad head. Rarely it's a damaged main board but that's a possibility as well. I'd start with cleaning the strip and then check your head cables for damage, ink splatter or anything else that could cause a short.
Thanks, will clean the encoder strip. The head may have suffered a head strike as the separation error occurred due to the vinyl folding at the edge but based on how much it has cleaned up since the first pic, I am not leaning towards head damage - yet....
Forgot to add, what's the best thing for cleaning the encoder strip?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've gotten head/carriage separation errors over the years. Just restarting it always did the trick for us. Since you're not printing anything much tougher than vinyl or banner material, I hardly doubt you did damage to a head, although it is some sort of impact. The encoder strip for us, creates a stepping kinda print if it's dirty. I'd check all your connections of cables and ethernet connections and make sure you're getting a good signal.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks, will clean the encoder strip. The head may have suffered a head strike as the separation error occurred due to the vinyl folding at the edge but based on how much it has cleaned up since the first pic, I am not leaning towards head damage - yet....
Forgot to add, what's the best thing for cleaning the encoder strip?
I've used 70% alcohol for years but a another tech on here suggested I only use 90% as the 70% has too much water which can cause issues. I think you'd be ok with either but if you can get 90% use that.

Grafaig

I've used 70% alcohol for years but a another tech on here suggested I only use 90% as the 70% has too much water which can cause issues. I think you'd be ok with either but if you can get 90% use that.
Thanks! As an E-Tech, I always have high strength alcohol on hand, some for cleaning, some for drinking lol. :)

Grafaig

We've gotten head/carriage separation errors over the years. Just restarting it always did the trick for us. Since you're not printing anything much tougher than vinyl or banner material, I hardly doubt you did damage to a head, although it is some sort of impact. The encoder strip for us, creates a stepping kinda print if it's dirty. I'd check all your connections of cables and ethernet connections and make sure you're getting a good signal.
Thanks - will check that out.

Grafaig

UPDATE - all cables checked out, damper replaced in case of leaking o-ring as there appeared to be magenta ink sitting in the head well where you plug the damper into, encoder strip removed and cleaned, heads cleaned, but the longer it sits, the worse the lines become. Definitely a pattern as to the areas where it prints, and not just random. Photo shows what happens after I run the first test print after assembling everything back together. Subsequent test prints still shows very faint lines, but definitely the first print is no good. Bizarre.

Attachments

• IMG_3538.JPG
    IMG_3538.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 81

netsol

for what it's worth, i often change what i call the cut carriage ribbon (12 conductor) when i start getting the carriage seperation error. those cables go intermittent long before they fail & cause several other problems.
since i replaced the cable (IT REALLY FAILED) on my sc545-ex, i haven't had occasion to clean my encoder strip. i wasn't getting magenta streaks, but every now and then straight vertical lines would have a "wave" in them

Grafaig

for what it's worth, i often change what i call the cut carriage ribbon (12 conductor) when i start getting the carriage seperation error. those cables go intermittent long before they fail & cause several other problems.
since i replaced the cable (IT REALLY FAILED) on my sc545-ex, i haven't had occasion to clean my encoder strip. i wasn't getting magenta streaks, but every now and then straight vertical lines would have a "wave" in them
The issue started after the carriage hit the edge of the vinyl which must have had a ridge or something which the carriage caught. Ever since then, the magenta head has not been playing nice. I have physically removed the head and inspected it, and I don't see any signs of damage, but that doesn't mean it isn't, and I certainly hope it isn't. Really can't afford a new head at this point in time.

Grafaig

Ok, I think I may have figured it out but too long a day, so will check my theory tomorrow.

The printer was given to me as the previous owner was no longer printing and he said the Y/M didn't print so if I could get it working or new head, or, well he would give me the printer. After a long period of troubleshooting when I first received the printer, the Y/M was definitely not printing, but it turned out the Y/M head had a clogged drain line preventing the pump from syphoning ink into the dampers. These lines were cleaned as a temp fix and I never got around to replacing the lines. Checked again, M was leaking so reseated o-rings, and attached lines. Test print showed M was tinting the Y line a bit, but then both colours started to drop out and now both the Y/M is not printing, so most likely my clogged drain line has reared up again.

I did swap the head cables as if it was an electrical issue, then the problem should follow the cables and affect the alternate head, which was not the case as I had M streaking again due to the ink leaking.

Once I get a new drain line installed, will let you guys know if that solves it - thanks everyone!