• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S80600 grey turning brown

Tatonka

If there is a problem with epson inks - that would be scary

I could see getting a rare bad cartridge, however swapping to a new cartridge didn't get it back to what it printed a few weeks ago. So, fixing the file colors, reprofiling, new media, and different inks and I still have issues with some greys. Both the tech and epson believe it to be a head issue, and it's well worth it to us to spend the money to try a new head given how much the jobs I print with it are worth.

a77

Would be interesting to see how it could possibly be a head issue.
If you print and read your patches correctly, the RIP and printhead should be "on the same page".

Tatonka

Would be interesting to see how it could possibly be a head issue.
If you print and read your patches correctly, the RIP and printhead should be "on the same page".

Yeah, I agree, but I don't know how I could read the patches incorrectly since it's pretty much automated. Epson mentioned the heads being out of alignment and needing to be adjusted by the service program, otherwise it's a voltage issue or something. I'm certainly far from an expert, but I feel like I've tried everything else.

yannb

waiting on parts.

Hi, tell the service engineer to bring a main board too. A similar issue happened with one of our customers on an 80600L a few months ago. Got us puzzled too, as well as Epson 2nd level support. On Epson’s Tech Exchange service site, there is a diagnostics .prn file for the 80600. It is supposed to be printed by an application that bypasses the rip, PrintFileSender it is called I think. In our demo room the print was fine, the one from the customer wasn’t. There were issues with some colours, not all of them, but no alignment problems whatsoever. They had to be put side by side to notice the differences, but they were obvious then. Epson finally suggested to swap the main board, which did the trick. Make sure to keep sample prints before and after the swap.
The faulty main board was sent to Epson for evaluation.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Tatonka

Hi, tell the service engineer to bring a main board too. A similar issue happened with one of our customers on an 80600L a few months ago. Got us puzzled too, as well as Epson 2nd level support. On Epson’s Tech Exchange service site, there is a diagnostics .prn file for the 80600. It is supposed to be printed by an application that bypasses the rip, PrintFileSender it is called I think. In our demo room the print was fine, the one from the customer wasn’t. There were issues with some colours, not all of them, but no alignment problems whatsoever. They had to be put side by side to notice the differences, but they were obvious then. Epson finally suggested to swap the main board, which did the trick. Make sure to keep sample prints before and after the swap.
The faulty main board was sent to Epson for evaluation.

I'll mention it, thanks!

Tatonka

Thanks to the help from the tech, we finally figured out that there must have been an update to the iMacs that caused this. I switched over to a regular PC running Windows and it prints just fine. Same exact settings, same exact file, and the iMac running Windows prints a totally different color than the PC running Windows. The tech from DecisionOne said he'd seen similar problems a few other times, where the hardware is running perfectly fine, but the Mac just doesn't play nice.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
One really weird thing I have to look out for in Illustrator is different color setting in documents/versions.
Like you can open an older file, make changes, then save-as and it keeps the colors correct. But if you open , then copy the art into a new file, then save that new document the color is different.
Isn't that weird?! I've found different elements in the same document that have different color settings. It blows my mind. AND it has been the cause of some printing issues. It doesn't sound like that would be the OP's problem, since he just pulled a file that had already printed correctly back into the queue. That's a head scratcher.
Oh, I didn't finish reading the thread... glad you found a solution!

a77

You're printing through Onyx though?

You said "I just pulled the file up from the past jobs box in onyx rip-queue the same way I've done this and other files for as long as we've had this printer."

Tatonka

You're printing through Onyx though?

You said "I just pulled the file up from the past jobs box in onyx rip-queue the same way I've done this and other files for as long as we've had this printer."

correct, printing through Onyx. File never changed, I pulled it from the archived files at the bottom of Rip-Queue. Epson tech said he'd seen it before, where something with how a Mac sends the file can do weird things. Which would make a bit of sense, since it essentially happened over a weekend, and the computer probably would have done an update.

lora

Thanks to the help from the tech, we finally figured out that there must have been an update to the iMacs that caused this. I switched over to a regular PC running Windows and it prints just fine. Same exact settings, same exact file, and the iMac running Windows prints a totally different color than the PC running Windows. The tech from DecisionOne said he'd seen similar problems a few other times, where the hardware is running perfectly fine, but the Mac just doesn't play nice.
I thought Onyx is not compatible with iMacs. Correct me if I am wrong. I have an iMac and was wondering what RIP software can go on Macintosh?
Thank you

a77

OK, Operating System mystery solved.

Still don't know how the grey turned brown.

Marshal, when you had it your pattern file loaded in caldera and you double click the thumbnail and a preview opens up with a cmyk color picker cursors... does it show different CMYK values than what you were expecting?

Tatonka

OK, Operating System mystery solved.

Still don't know how the grey turned brown.

Marshal, when you had it your pattern file loaded in caldera and you double click the thumbnail and a preview opens up with a cmyk color picker cursors... does it show different CMYK values than what you were expecting?

I use Onyx, but the colors in the job editor looked correct. I can't say whether the CMYK values matched what I expected, but the image looked the same as the illustrator file. What came out of the printer was completely different than the computer showed. I can't explain why, and neither could the tech, other than that he's seen macs do weird things like that before.

I use Onyx, but the colors in the job editor looked correct. I can't say whether the CMYK values matched what I expected, but the image looked the same as the illustrator file. What came out of the printer was completely different than the computer showed. I can't explain why, and neither could the tech, other than that he's seen macs do weird things like that before.

So to resolve this issue, are you now running Onyx on a native Windows box (not a VM)?

MachServTech

Sounds like the embedded source profile for the image changed. When dealing with color in a workflow consistency is king but understanding the different parts is even more important. Making sure that you understand all of the steps for color control in the process.
Adobe or Corel Rendering Intents/Source Profile/Color Space
RIP... What to honor from Adobe etc. Good Profile then re-calibrate any time there is a major hardware change (printhead, heater/lamps), media vendor change or every 6 months.
Consistent printer maintenance and nozzle checks.

Tatonka

Sounds like the embedded source profile for the image changed. When dealing with color in a workflow consistency is king but understanding the different parts is even more important. Making sure that you understand all of the steps for color control in the process.
Adobe or Corel Rendering Intents/Source Profile/Color Space
RIP... What to honor from Adobe etc. Good Profile then re-calibrate any time there is a major hardware change (printhead, heater/lamps), media vendor change or every 6 months.
Consistent printer maintenance and nozzle checks.

How would the embedded profile change when it was pulled from the archive in onyx? Or why was the color different from the same file on mac vs windows, with the same settings? Same exact file pulled from the server. I had both computers running side by side to test, double checked that every setting in Onyx was identical, and loaded the exact same file from our servers, and they printed totally different within a few minutes of each other.