• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Royal Sov. Laminator Question

dakotasignwerks

I am having issues with the laminator take-up device not keeping up with the rollers. it is a brand new unit and just started experiencing this prob. the roll holder has new rubbers to hold cardboard roll tight. Any hints or tricks to figure this one out? Thanks Randy

Sticky Signs

How much material is on the take up? I find that when I put a new core on, I have to help it by hand for a little bit. It seems to work all on it's own once you get enough release liner on the core.

Custom_Grafx

Check to see if there is any slippage on the core. You could have a loose fit or bad core. try rolling it around with your hand, does it seem to turn and grip tight? (are the rubber bands catching on ok to the inside?).

you also need to make sure there is no slack between the top rubber roller and the take up... when you load a new roll, you need to manually wind it up like Sticky Signs says.

skdave

I have the same issue with the take up speed on our Royal Sov. Laminator. Andrew in service is of no help.

ZsVinylInc

Which model of laminator are you running? I have had an RSC-1400C for three years and never had any problems with it like you describe.

The Equipment Guy

Are you using the same core for take up all the time? The insides of cores can get polished or stretched and cause an issue like this. As Sticky Signs said, at the start it can be an issue, but the reverse is once you have a lot of material on the take off, you can have other issues.

Feel free to give my partner Harold a call at 647-520-8036, he is a guru on all aspects of lamination. He might have some insight.

Craig

dakotasignwerks

Thanks for the replies. I will see today why the issue is happening. the core is an older one but will try different one today and see. Again thanks for the direction.

The first several feet are always a problem. Once the diameter builds up a little, it will work fine. If the bar itself is slipping on the machine, you can take the top left cover off and adjust tension. I do not think this is the problem and if you adjust too much, it will cause a problem.

Gene@mpls

I think that the gearing was set up for a thicker core- if I use a 'lightweight'
core like the Orajet products come on I have the problem.

dakotasignwerks

switched to a thicker core and seems to be doing fine. Now on to the other issues with it. keep getting creases in final laminated print. UGH!!! acts like backing paper is crinkling (i think thats a word) under print causing it to crease. I am trying different speed and such and re-loading backing paper, but so far still has issue during first several feet of laminating. trying to solve, but if any extra advice, i would greatly appreciate it as well.

Sticky Signs

Always use the centre of the laminator and make sure everything is loaded in square and straight. If the problem persists, it probably means the rollers are out of whack and need to be adjusted. You can do that yourself or call a tech.

Custom_Grafx

switched to a thicker core and seems to be doing fine. Now on to the other issues with it. keep getting creases in final laminated print. UGH!!! acts like backing paper is crinkling (i think thats a word) under print causing it to crease. I am trying different speed and such and re-loading backing paper, but so far still has issue during first several feet of laminating. trying to solve, but if any extra advice, i would greatly appreciate it as well.

I'm fairly new on this machine too... and had similar problems. It takes practice and you waste alot of material doing it, but a worthwhile investment. My previous machine was manual, and I got so used to it, that it was just easy peasy. Am figuring out new things the last couple of days on it. TENSION plays a huge part in that creasing problem you're talking about on the sacrificial underlay.

Try playing with the tension up top and down bottom. That is, the laminate roll, and the underlay roll.

Also, it's very important that you feed it in right from the start. If it goes in crooked, it's gonna crease. I personally like folding a bit of the leading edge onto itself so it's not sticky, and pop that through to the other end. Some like using a piece of PVC board instead. Whatever works best for you, stick with it I guess.

Then, there is threading... there are a couple of ways you can have it threaded and it can still 'work' so you gotta make sure you've done it the right way, coz you can easily be deceived that you've got it right when in fact you don't.

dakotasignwerks

this may sound dumb, but I have tried both ways.....1- rolling backing paper on the take-up roll and 2- not rolling it, but I have to constantly pull it from the print and lam. which way seems to work best? sorry so many questions, but as skdave said tech support not much help. :(