• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roller banding

Print-Kwik

I have a VJ1204 and see this same thing every morning when I start printing. I think is has to do with material temperature. When I can I just print the lighter colors first.

P

ProWraps™

whatever it is, it is causing evenly spaced marks. that tells me its something on one part of the roller. since its hapening on multiple rollers, all at the same evenly spaced marks, it would lead me to the flat roller theory. if you had something on the rollers, i dont think it would leave evenly spaced lines, the length of each roller. it would leave spots. something is being caused by the entire length of the roller, at one point on the roller, on each roller. error check it from there.

some questions that i would ask myself.
1. why are the marks evenly spaced?
2. why are they the length of the roller?
3. why are they on all the rollers?

your rollers are a million times cleaner than mine. and this never happens on my mutoh.
ill let you figure it out from there.

jiarby

I spent some time on the phone with RandyA (from Mutoh) on Friday...

He REALLY believes the plasticizer theory..that the rollers are transferring schmuck to the vinyl that affects the ink adhesion in that area.

The flat roller theory has a problem...
It fades away as the print gets longer. If the rollers were flat on one side they whould STAY that way no matter how long the print.

some questions that i would ask myself.
1. why are the marks evenly spaced?
A. Maybe roller has picked up some contaminate on just one section of the rollers.
2. why are they the length of the roller?
A. Contamination happened when the rollers were in contact with a roll.
3. why are they on all the rollers?
A. Whatever affected them was on a large roll running the whole length.

Randy says to clean the rollers with denatured alcohol, and also wipe the first few feet of the substrate and let them all dry nicely.

I haven't done that yet, but will let you know.

PMG

The flat roller theory has a problem...
It fades away as the print gets longer. If the rollers were flat on one side they whould STAY that way no matter how long the print.
UN true....I have ran into this before...........It fades away because the rubber rollers have pressure and heat on it and the roller is rolling its self back into shape after few minutes of running. When your not printing leave the rollers up and the media wrapped up and put away. I bet you see a improvement

P

ProWraps™

UN true....I have ran into this before...........It fades away because the rubber rollers have pressure and heat on it and the roller is rolling its self back into shape after few minutes of running. When your not printing leave the rollers up and the media wrapped up and put away. I bet you see a improvement

my exact thoughts. the rollers are rubber, not metal. once they start to roll, and have heat on them, with the pressure, they will reshape. i hate to say it, but im pretty sure your rollers are flattening.

your marks are symetrical, and the length of the roller. you would have to have plasticzer the length of the roller, ONLY ON ONE LINE of each roller for that theory to prevail.... you have lines evenly spaced, not long tracks. think about it....

jiarby

yeah, this makes sense...

the rubber rollers are flattening, but after a bit of heat and rolling around they smooth out!

Sounds like a winner.

Randy will not be heppy!

P

ProWraps™

do you bring your heaters up to temp before you print? we do. that may be why ours dont do that. it may soften our rollers before it starts. we leave our rollers down. never up.. just a thought.

also, one last thing about the plasticizer.. its in the material, not a moist liquid on the top. its not coming off. not on a rubber roller anyways. sorry, but theres no way.

jiarby

The printer does a "warm up" before printing... we have never done a manual heat up before doing a print. Maybe a .25" cheater file ahead of time will get it preheated?? sounds kinda bas-ackwards

randya

yeah, this makes sense...

the rubber rollers are flattening, but after a bit of heat and rolling around they smooth out!

Sounds like a winner.

Randy will not be heppy!

To the contrary, if it really is some cold flat spot, warm ok, it would be nice to know because the fix is easy...pre-warm...

It does not sound unreasonable, and easy to test.

randya

There are a couple of approaches to evaluate this.

1. Right after your last print, raise the lever and leave it up over night.
Check the next day and see if you have the roller band issue. This assumes that the rollers are soft from being warm and 'round' from printing, and cools down in a non-flattening manner.
2. Run a job on some scrap media to warm up the platen and rollers. You could also look at different Pre heat and Platen temps.
IF this roller marking occurs longer in cooler pre heat and platen temps and shorter in the high pre heat and platen temps, then that could verify the theory.

What is the environmental conditions of your print area? Is is cold?

B Snyder

you don't need to run a job. just load in some scrap vinyl and slew it back a few feet a couple times. Should be more than enough movement to round out the rollers.