• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rookie signmaker, or customer directed?

artsnletters

So how about y'all; if a customer came to you and said that this is exactly what he/she wanted, would you do it? If your answer is "yes" (because of the money), would the fact that your name would be associated with the work (in future conversations that the owner would undoubtedly have with others) not bother you?
Not a chance.....can i get a Hellllllllllllllll Nooooooooooo! I'd tell the customer that there really is NO where that much copy is appropriate...maybe....and maybe the phone book (but who uses them anyway)......less is more. I also like the crooked stuff on the side windows. Just a stellar job (and lesson) on how NOT to letter a vehicle.....
Tim

Colin

Not a chance.....can i get a Hellllllllllllllll Nooooooooooo! I'd tell the customer that there really is NO where that much copy is appropriate...maybe....and maybe the phone book (but who uses them anyway)......less is more. I also like the crooked stuff on the side windows. Just a stellar job (and lesson) on how NOT to letter a vehicle.....
Tim

So, if he insisted, you would refuse to do the job?

JasperST

I would. In fact I turned down a 25 year customer recently since their office gal thought she was a designer. I explained that if we did the job, someone may think we designed it. Haven't heard from them since.

Colin

I would. In fact I turned down a 25 year customer recently since their office gal thought she was a designer. I explained that if we did the job, someone may think we designed it. Haven't heard from them since.

Yes, it is interesting to notice now-a-days how easily and quickly people get offended even by constructive and experienced criticism of their "artwork". I'm noticing this more & more, and find it maddening. Topic for another thread.

Last edited:

artsnletters

not a snowballs chance in hell would i want to be associated with that POS eyesore in any capacity....I wouldn't put their van on a business card if they wanted that either. That is the antithesis to all i've learned about layout, signs and business in general. I would do it right or not at all. If the customer couldn't understand that, i'd explain it like this: Well, i've been doing signs and lettering since 1991 (BC) and here are some examples of my work.....(lookie here)....This is my idea of effective vehicle lettering (showing example)....one DOES NOT have to fill a visual space with something just because it's there. Less is more. Prioritize your copy for maximum effectiveness and contrast. Edit copy to a manageable level. If said customer can't catch my drift....theres the door. Fortunately, most customers can relate....because this is what I do. If i need professional plumbing i call a plumber....

Really. Even in this crappy economy. Sorry for the long reply.
Tim

Jillbeans

And if this gem were posted on someone's portfolio on another sign forum, there would be a lot of virtual high fives and "Good Jaaaab"s!

andy

I utterly disagree.

All customers have their own idea of what good taste is.... taste always has been and always will be PERSONAL to each individual.

If my customers want me to design something for me they will ask... if they provide their own design I just make the damn thing. I'm not going to start waffling on about design cues and colour wheels.... if the customer was remotely interested in my opinions they'd have asked already. I've been given a specification and I'm being paid to follow it..... what's the point in over complicating matters?

If you want to get on with your mates you don't go round telling them how ugly you think their kids are or how fat you think their wife has gotten.... if you want people to spend money with you it's probably best not to march around like some kind of design Nazi.

Baz

I like Andy's take on it. I myself would not have lettered that van like it is ... but probably would've tried to sell him a wrap with all that crap as background "fodder" (<- is that the right term?). I definately would not have done the words in black .. more like a light grey. I would have tried to educate my customer a little bit and try to direct him to look a little more professional.

But i would take his money!

JasperST

I utterly disagree.

All customers have their own idea of what good taste is.... taste always has been and always will be PERSONAL to each individual.

If my customers want me to design something for me they will ask... if they provide their own design I just make the damn thing. I'm not going to start waffling on about design cues and colour wheels.... if the customer was remotely interested in my opinions they'd have asked already. I've been given a specification and I'm being paid to follow it..... what's the point in over complicating matters?

If you want to get on with your mates you don't go round telling them how ugly you think their kids are or how fat you think their wife has gotten.... if you want people to spend money with you it's probably best not to march around like some kind of design Nazi.
Judging other people's work is how we judge our own, we don't operate in a vacuum. If one sets out to produce quality work, that's how they go about setting themselves apart from the lower quality work.

Now if you are only producing work by the pound, no pun intended, it's a different matter. You will quickly get that reputation and it will probably never go away. That's fine if that's where you want to be at, not everyone wants to be there. I'd personally rather clean toilets than produce crappy work (pun intended).

artsnletters

I utterly disagree.

Do you go to the mechanic, architect, or even doctor (insert SKILLED TRADESMAN HERE), and dictate how technically a job should be done? Or do you leave it up to his/her professional abilities and let them direct the way to a successful job. Since the van owner OBVIOUSLY doesn't do signs or graphics, as they certainly would have included it, as they included EVERYTHING ELSE, maybe the end vinyl application technician was just an order taker. Cause when i need a plumbing job, i call a plumber, as the only thing i know about plumbing is "always wash your hands before lunch" and "shit always rolls down hill". Most plumbers don't know shit about signage or vehicle lettering either so i figure that makes us even. We're supposed to be pros and advise our customers on such things, even (or especially) when it will look like shit, not be order takers.
Tim

Colin

Do you go to the mechanic, architect, or even doctor (insert SKILLED TRADESMAN HERE), and dictate how technically a job should be done? Or do you leave it up to his/her professional abilities and let them direct the way to a successful job.

I've been using that analogy for years. The arguement that often follows is: "Yes, but there may be dire consequences if a house doesn't get wired properly, not so with signs!" And this is where I disagree; if one's business never gets off the ground, or fails altogether due to the disasterous signage, is that a minor thing?

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
We would sketch it as the client specs and a sketch of a professional design.
Try to educate them and let them pick. Do the job and cash the check.
If it is a poor choice we just happen to not mark the job.

As much as we enjoy the craft it is still about the cash.

:beer

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm thinking that link to the 50 free fonts Jon A posted the other day would come in real handy in a layout like this.
You could use them all at one time......

wayne k
guam usa