• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scaling Images

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Didn't you see post #9?
Oh yah. I forgot about that.

SeanBender

We have a spike and I have the measurements of the door and i can figure out the measurement of the brick and sometimes i don't type right. I was just wondering what would you do if you need to scale something that is not at the right angle. And thanks to the guy that gave me the "just get the customer to give you the measuremenst" I have done it too many times where the customer says "it's the same as last time" IT IS NOT. I someone tell me that the door was whatever it was and went to put it on and it was too big. I am asking what do you guys do to figure out a measurement you don't have.

I have spike, the person that measured didnt' have it that day. We did the doors before know that size but we didnt' know the size of the columns.

Thanks to the one guy that mentioned the percentage, that's one of the "duh" moments, thank you.

Can you tell I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today?

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
Well, once again, I didn't read the post well enough. I though you meant you were putting architectural letters on the brick above the doors LOL I didn't know arithecial was a word - what the hell kind of letters are those?
How did you get architectural from arithecial?? You must be a whiz at the NYT crossword puzzle! :notworthy:

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
I always go with the assumption that a standard door is 7ft tall. Then scale with rectangles based off that. It's not 100%, but close enough for permitting. But we do send people to get actual measurements before production.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can't spell for sh!t, either. No wonder you're having problems.

Glad you thought I was a help. If you noticed, I made mention of the fact someone who could count and measure correctly...... not another individual who is lazy and/or stupid. You only need this persons help to quote, do a layout or have a conversion to get started. In ALL cases, YOU go out and get the final specs.

Aaron Hunter

We have a spike and I have the measurements of the door and i can figure out the measurement of the brick and sometimes i don't type right. I was just wondering what would you do if you need to scale something that is not at the right angle. And thanks to the guy that gave me the "just get the customer to give you the measuremenst" I have done it too many times where the customer says "it's the same as last time" IT IS NOT. I someone tell me that the door was whatever it was and went to put it on and it was too big. I am asking what do you guys do to figure out a measurement you don't have.

I have spike, the person that measured didnt' have it that day. We did the doors before know that size but we didnt' know the size of the columns.

Thanks to the one guy that mentioned the percentage, that's one of the "duh" moments, thank you.

Can you tell I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today?
So going back to your original request. I only do this for estimates as I won't do a full survey on a potential but just enough. With the picture used in the original post, and in Corel (Illustrator still doesn't show a % change for this method, Flexi does but I can remember where I finally found it) I use elements on the plane you are needing to scale. In your case you have a great 12" x 18" sign. The key to being being as accurate as possible is to have the scale box you draw be as accurate to the edges. Using the bricks in this instance is tough since they blow out pixel wise when you zoom in...rest has been covered.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So going back to your original request. I only do this for estimates as I won't do a full survey on a potential but just enough. With the picture used in the original post, and in Corel (Illustrator still doesn't show a % change for this method, Flexi does but I can remember where I finally found it) I use elements on the plane you are needing to scale. In your case you have a great 12" x 18" sign. The key to being being as accurate as possible is to have the scale box you draw be as accurate to the edges. Using the bricks in this instance is tough since they blow out pixel wise when you zoom in...rest has been covered.
Why does it need to be so accurate? You're not going to put the letters from wall to wall.

Aaron Hunter

For me personally? It's a rather simple process that allows me to be as accurate on my impositions as possible and help sell the project. If I do it well enough, I don't have to adjust my files other than bringing them up to 1:1 scale and prep for the various outputs. Also, I've seen where loose scaling led to not meeting client expectations, estimate failures, etc. If it were a tedious process I'd probably handle it differently.

NY Mark

I would love to see a sign in real life that was lettered with "Copy to be determined".
Here is something close that I designed about 15 years ago.

Attachments

• DILBRG.jpg
    DILBRG.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DillsburgPA.jpg
    DillsburgPA.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Informative
Reactions: 2B