• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scam-Harlan Hales is back

snow55

Hey All,
Received an email for 200 banners- thought ok, that's a lot-but who knows. Gave the quote -then next emails-did not feel right-
Email- harlan9007@gmail.com
phone number 785-505-7221
His company is Harlan & Sons & he is a broker!

Good day,
My name is Harlan Hales. I would like to place an order on Vinyl banners.
size: 32 " x 60" Finished
Qty 200
13oz. scrim banner
There should be 8 grommets 4 in the top and 4 in the bottom. Also let me know the form of Payment you Accept, as well as if I am making this order with the Manager or Owner. What's the eta on how long it will take to be ready once I make payment? I will be awaiting your response back the soonest.
Thank You.
Harlan Hales

NEXT EMAIL-
I am okay with the cost and would like to proceed. I want you to get the shipping price for the Order to Honolulu, HI so that you can add it to the total cost of the Order and I will call to make payment altogether. I want you to contact New Port Logistics regarding picking up the Order at your end.
Here's the shipping address 500 Alakawa St Rm 120 Honolulu, HI 96817.
Here is their contact details
Forwarders Details:
NEW PORT LOGISTICS CO.
POC: John Mclaren
E-mail: newportlogistics@tutamail.com
Thank you.
Harlan Hales

I asked for his business address & his artwork- No address but got the artwork for an HIV/AIDS message
upload_2020-10-13_12-41-57.png

Things did not add up so call my friend Teresa-it's a scam that has been around for a while. So fellow Sign Companies-he's back to con some more companies! Be aware! Esp-why buy from me in CA to ship to HI:|
Stay safe & well all!!

appropriate1

Fot those who think this is not a scam if they offer payment up front, it is important to understand the whole scam. I THINK it is one I have seen for at least 20 years now and I THINK this is how it works... You quote 200 banners andthey ask you to add shipping to some far away place. This one was Hawaii, but most I see are foreign, so shipping is as much or more than the banners. You are offered payment up front for the total, which will come as a cashier's check, including the shipping fee. Then, his special logistics guy comes for the shipment pickup and you are to pay him the shipping fee out of your prepayment. You pay and two weeks later find out the cashier's check bounces, which yes, they can be fake. You are out the cost of 200 banners and whatever payment you gave the logistics guy. There may be ways to check out the shipper and think you verify the job, but it is best just to be aware and don't even respond. Typically, they have a charitable or religious message, as this is part of trying to make yout think they are good people with good intentions. When they tried it with me, I tied up the logistics guy in my shop basement with some duct tape and double sided banner tape over his mouth and an open can of T205 thinner, which acts as a true serum....Oh know...I have to go...that was a month ago and I think he is still down there. Gotta run...

SignGuy45212

Printing, Engraving, CNC Routing
Hey All,
Received an email for 200 banners- thought ok, that's a lot-but who knows. Gave the quote -then next emails-did not feel right-

Forwarders Details:
NEW PORT LOGISTICS CO.

source says he's in Lawrence, KS
https://validnumber.com/phone-number/7855057221/

more info:
Lee Roberts, Northwood Ln, Lawrence Kansas 785-505-7221

Last edited:

Reveal1

Probably an abandoned number. If he's still there, the guy that used to have that number is going to have to deal with Boudica.

david depew

Hey All,

Good day,
My name is Harlan Hales. I would like to place an order on Vinyl banners.
size: 32 " x 60" Finished
Qty 200
13oz. scrim banner
There should be 8 grommets 4 in the top and 4 in the bottom. Also let me know the form of Payment you Accept, as well as if I am making this order with the Manager or Owner. What's the eta on how long it will take to be ready once I make payment? I will be awaiting your response back the soonest.
Thank You.
Harlan Hales

NEXT EMAIL-
I am okay with the cost and would like to proceed. I want you to get the shipping price for the Order to Honolulu, HI so that you can add it to the total cost of the Order and I will call to make payment altogether. I want you to contact New Port Logistics regarding picking up the Order at your end.
Here's the shipping address 500 Alakawa St Rm 120 Honolulu, HI 96817.
Here is their contact details
Forwarders Details:
NEW PORT LOGISTICS CO.
Thank you.
Harlan Hales

I asked for his business address & his artwork- No address but got the artwork for an HIV/AIDS message
View attachment 149615

Things did not add up so call my friend Teresa-it's a scam that has been around for a while. So fellow Sign Companies-he's back to con some more companies! Be aware! Esp-why buy from me in CA to ship to HI:|
Stay safe & well all!!
Just got this exact email today!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Has anyone ever received a legitimate order for 200 banners from anyone? Especially out of the blue via email?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
My client whom I thanked for the donuts a week ago damn near pulled the trigger with me on 200 banners for this scam! I talked him down off the ledge...lol

CJP

I just received the same scam this morning. " Harlen Hale " wanted 100 banners - 32" x 60" with that HIV / AIDS artwork on 13 oz scrim vinyl. I don't make banners on site so I spent some time looking for a company that can make 100 units for me at a fair price. After several emails back and fourth he decides to change the amount he wants to 200 banners and does not care about the price I quoted him , I decided to google the phone number attached to the email and it turns out this is a scam.

I am new to this website. I was wondering if one of you can help me. I work with my father in his interior sign shop ( small business), we have been getting some orders for these type of table top signs but we dont know how to bend the styrene material. I have added a picture I got from a website online that sells them, we have styrene sheets of all sizes and a UV flat bed printer but we dont know how we could bend this material like that. We looked into scoring the styrene but I don't think that is what they are doing, it seems like they are heat pressing it somehow to create that shape. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• tabletopeasel.jpg
    tabletopeasel.jpg
    804.3 KB · Views: 284

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I just received the same scam this morning. " Harlen Hale " wanted 100 banners - 32" x 60" with that HIV / AIDS artwork on 13 oz scrim vinyl. I don't make banners on site so I spent some time looking for a company that can make 100 units for me at a fair price. After several emails back and fourth he decides to change the amount he wants to 200 banners and does not care about the price I quoted him , I decided to google the phone number attached to the email and it turns out this is a scam.

I am new to this website. I was wondering if one of you can help me. I work with my father in his interior sign shop ( small business), we have been getting some orders for these type of table top signs but we dont know how to bend the styrene material. I have added a picture I got from a website online that sells them, we have styrene sheets of all sizes and a UV flat bed printer but we dont know how we could bend this material like that. We looked into scoring the styrene but I don't think that is what they are doing, it seems like they are heat pressing it somehow to create that shape. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Heat and bend. They have tools for this too.