• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing sandwiched Arcylic and ACM

BabooDIG

Hey team. Wondering if anyone has any tooling they’d recommend for cutting 3mm or 6mm acrylic that been mounted to 3mm dibond. We are running a zund g3. This combo seems to burn through bits like crazy.

Christian @ 2CT Media

It will burn through bits, you have 3 different densities, resonances, and friction coefficients. There probably isn't a miracle bit for this but I would think a spektra coated bit would work well for this.

tulsagraphics

Interesting. I'm not a CNC guy (I only use an EGX on occasion for ADA), but could you run it with multiple passes using 2 different bits -- 1 for acrylic, and 1 for aluminum?

Superior_Adam

your not going to get good results using 1 bit and trying to do it all. you really need to cut the top layer with the correct bit then cut the bottom layer with the correct bit for that. Its a pain but that would be the only way to not kill your bits.

Z SIGNS

I use the same general purpose bit to cut acrylic and acm. Can't see any problem cutting acm that's been glued to plastic.

BabooDIG

Interesting. I'm not a CNC guy (I only use an EGX on occasion for ADA), but could you run it with multiple passes using 2 different bits -- 1 for acrylic, and 1 for aluminum?
Absolutely an option we’re considering if needed. We have a Zund with an ARC. Thanks for your reply!

BabooDIG

your not going to get good results using 1 bit and trying to do it all. you really need to cut the top layer with the correct bit then cut the bottom layer with the correct bit for that. Its a pain but that would be the only way to not kill your bits.
Agreed. We are cutting acrylic side up (this is a must for production) how do we avoid the second ACM bit’s pass ruining the nice acrylic edge?

BabooDIG

Yup. Used to have to do this on ultraboard, aluminum mounted to foam.
I'm starting to think these 'digital cutters' really aren't built to handle acm, seeing as how they dull bits so fast. Perhaps pushing a bigger spindle around would help. How big (HP or KW) is the spindle on this thing?
It’s Zund’s 1kw spindle.

rjssigns

What about contacting a place like Kennametal?
I know they're geared toward industrial CNC work, but they make tooling that can survive titanium, inconel and other hard to machine exotics.
Recommending tooling for an acrylic and ACM sandwich should be a walk in the park for them.
Never know until you ask.

BabooDIG

What about contacting a place like Kennametal?
I know they're geared toward industrial CNC work, but they make tooling that can survive titanium, inconel and other hard to machine exotics.
Recommending tooling for an acrylic and ACM sandwich should be a walk in the park for them.
Never know until you ask.
Thanks! I will reach out!

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
at best you will want to use a finishing pass.
The debris from the harder material will cause striations on the softer.
It makes sense to put acrylic facing up.
However, you can specifically orientate your lasers how you would like.
Have you ever tried cutting just above the adhesive layer with the acm up to size first and then cutting the acrylic oversized.
Clean bit and then run the finishing pass to size.
Sometimes you have to do the best you can on the machine with what you have so it is good to have ideas and options.

So with a nice DLC coated bit you can skim pass to the finished pass.
It is better with 6mm or 1/4 bits so the bulk of the debris can "evacuate" the cut.
you might consider an offset with a smaller bit to increase the size of the channel around the cut for the vac.
Your adhesive is another wild card.
Depending on the type you will have various results from chips binding.
If you are able you can mist some alcohol to loosen the bond on debris and if you dont have a tool changer system youll want to clean the bit prior to the finishing pass.

Flatbed Tools

Merchant Member
Hey team. Wondering if anyone has any tooling they’d recommend for cutting 3mm or 6mm acrylic that been mounted to 3mm dibond. We are running a zund g3. This combo seems to burn through bits like crazy.
Just curious, what is the type of acrylic (manufacturer and model), and is the ACM actual Dibond or another type (i.e. Maxmetal, E-Panel, Alupanel)? Second thought, are you using two different layers with two different cutting parameters in ZCC?
We have routed this before during testing, but never in a production environment. Let me know if you have time to chat and possibly I could log in to see your job setup and provide suggestions. PM me!

Justin