• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S101 Forum Ads

BrianKE

I just saw an ad running for DaVinci signs stating the cost for wholesale HDU signs. It was displayed just below the "Log Out" link to the right of the posts. Sorry I didn't think to get a screen shot (now added to this post).

Does this ad show only for premium members or for anyone that visits the site?

I know discussing pricing has been talked about a lot on this forum and I believe it should not be out there for the general public.

While I am all for ads to support this site I really don't want a customer knowing the wholesale price of any signs they may buy.

ad.jpg

Last edited:

Salmoneye

That is a bummer. I wonder if it is only visible by members, premium members or visitors. It would suck to price a sign out and for someone to see it at 1/3 the price with a simple google search.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The banner ad you are referring to can be seen by anyone visiting the site. It does not violate any rules we have even though a segment of our members find the displaying of pricing objectionable. Unfortunately, the fact is that such a communication adds considerably to the results from the banner ad for the advertiser.

If you have suggestions or objections about choosing to display wholesale pricing, you would do better to contact the advertiser and explain why you feel that way.

BrianKE

Thanks for the info Fred. I can certainly understand the need for advertisements to help support the site. I just think that telling everyone out there what we pay for a sign a bad idea. It is tough enough as it is to make customers understand the value of a sign and then to have them come in to my shop and show me an ad for 50-75% less than what I am asking.

I think most can agree that a customer, especially now a days, doesn't care about much other than price.

I do like seeing the ad as a paid subscriber, just not as anyone that might do a search for a sign and stumble across this site and ad.

I don't run a forum and don't know what is possible so i am just asking out of ignorance, is it possible to display ads based on login or subscribership?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't run a forum and don't know what is possible so i am just asking out of ignorance, is it possible to display ads based on login or subscribership?

Don't know if it's possible but it isn't practical when you consider what would be lost to the advertiser who is paying for exposure. Consider the numbers and other data ...

Average daily unique logins = 800
Average daily unique, non-member visitors = 1200

So, as a provider of advertising, should I exclude the exposure to the 1200 and cut my rates by 60%? Your argument is with the advertiser IMHO, not with the fact that non-members can see ads here. They can just as easily pick up a print or digital copy of any sign magazine, or visit thousands of websites, and see all the prices they want and then attempt to use it against you. They can also read posts which get into pricing and lots of other sensitive material as well. Ad content cannot be digested by search bots as anything other than an image and a linked website. So "wholesale sign" etc. does not show up on any search result because the banner ad is displayed. In addition, the vendor, to the best of my knowledge, does not produce work for end users at wholesale prices.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
the fact is that such a communication adds considerably to the results from the banner ad for the advertiser

i'm sure it would, be it retail or wholesale customers, i'm sure he doesn't care. maybe he does, the point is it's kinda like seeing a crime being committed and doing nothing about it... well that's kinda harsh but, you get it.

in the end what it really says is " i make money off of the advertisers and i really don't care what they advertise, i don't sell dimentional signs, won't hurt me...." - " so up yours"

hypathetically speaking.....

Techman

in the end what it really says is " i make money off of the advertisers and i really don't care what they advertise, i don't sell dimentional signs, won't hurt me...." - " so up yours"

When a leader is out front, there is always someone ready to fire an arrow into his back.

Fred runs this forum, 99% of the people benefit from it and are very happy with it. The one or two who disagree with the leader making a buck can go out and spend their own money and use their own life force and run a forum themselves.

EEERP!
A couple of disgruntled past members already did that and found out just how difficult it really is... And failed miserably...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
hardly disgruntled, simply stating the obvious. posting or advertising wholesale prices is bad for business, PERIOD!

you can roll it anyway you want, my customer finds out wholesale pricing on dimetional signs is $39 bucks a square and i'm selling them at three times that , it makes them think.... and when they think, i make less.....

signage

Fred I just have a possible suggestion being this keeps coming up every couple of months!

Maybe make all advertising of wholesale prices not allowed! They can advertise list prices and put that they honor/offer wholesale pricing! This way they still get the advertising advantages of the whole sites visits without this coming up every couple of months! Maybe you could run this by all of the merchant members! Just a thought!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i'm sure it would, be it retail or wholesale customers, i'm sure he doesn't care. maybe he does, the point is it's kinda like seeing a crime being committed and doing nothing about it... well that's kinda harsh but, you get it.

hypathetically speaking.....

pops_blinking.gif
You know that characterization is both unfair and inaccurate.

But then if we followed your example, we'd allow everyone to advertise without paying, ban 10% of our members in the first two months, neglect any and all moderation and management chores, walk away from it, ask for reinstatement here and take potshots at management whenever it suits our whim.

BTW, did your spell checker quit working Dave?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Fred I just have a possible suggestion being this keeps coming up every couple of months!

see below

If you have suggestions or objections about choosing to display wholesale pricing, you would do better to contact the advertiser and explain why you feel that way.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
this in not an attack on fred, rather his policy.

i try and sell my signs, not for what they are worth, but for as much as i can get. i'm sure there are others who feel the same way. this is indeed how you make good money.

this policy of yours hurts the signs business ~ plain and simple.

BTW, i got a new computer, and i cannot get used to the keyboard

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Maybe make all advertising of wholesale prices not allowed! They can advertise list prices and put that they honor/offer wholesale pricing! This way they still get the advertising advantages of the whole sites visits without this coming up every couple of months! Maybe you could run this by all of the merchant members! Just a thought!

Brian, that's a valid suggestion and I'll consider it ... but don't hold your breath on it coming to pass. I have an overflowing plate and not enough time or help from either admins or members to take the time and loss of business to start dictating what advertisers can and cannot say in their ads. The other side of the coin is that the concerns expressed in this thread are those of a small minority of members. I will agree that most ads, particularly those from major companies don't tend to get into using price advertising ... but that doesn't mean that for a wholesale outsource, for example, it isn't a valid advertising approach. And where does the line get drawn? How about Advantage Sign Supply's ad offering 10% off. What should I do if SignWarehouse or Beacon decides to advertise an equipment package?

And, as stated earlier in this thread, why should Signs 101 impose restrictions when other sign sites and trade journals would never dream of taking such an action. Open a SignCraft, Sign Business, Signs of the Times magazine and see how long it takes you to find dozens of ads that are focused on prices. And can anyone give me a comparison between the money saved by members who become aware of wholesale prices and the loss claimed to be suffered by shops with customers who saw the same ad?

signage

Fred I understand what you are saying about the sign magazines, but the difference is that those magazines do not go out to the general public! I also know you are a very busy man and do appreciate what you do! Just thought that maybe this would help lessen this from coming up and you having to defend it! I do not think anyone would argue with anyone saying a percentage off! They would then need to know what the amount was before they could calculate what dollar amount one would have saved!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Possibly, all the Merchant Members could have a pow-wow behind the scenes such as the OC and BoD did and we could all come to an agreement of how this could benefit everyone without hurting the very people we're trying to reach and sell to.

Clarke Systems, Gemini and many other wholesalers do this.... why can't we follow in their footsteps and protect OUR customers here at 101 at the same time.

Also, this is right now being discussed in the open boards and everytime someone has a problem here... they seem to drift out here and discuss this where those people [whom you are trying to avoid] can see anyway.

When will people learn ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Fred I understand what you are saying about the sign magazines, but the difference is that those magazines do not go out to the general public! I also know you are a very busy man and do appreciate what you do! Just thought that maybe this would help lessen this from coming up and you having to defend it! I do not think anyone would argue with anyone saying a percentage off! They would then need to know what the amount was before they could calculate what dollar amount one would have saved!

Yes, they do go out to the public. You might not have seen it, but they go to many arts and crafts shops and lots of artsie type stores. Their cost is slightly higher, but most of them are available.... if you know where to look.

ProWraps

if you dont like them giving your prices away to the public then dont buy from them. plain and simple.

they are cutting their own throats by giving away information that should be confidential to their retailers.