• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Royal Sovereign 54 uneven feed/wrinkles

Hey guys I have been getting used to this 54" royal sovereign laminator and one issue has come up and I wanted to double check before I started messing around. The lamination starts our perfect, then one side will slowly develop wrinkles. It looks like the sides are being fed at uneven speeds. I am guessing this is due to pressure. What is the best way to even out the pressure from side to side?

Thanks

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We used to get this happening until we figured out a very weird way to web the machine up, but now it laminates straight and wrinkle free every time, only wasting ~1ft material tops to get it loaded.
I've been meaning to put together a video for weeks, but haven't had a chance. Send me a PM and I'll try describe what we do and I'll update the thread with the video once it's done.

JulieS

It usually helps me to tighten up the tension on the back bar (that's holding the roll of lam). Seems like the tension needs to be checked and adjusted a few times as I use up the roll. I would love to see this new way of webbing the machine too though, SignMeUpGraphics!

Joe House

If the wrinkles are coming from one side, then you could have a pressure problem, but if you're new to laminating, I would suspect operator error here. Make sure that you have the roll centered and that you're loading the media and laminate straight and that neither of the materials are telescoped out to one side.

dale911

President
Call royal sovereign. They sell a pressure gauge that’s under $100 to measure the tension. It makes a huge difference if there is a pound or two of pressure difference across the roller. The gauge is basically a strip of thin aluminum that you hook on to what is essentially a modified fish scale. You measure in the middle and then each side. Match the sides with the middle pressure using the Allen screws under the cover and all is well. Also make sure to web your printed material through the roller under the laminating table. It makes a huge difference when laminating more than a few feet to tension everything correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Also make sure to web your printed material through the roller under the laminating table. It makes a huge difference when laminating more than a few feet to tension everything correctly.

This right here... it's listed nowhere in any manual, but solved nearly all our problems. I'll have the video up after the weekend. Just been out on installs all week so far.

joeks

We used to get this happening until we figured out a very weird way to web the machine up, but now it laminates straight and wrinkle free every time, only wasting ~1ft material tops to get it loaded.
I've been meaning to put together a video for weeks, but haven't had a chance. Send me a PM and I'll try describe what we do and I'll update the thread with the video once it's done.

I would love to know more about this too. Been struggling with my laminator for a long time already. Anything over half a meter and it starts developing wrinkles left and right in a downwards angle toward the center. Will try to tighten the lam holder to give more tension. Thanks!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Actually, we don't use that method anymore... turns out there just wasn't the right tension set on the laminate feed roll. Added about 3/4 of a turn to that roll and haven't had a single failure since then.

MarkH42

Ditto to what dale911 said. We were having the same problems and bought the calibration kit. Basically, it is a fish scale with a strip of thin aluminum attached to it. You put the laminator on the thinnest setting and squeeze the strip of aluminum between the rollers on one side, then measure the force pulling on the strip before it starts to slip. Do the same on the other side and adjust the allen screws until the numbers are close. That resolved our issues. Money well spent.

Farid

Can you please post the video or send it to me on faridsk@hotmail.com

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Yah Signmeup! it's been almost 4 years - where is that video?! :roflmao:

As I wrote above:

Actually, we don't use that method anymore... turns out there just wasn't the right tension set on the laminate feed roll. Added about 3/4 of a turn to that roll and haven't had a single failure since then.

So it was a tension issue, rather than a webbing issue in the end. Sorry, no video as we resolved the issue and just web as anyone would normally do.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Hey guys I have been getting used to this 54" royal sovereign laminator and one issue has come up and I wanted to double check before I started messing around. The lamination starts our perfect, then one side will slowly develop wrinkles. It looks like the sides are being fed at uneven speeds. I am guessing this is due to pressure. What is the best way to even out the pressure from side to side?

Thanks
We had the same issue when we first got our 54" laminator several years ago. Its critical to ensure the that vinyl to be laminated and the lamination are as even across the rollers as possible. We've perfected our technique using three pieces of masking tape but I can still get wrinkles if I'm in a rush and don't get is as even as I know I should. Practice makes perfect.

RexHavoc

This video shows you how to adjust roller pressure. I built my own gage for less than $10. Cheap fish scale, a strip of retractable banner material, and a grommet

kendallcole

I had the same issue with mine. If you take the plastic covers off on the sides you will see a tensioning piece in there with some nuts on it that you need to adjust if you have uneven pressure. One of my side's nut was completely loose! It was the side I was having issues with, fixed it.

netsol

you should probably consider that fish scale though.
i love my royal sovereign, but, they can be one cranky b**ch of a device at times.

Saturn

Aging Member
A thin strip of paper or backing paper will work in lieu of the metal gauge. You can at least get each side roughly a similar pressure this way.

netsol

don't sell the metal guage short.
a simple device like that more than makes up for a lack of experience (i use one!)