• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scratching problems

Happyprinter

Having a severe problem with scratching on banners printed on 13oz. Scrim. Heat is set high, but when the banners dry, if you were to rub your finger lightly across a solid it will scratch the ink. Is this normal? If not, any suggestions on eliminating the problem. I thought eco-solv was suppose to be more durable.

jmcnicoll

You scratching it with your finger (skin) or finger nail? If finger nail I would consider that normal as I can scratch just about any solvent printed banner with my finger nail. If your rubbing ink off with your finger tip I would consider that a problem.

Jim

Happyprinter

I have other samples printed with eco-solv that I can lightly use my fingernail on them and they do not scratch. On mine however, if I lightly drag my fingernails across it they scratch.

petesign

Eco-solvent is the key word there. Mine does the same thing on banners. It's a double edged sword. You dont have to ventilate, but your ink doesnt have the same "bite" as some of the harsher inks. I have to laminate everything I print (even coroplast yard signs) --- You can print them, let 'em dry for a week, and if you stack the signs on top of each other, they will stick together and ruin the signs. Found that out the hard way. Turn up the heat, and if you dont have a dryer fan, get one. It has helped some. Different banner materials also might make a difference.

gabagoo

The longer they dry the harder the ink gets, but who has time!!!

I experienced this quite a bit when my printer (Mimaki) was new and the heads were set to low. I don't know if the Epson has adjustable heads but my scuffing issues are much better since I raised them up.

You can use a water based liquid laminate on the banners which is what I do for banners that I feel will possibly get handled a lot or will be put up and down seasonally. Neshan makes a good product that I can roll on and it dries pretty good (need to spread it evenly).

JoshLoring

Happy- its the banner material. Is it Roland Eco-Sol? If so... Try Sihl banner material. You will LOVE it and it's cheap.

randya

What are your heat settings?

Dry should be high, but pre and platen should be lower.
You may be overdrying the ink before it gets a chance to hit the media and embed.

Happyprinter

My pre and platen settings are usually set on 40 each and post on 50.(highest).
Never thought about getting the material to hot. But will definitely try turning down the pre and platen a bite. JOSH - the material is being printed on a Epson GS. Will check into the Sihl material.

randya

I typically run 35-40 preheat
38-44 platen
50 dry.
So you are in the ballpark.

Sounds more like the media.
Are you getting a smooth print, with no anomolies?

Malkin

I recently switched to the same media. Love the print quality and how it handles (no edge curl at all & fast dry). I did notice that it seems to scratch slightly easier than the ultraflex, but not seriously enough to be a big issue.