• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudmedia

3m has no traction in the EU market. its all oracal. if they keep up this route, they will lose all their traction here as well.

like i mentioned before, ill be switching to oracal. im over it. between all the crappy rolls and their blatent behavior to compete with the very people that they wholesale to i cant in good faith be their customer any more.

oracals high performance cast material has ALWAYS been superior. and so has their lam. we just stuck with 3m because it was what the customer not knowing any better asked for. from now on we will educate the customer why its not the case.

Yikes...from the history s101 posts from both Prowraps and Colorado 3M if you see this which I know you are...As far as I am concerned if they stick to what they say you are loosing what I would consider two LARGE accounts that spend thousands of dollars on your product. Big loss because I believe these guys have turned a lot of guys to your product as well.

I would fix it for the sake of your vinyl manufacturing customers ditch original wraps and clear the air. Oracal, Avery, MacTac, Arlon, LG and the other vinyl companies are sitting back laughing I bet and counting dollar signs that "former" 3m customers are about to spend with them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I do like the 290 on top of 180. Gloss is very good and it does not have the tinting problem the 3M 85 series does.
I could not find good pricing on the 3751ra last time I looked.
Maybe time to look again.

wayne k
guam usa

Scott Reynolds

I would fix it for the sake of your vinyl manufacturing customers ditch original wraps and clear the air.

Back stabbing lairs .... Sorry, I meant 3M, has a very large investment in this attack on the end users (us). Its a deal that they cant/wont unwind.

4R Graphics

Holy cow just read this this is Bull$#^@! i will never again use 3M I have to say that for wraps I have prefered avery and Oracal but use 3M for alot of color wraps and cut vinyl stuff but now I will not use 3M period.

Thanks for the info and if there is going to be anything to sign to go against them let me know I will sign.

Jack Knight1979

I emailed my sign shop friends via facebook. I'm fuming right now. It's hard enough to run a business, let alone having a tier 1 supplier overcharging you for material and then stealing your business.

What a slap in the face.

Does anyone have a friend at a trade magazine? Seems like we need a little write up.

CES020

I wonder how many pages this thread has to get to until it affects their shares...?

Infinity. It'll never change anything. Until people with real buying power step up and complain, it's not going to change anything. No disrespect meant to anyone here about their business, but I don't think anyone's buying enough to even get their attention compared to the revenue they get from the car dealers using their products.

It's all about the math, and in this case, math is not on the side of the majority of us.

When they are sitting at the table with Ford, Nissan, etc, do you really think that they give a crap about "Joe's Vehicle Wraps" that wraps 20 cars a month?
I'd guess they don't give a crap.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Dang. This tread is blowing up. Let me plug my favorite brand real quick..

Why I love Oracal:
No tape primer!
Cost is better.
Clarity is untouchable.
In 6 years. Not one defective or blemished roll of media or lam.
The lamination is far superior to any on the market. (most 3M people use it anyhow)
Better customer service.
Real people answer your calls.
Amazing staff! Worked with them on many occasions.
They ONLY MAKE VINYL.

and... Wait for it.... Wait.. They aren't your competition.
NOMO3M :clapping:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We’ve been a long time user of OraCal. We have some 3M in stock, but use the OraCal 10 to 1 over the others.

I will never use A V E R Y…… unless a third party ships it in for installations. That’s just a fact.

As for boycotting 3M, as some have already said, this is most likely a program that’s been in progress far longer than any of you realize and at this point if anything is done, it will be lip service. Sure, you might get some bones thrown your way and be temporarily satisfied, but I highly doubt you’ll change a multi-multi million dollar plan in full swing.

Unfortunately, 3M is watching and monitoring this thread and they can see everything you’re about to do and probably can beat you all to the punch. It would be a better idea to collectively form an alliance and have discussions behind the scenes and get some attorneys, accountants and other necessary people on board and go jointly up against someone so big.

Remember….. A V E R Y was 110% in the wrong and it was proven how many times over and still they did nothing. This time, we have a supplier making money in our own backyard and other than being a little devious or deceptive, they’re doing nothing wrong. So, you’re all gonna have a pretty hard uphill battle on your hands. I’m in with you guys and will help wherever possible, but again…. I think we all need to take this to another level of communication.

Since it is being monitored…. and it is a big contributor to this site, I think we’re doing everyone a disservice in this fashion.

signage

I think if people would have been listening to 3M for a few years they would not be complaining. I know at seminar I was at years ago one of the things they were telling wrap companies was to approach leasing companies about getting wrapping into the ease contract. So if you ignored their advice so be it. They saw an option and not many must have taken their advice so they did it themselves.

ucmj22

We’ve been a long time user of OraCal. We have some 3M in stock, but use the OraCal 10 to 1 over the others.

I will never use A V E R Y…… unless a third party ships it in for installations. That’s just a fact.

As for boycotting 3M, as some have already said, this is most likely a program that’s been in progress far longer than any of you realize and at this point if anything is done, it will be lip service. Sure, you might get some bones thrown your way and be temporarily satisfied, but I highly doubt you’ll change a multi-multi million dollar plan in full swing.

Unfortunately, 3M is watching and monitoring this thread and they can see everything you’re about to do and probably can beat you all to the punch. It would be a better idea to collectively form an alliance and have discussions behind the scenes and get some attorneys, accountants and other necessary people on board and go jointly up against someone so big.

Remember….. A V E R Y was 110% in the wrong and it was proven how many times over and still they did nothing. This time, we have a supplier making money in our own backyard and other than being a little devious or deceptive, they’re doing nothing wrong. So, you’re all gonna have a pretty hard uphill battle on your hands. I’m in with you guys and will help wherever possible, but again…. I think we all need to take this to another level of communication.

Since it is being monitored…. and it is a big contributor to this site, I think we’re doing everyone a disservice in this fashion.

Maybe some are hoping to get 3M to do a 180º, but I think most (at least me) are considering cutting 3M out of their offerings not to try and damage or change their business model, but to simply not feel like an idiot when you pick up the phone and order material from your competition. 3M was the leader in vehicle wrapping media about 6 years ago, but their competition has become so stiff that anyone would be hard pressed to unequivocally label 3M as the single top dog in the industry. So if you have 3/4 players that have a top level product, it is only common sense to use one of the companies that isn't directly competing for you business. It isnt really a matter of boycott or social change/justice, it's merely self preservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.