• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sad Story, ideas on how I should help?

Doyle

A local high school student who is the leader of the school spirit group had placed an order for t-shirts a couple days ago, I had been working on this with him for a few weeks now.

Last night, just before I left work, he and his friend died in a horrible car accident just down the street from my shop. Icy and snowy roads were the cause. Both were students at our local high school, and as you can imagine, the whole town is grieving. I have constantly had a sick feeling in my stomach just thinking about the fact that I had just talked with him the other day and what a cool kid he was. It is so sad.

I have these boxes of shirts that I was to print today and tomorrow for him to pick up from me on Friday, they were school spirit shirts and he had been taking orders from students at the high school. I will be talking with another student today about possibly putting the two kids' names on the shirts as a memorial. I want to do more, and want to do everything I can for these kids and teachers who are suffering this loss.

Anyone have any ideas of what else I should do? I will give everything I can, but just don't know what to suggest at this point. I did think about printing some large photos of them for them to have at the funeral since it will be closed casket.

It is times like these that you just can't do enough.

Patrick46

Whata horrible thing to have happen...especially durring the 'holiday' season.

I think both of your ideas sound great...but I would wait to see what the rest of the student body would like to have done before I moved foreward.

best wishes

Bigdawg

Just Me
I think the photos are a nice idea Doyle... it's so hard to know how to respond to something like this.

You might also do some small memorial decals for his friends...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Horrible situation to be in for you, but far worse for those kid's families and the rest of your town.

I would probably just wait a few days and let some emotions settle down a bit and contact these new kids and see what they want to do. I'd be patient as all get out and just let this one sit on a back burner until they're all ready to deal with it.

Doyle

Here is the news article from this morning

http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/80761847.html

This happened on my route home, on the same road as my shop just a couple miles down the road. My Dad had left the shop 5 minutes before all the sirens were flying past the shop, I immediately called my Dad (make sure it wasn't him) and he was there (first one on the scene) helplessly watching these kids die on the side of the road.

webguru

Well a few things come to mind.

If the order was paid for, then print and deliver so the kids that paid for them get the product. You could also donate the monies back to the group in memory of the two that have passed.

The photos sound like a fine idea, I would contact the local Funeral Home that will be in charge of preparing these two for eternal rest. Inform the funeral director you are willing to do this for the families and let them bring it up to them.

The memorial decals Stacy mentioned sounds like something you could do and the school might let you come in one day, set up a table during lunch periods and pass them out to the kids that would like one.

You could also offer a memorial T-shirt if you are so inclined and in a position to do so.

Marlene

what a horrible story! that's a tough question of what to do. I'm thinking that printing the shirt as he wanted it with a his name added and credited for the project would be a nice reminder of the work he put into the project. something else could be done for the both of them if the students would like that.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Reminds me of 39 years ago during my Senior year of HS. Three of my classmates were killed in a collision with a cement mixer truck. I can tell ya firsthand their friends take it very hard. I still cringe when I think of the family of one of the two girls killed. Their remaining five year old daughter was hit by a car and killed in front of their house nearly a year to the day after the first accident. Kudos to you for wanting to help out.

Doyle

Well I have so far printed 250 memorial decals, and printed a large photo of one of the boys to be used at his funeral. The other boy actually had no funeral arrangements made as of yesterday due to family not having the money, and the boy had actually been living with friends for the past year so there was no active parent figure in his life. The decals were to be sold to help raise money for his arrangements, then yesterday an anonymous member of the community actually made a large donation to cover all of the expenses.

I am so very lucky to be in this community, when something like this happens it really makes you feel good to see that everyone comes together to make it through.

As for the boys t-shirts, it has not yet been decided what will be printed on the back of them as a memorial, but the basketball team has decided that they will also get shirts for them with the boys initials on the sleeves to use as warm-ups for the rest of their season, which has been dedicated to the two boys.

Marlene

the boy had actually been living with friends for the past year so there was no active parent figure in his life. The decals were to be sold to help raise money for his arrangements, then yesterday an anonymous member of the community actually made a large donation to cover all of the expenses.

the story was so sad but that part torn my heart out. you are lucky to live in a community where people pitch in to help and it sure sounds like you are one of those people and they are lucky to have you there in the community too!

i can understand wanting to do anything and everything you can. the important thing is that you do something...in situations like this no matter what you do it will never feel like enough...your heart is in the right place.