• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

?'s about cutting .060 aluminum with utility knife...

Keith Rae

The deeper the score the easier to break it, if you use an carbide tipped counter top laminate scoring tool you can take multiple passes to get a deeper score and with the V in the cut allows for easier bending to brake it.

skyhigh

Use your circular saw. Being that you allready have the 2x4's and clamps out, USE THEM AS A GUIDE for the circular. You will not have ragged edges!!!!

The only material I found suitable for cutting with a utility knife is dibond (or one of the similar products). Even at that, the material will be left with a razor sharp edge that will need filed down. For the thinner aluminums (on larger bends) you will almost always get some distortion of the material while bending. For the thicker materials....well, you allready found out how well that works.

Wes Phifer

Panel saw works good. A little rough on the edges but it is not bad. Works better on thicker aluminum than .040.

UFB Fabrication

type in the back gage on the shear, turn on insert material step on peddle clunk and its done. clean easy no chips no muss no fuss. plan B cut on router, plan c cut on panel saw. plan d have someone else cut it.

skyhigh

type in the back gage on the shear, turn on insert material step on peddle clunk and its done. clean easy no chips no muss no fuss.

That is the "ideal" way for sure! For those that don't have a shear, perhaps you have a metal fabrication shop on the island near you.

UFB Fabrication

Maybe you could mask off both sides of it leaving 1/8'' of space on either side. Insulate with super insulation and drop dry ice in the area to be cut. Then get the biggest stereo system around and play Barry Manilows greatest hits until it shatters right along the line to be cut. :rolleyes:

G-Artist

Most of us don't have to cut aluminum or other metals very often as we usually get it cut to size but there will be times it is better to buy a full sheet or you need a special shape.

The following works for both a circle saw and a jigsaw.

Cutting a shape with a hand-held jigsaw - place a full sheet of styrofoam under the entire panel and tape the panel to it. It fully supports your cut and you now eliminate the "chatter" and you can easily turn it from time to time on your work table.

For a straight cut all you need is a slice of styrofoam the length or longer than your cut and a few extra pieces to keep the panel level.

It will not dull cutting blades and a shop vac will gather up any scree.

Styro panels can be purchased in places like Home Depot, Lowe's,etc. as well as from plastic supply houses.

We use the stryo method to cut all thin stocks regardless of what they are. I have had the same piece of styro in my shop for about a year now. I think it cost about $20 for the 2" thick stuff. Lot less for the 1/2" stuff.