• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S80600 grey turning brown

Tatonka

You need to profile your printer yourself and create your own custom profile based off that.
After that, you need to fix your files' color-space issues.

which I'm trying to do, and have tried many times before with crap results. One spot I always get confused on is ink limits, I never know what to set it at after printing. There's no artifacts or anything like the help docs talk about, it prints from solid color to black. Do I pick the highest point of each section where it turns totally black? Or the lowest?

Attachments

• PXL_20200911_140454461.jpg
    PXL_20200911_140454461.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 203

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
which I'm trying to do, and have tried many times before with crap results. One spot I always get confused on is ink limits, I never know what to set it at after printing. There's no artifacts or anything like the help docs talk about, it prints from solid color to black. Do I pick the highest point of each section where it turns totally black? Or the lowest?
Marshal,

Apparently you're not one for guides or manuals.

However, pick the highest before it turns to black. If you were to take the time and experiment by setting unrealistic ink limit values of both high, and low, you would discover the surprising and relatively little impact those values would affect. The ink limits step is rather forgiving and that's why a hardware device is not necessary.

The basic goal here is to not waste ink where the color does not resolve and to not flood the media to cause puddles.

Tatonka

Marshal,

Apparently you're not one for guides or manuals.

However, pick the highest before it turns to black. If you were to take the time and experiment by setting unrealistic ink limit values of both high, and low, you would discover the surprising and relatively little impact those values would affect. The ink limits step is rather forgiving and that's why a hardware device is not necessary.

The basic goal here is to not waste ink where the color does not resolve and to not flood the media to cause puddles.

If the onyx manual was remotely well written, I wouldn't have a problem. And that's coming from someone who has had to write manuals for both an engineering degree as well as part of work.

I ran an entirely new profile this morning, 2500ish swatches, and the evaluation image still doesn't come out right, with colors being off and some of the greys being brownish.

Tatonka

What if you did a system restore on your PC to a few months ago before all this mess started?

unfortunately I only had a backup from a week ago, and that didn't fix it. I tried a different computer that hasn't been updated in quite some time and that didn't fix it either.

Tatonka

It's now been a week since the original post. Any status update?

I profiled the media and many of the greys are still warm, even if I try to manually change the color or print a bunch of swatches. Grimco, where I bought the printer from, believes it's an issue with the printer itself. I'm waiting on a reply from Epson.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The file itself is RGB. That's problem numero uno.
I'm assuming your color profiles are CMYK. They're just 2 different spectrums.

Tatonka

The file itself is RGB. That's problem numero uno.
I'm assuming your color profiles are CMYK. They're just 2 different spectrums.

it doesn't make a difference if the file is RGB or CMYK, they come out exactly the same. Even swatches from Onyx, which have no profile from illustrator, come out warm.

a77

Maybe something happened to the head so it doesn't perform the way it did previously.
But re-profiling should bring things back to normal - color gurus agree?

Tatonka

Maybe something happened to the head so it doesn't perform the way it did previously.
But re-profiling should bring things back to normal - color gurus agree?

The thoughts from both Epson and the service center I contacted is that the heads might need to be realigned using the service program, or entirely replaced.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The thoughts from both Epson and the service center I contacted is that the heads might need to be realigned using the service program, or entirely replaced.
Hard to imagine heads are the trouble in this case.

So...
Can you mimic this test on your end and upload a photo without glare? You should find the file somewhere in the Onyx folders. If you don't have a gray scale, use Cool Gray swatches from Pantone.

Attachments

• simpleTest.jpg
    simpleTest.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 185

Tatonka

Hard to imagine heads are the trouble in this case.

So...
Can you mimic this test on your end and upload a photo without glare? You should find the file somewhere in the Onyx folders. If you don't have a gray scale, use Cool Gray swatches from Pantone.

Attachments

• PXL_20200918_181314676.jpg
    PXL_20200918_181314676.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 177

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Much if the image looks better in that picture than it does to the eye. The colors are muted compared to what I know this printer is capable of.
Your thread title is "S80600 grey turning brown"

Do you consider these grays to be brown?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I just remembered that I've seen this exact same issue two months ago on a S80600L. Wasn't anything wrong in Onyx.
Issue was printer related but I don't know the exact solution. Our guess was there might be some problem with the color in the cartridge or something like that.

Tatonka

I just remembered that I've seen this exact same issue two months ago on a S80600L. Wasn't anything wrong in Onyx.
Issue was printer related but I don't know the exact solution. Our guess was there might be some problem with the color in the cartridge or something like that.

I printed each channel and they looked fine, but I didn't have anything to compare them to. I got a new black cartridge in last week that I'll try swapping and doing an ink refresh.