• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roller marks in print

scott pagan

i have searched and tested a few of the suggestions on this forum on how to resolve the pinch roller marks that suddenly are appearing in my prints. some suggest to raise heat settings, others say lower heat. i have the pre about 5 degrees lower than print. cleaning the rollers makes no difference, i still see the 'tracks'. on a navy blue fill, the tracking marks are darker. width and pattern is obviously from the pinch rollers, with small gaps.

on this project using Avery MPI 1005 EZ-RS SuperCast heat is 40c pre/ 45c print/ 65c post.

any suggestions on how to troubleshoot next?

rjssigns

We leave the middle pinch rollers out on our Roland if it has to roll back over the print because of contour cutting. Not scientific, just simple.

scott pagan

talked to a few others and they agreed my preheat was too high. i've lowered the temps yet still have an issue with pinch roller tracks on this media. i tested a different media and still see the tracks on it as well :(

2 different people said to go 32-35/32-35/50-55, while another said 45/45/45. none have worked so far.

Last edited:

thewood

We leave the middle pinch rollers out on our Roland if it has to roll back over the print because of contour cutting. Not scientific, just simple.

I'm not certain what model Mimaki the OP is running, but I'm pretty sure leaving out certain rollers is not an option on Mimakis. You can't raise or lower certain pinch rollers independently of the others.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
are these marks indentations of the rollers or actual ink marks?
SuperCast is very thin so hard to eliminate indentations....luckily on the Roland you can move the inner rollers away..don't know about Mimaki.

Out There

On my CJV30 I can set any of the rollers to high, medium, low or no pressure at all.

Also, I only get roller marks when it sits in one spot too long( in between print jobs) while the heaters are going.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
On our JV33 I have noticed we get initial roller marks where the rollers have sat for a period of time (not when they are rolling). Strangely enough only on oracal 3751ra. It doesn't occur on 180c.

If it is a JV33 (60 inch) there are 20 sets of rollers and each have 2 wheels. They cannot be removed like the print/cut machines.

HeySteve

I am experiencing the same (frustrating) problem on my JV33...on Oracal 3651 clear vinyl. Tried cleaning the rollers, tried various heat settings - no help. This is a recent development...

bojan

3651 is cheap material .. if u do not cut after print on ur printer then u can set all pinch to LOW only left and rigt to high...

Hi temp in preheating and u get problems ....

Low temp in preee heat and Vacum u can put standard or little weak :) ( mimaki translate to ENG..)

projectneon

i get this on a regular basis with my jv33, the way i fixed it was leave rollers open only until you need to send your print, my temps are 36 45 36 and the media seemed to be around 80% of the cause, we use a revolution air flow from a company called hvg, not to sure if they have that brand any where else? but i get no issues with that media, most 3m medias i have issues with

Paint the Town

I've recently been moved to operate our company's LFP, we also have a Mimaki JV33-160. I'm still kind of a newbie with it, but this message board has been a key element in gathering ideas on diagnoses, which I'm very grateful for.

I have a similar issue going on as well, where there are roller marks in certain colors, but not all of them. Mostly reds and navy blues. I have lowered the temp, assuming maybe some colors react differently to heat settings than others.

Out of curiosity, are there certain materials that may leave a residue on the rollers? We've been running a lot of Photo-Tex from Fellers and Graphi-Tex from General Formulations. Has anybody ran into an issue with either of these materials? If so, is there a safe way of cleaning the roller wheels to clear any residue build-up? I've tried rubbing alcohol and that's gotten a little bit up, but I wanted consultation before I potentially do more damage than good.

Thanks everybody! Keep up the good work!

~ Justin

anotherdog

In 5 years I don't think I have had to clean my rollers or any residue more than an annual spring clean.

Unless there is registration issues with print/cut I run with just the side rollers on adhesive. I notice marks more on things with an air release like 3M 180, but it doesn't change colors. (roland).

When I print/cut I have lam on that protects the image so I can run with full rollers.

Signed Out

We have expierenced this as well with our roland xj 540. Only seems to happen for the first few inches of the print if the media has been sitting in the same position for a few minutes with the heaters on, such as inbetween prints. Our fix is to rip the next file, once ripped feed out about 6 inces of media then hit print immediatley. I think what is happening is the pre heat isn't supposed to get the media up to print heat, but if the media sits there then the pre heat gets the media too hot before it goes through the rollers, thus allowing the rollers to distort the media before it is printed on. Seems to happen more easily with thinner medias. our heat settings are usually 42,48,53.

MikeD

middle rollers

the heat is probably the cause on certain materials. However, you can raise the middle rollers on a Mimaki by removing the springs in the back and using adhesive tape to then hold them in the "up" position.
Good Luck!

MikeD

I forgot to mention that you will need to set your vacuum to high on the Mimaki if you are going to raise the rollers. The Roland's rollers are slightly conical, so the can push down and out to hold the media flat.

j6

Roller marks Mimaki JV33

I haven't seen any answer on what actually cured your problem. I am experiencing the same problem at this time.